This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hollywood Greenlit to make Space Battleship Yamato Movie

The article speaks for itself.
http://otakuusamagazine.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0fbf8c968646db498b664ec0c&id=18987396ca&e=842377a0f5

It is being directed by Christoper McQuarrie; a man I know nothing about, except he is making the new Mission Impossible like the article says.

I don't see it being very good, but this guy is a fan of it, so it might be interesting at best. As long as it is better than the Speed Racer live action movie and comes out AFTER 2199 is dubbed, I'm game.

Your thoughts.

Comments

• 1. You lose all credit with me by thinking the Speed Racer movie is anything but the greatest thing ever printed on film.

2. I wonder what it'll look like after Hollywood gets done with it.
  • I just thought it lost most of the spirit of the anime by putting a bunch of Hollywood-est BS that is not typically bad, (I'm not against Americanizing Speed Racer) It just didn't work in this case. I just thought it wasn't very good. Though, the cast was good. I just thought the whole Father-Son arch was BS and the way the real world looked, it looked like something out of a remake of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It might have also been the fact that it was marketed more for kids, that's what really got me. Not so much it was for kids, as it was marketed for kid, and not fans of Speed Racer.

Also, Snake Oilier, what was up with him?
  • 1. You lose all credit with me by thinking the Speed Racer movie is anything but the greatest thing ever printed on film.

Surely you jest.
  • Should this wind up being it's own discussion. I'm genuinely curious about what other people think.
  • Okay, I'm a huge Yamato/Star Blazers fan...

It all depends on how the treatment turns out. That article is lacking in detail, although I'll say I'm mildly positive due to a fan being the guy writing and directing this. However, if it's anything like the proposed Disney abortion from the mid-to-late 90's (including such "interesting" choices as making the Arizona the rebuilt battleship because, America Fuck Yeah! or something), I really don't know...