This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 10

Can't wait for Windows 9? Well, let's just skip ahead.

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Winamp, Winamp 2, Winamp 3, Winamp 5.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Death to the Start Screen!
  • Winamp winamp winamp
  • Rym said:

Winamp winamp winamp

• Rym said:

Winamp winamp winamp

• Just looking at that winamp skin transported me back to high school more thoroughly than I would have expected.
  • pence said:

Just looking at that winamp skin transported me back to high school more thoroughly than I would have expected.

We were in college during that era.
  • I recall those days of having over 100+ animoo skins that would be on shuffle with the music list that would have a crawl on my task bar along with sharing what I was listening to in my AIM profile.
  • Rochelle said:

I recall those days of having over 100+ animoo skins that would be on shuffle with the music list that would have a crawl on my task bar along with sharing what I was listening to in my AIM profile.

We had the same days.
  • Apreche said:

Rochelle said:

I recall those days of having over 100+ animoo skins that would be on shuffle with the music list that would have a crawl on my task bar along with sharing what I was listening to in my AIM profile.

We had the same days.
    Those were good days.

Good days...
  • My playlist back then was full of Maaya Sakamoto and Yoko Kanno tracks. Never really cared for the animoo skins but I still had a few all the same.
  • HEY GUYS. WE'RE ALL OLD!

Well I guess I'm a little younger. I'm only 30. Hah! I'll get off your lawn now.
  • I honestly don't even remember the days of Winamp being a thing people really used.
  • Matt said:

HEY GUYS. WE'RE ALL OLD!

Well I guess I'm a little younger. I'm only 30. Hah! I'll get off your lawn now.

Well it is Throwback Thursday. Plus you have babby (that is awesome), so that's like +5 to old. You come back to our lawn.
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

Rochelle said:

We had the same days.
    Those were good days.

Good days...
    I had almost forgotten those times, before when I wanted music I opened either pandora or youtube.
  • Rym said:

Winamp winamp winamp

Developers, developers developers

• I used to go to mp3 ftp shares and sitez that were basically lists of links to mp3s (that I had to uncook). Napster wasn't even popular yet.

I encoded my first mp3 from a tape recording with a pirated codec in high school. It took over 8 hours to encode one song at 128kbps mono.
  • The Ivory Tower is now the Ivory Retirement Home.
  • Well.

I used to dub mix tapes, and I learned audio mastering primarily to make the mixes sound better on tapes (e.g., less harsh distortion, better high-end, etc...). The first time I had a computer that could record a wav file was... a transcendent moment.
  • I remember using ratio FTP sitez to get most of my music. I never had Napster. I primarily used KaZaa.
  • We're dealing with artisinal bits here, folks. Hand crafted 1s and 0s.
  • Is this why it is Windows 10 (not 9): avoiding Windows 95 detection?

Sounds credible to me. Microsoft relies on backwards compatibility, so there's no way they would want to break it over a name.
  • I don't care what anyone says Winamp fucking sucked.
  • MATATAT said:

I don't care what anyone says Winamp fucking sucked.

Winamp didn't suck. It whipped (the llama's ass).
  • Winamp was awesome because it simply worked. All the other media players went the kitchen sink route.
  • MATATAT said:

How so? It had:

mp3/wav playback
    mod/midi playback
    playlists
    visualization
    EQ

How did it suck? What failing did it have compared to any/all alternatives at the time?

• Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

Winamp didn't suck. It whipped (the llama's ass).
  • Apreche said:

pence said:

Just looking at that winamp skin transported me back to high school more thoroughly than I would have expected.

Pfft. I started with Winamp 2.0 in 1998.

• edited October 2014
    It was definitely the most versatile audio application. It sucked because it was an insane resource hog and was not very well optimized. Say what you will about iTunes or WMP but I never had audio clipping with either of those applications and I would get it pretty freqently with Winamp. It would also slow to a crawl at times. Granted my PC was a POS at the time but I had more trouble with Winamp that it was worth.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Apreche said:

pence said:

Pfft. I started with Winamp 2.0 in 1998.

I tried it way back, but my 486 couldn't decode MP3s. Not until '99 with my Pentium 3 450 did I Amp up my Win.