This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anti-GamerGate Appreciation Thread (Daikun Free Zone)

edited April 2016 in Flamewars
Here's what I see:

Intel gets a sudden influx of people complaining that their ads are surrounding an editorial piece called "Gamers are Dead"

Intel makes millions off of "gamers"

Intel decides to pull the plug on an initial, short run promotional campaign because it's just not worth the trouble.

People complain this is censorship and misogyny - and they blame Intel.

Can someone explain, in rational, level-headed terms, how this is either? I do not comprehend the argument that is on-going in my twitter feed.
Post edited by Andrew on

Comments

• Intel fucked up. They should have ignored the whole thing and realized how many sockpuppets were complaining.

I really question their community manager and PR team's abilities at this point.
  • Perhaps the ad was created by a lady that needs this to succeed to secure her promotion, but it deals in a topic that conflicts with Intel's public image? Either that or angry people on tumblr wanted something new to be angry about, so they hid facts about the event and insulted women about it for good measure. Pick whichever sounds most likely.
  • As I said on Twitter, this is great news.

Let's start an e-mail campaign to every single PR department. One campaign per media outlet. Coke + NBC, Coke + ABC, Coke + CBS, Coke + NFL, and so on and so forth. If we eventually hit them all, there will be no more ads anywhere ever.
  • I understand that it's a knee-jerk reaction from Intel (and why the fuck is PR so quite about this), but looking at it from a business point of view I can see why they'd want to pull their ads from Gamasutra - in the long term you don't want a brand that is trying to attract games to purportedly support a site that is declaring gamers to be dead.

From a marketing standpoint, that's a pretty big conflict of interest.

I just don't get why that means Intel hates women. Nobody has explained this to me; yet, my Twitter (and now Facebook) feed keeps lighting up with "Intel hates women" over and over again. I don't see the connection in logic.
  • ThatGent said:

Perhaps the ad was created by a lady that needs this to succeed to secure her promotion, but it deals in a topic that conflicts with Intel's public image? Either that or angry people on tumblr wanted something new to be angry about, so they hid facts about the event and insulted women about it for good measure. Pick whichever sounds most likely.

Those both sound conspiratorial and silly.

The most likely answer is that the Intel PR person involved was clueless, saw a bunch of sockpuppet rage, misjudged its origin/legitimacy, and made a bad call to back away rather than correctly ignoring it.

The whole "gamergate" thing isn't really even worthy of much discussion. It's a circle jerk of sockpuppet accounts misunderstanding the basics of advertising and editorial review spewing misogyny and anger under a thin veneer of being angry about ill-defined (and largely conspiratorially-explained) "corruption." It's a joke at best.

I am honestly amazed that Intel in any way engaged with it.

• As with most things when someone fucks up, there is a true dichotomy. Intel was either ignorant or malicious. I'm pretty sure they were ignorant. But if they are not ignorant, then indeed their PR department made an anti-woman move by knowingly bowing to the demands of gamergate.
  • I think they probably realized quickly that they fucked up, but are professionals. If you fuck up like this, the only response is to be silent afterward. Don't admit the fuck-up, and don't engage anyone. Just let everything blow by.

CIP, Gabe should have just stayed quiet about Dickwolves after the initial brouhaha.
  • I have come to the conclusion that both sides of the argument are retards and don't stand for anything but themselves.
  • I don't think there are two sides. There is the hashtag sockpuppet cloud on twitter. There is no coherent "opposite" side to take.
  • I don't disagree. I just want to know why one sockpuppet cloud wants me to think Intel is bad.
  • LordKaT said:

I don't disagree. I just want to know why one sockpuppet cloud wants me to think Intel is bad.

Well, the cloud thinks Intel is good now for "agreeing with them" and pulling ads on "controversial" sites. It's like a big sad joke.

• What was the original article the gamegaters were annoyed with? Was it about them? About sexism? Anyone got a link?
  • Rym said:

Well, the cloud thinks Intel is good now for "agreeing with them" and pulling ads on "controversial" sites. It's like a big sad joke.

Mm... I disagree wholeheartedly. There are many real individuals - many of whom I've partied with at various cons - that are involved in "the twitter cloud", and they're not sockpuppets.

If you're going to dehumanize an opinion, Rym, perhaps we should end this conversation here, because I can guarantee you that nothing good will come out of it.

What was the original article the gamegaters were annoyed with? Was it about them? About sexism? Anyone got a link?

I think it was this one that they threw a hissyfit over: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224400/Gamers_dont_have_to_be_your_audience_Gamers_are_over.php
  • LordKaT said:

If you're going to dehumanize an opinion, Rym, perhaps we should end this conversation here, because I can guarantee you that nothing good will come out of it.

What opinion in particular?

I haven't seen a real complaint from the GamerGate hashtag that didn't amount to vague conspiratorial claims about "journalistic integrity" with little basis or backing, or else vague fears of "SJWs ruining gaming" somehow. There's also that entirely fake "NotYourShield" tag that went along with it.
  • That's a good read. I like the message. The tone seems intentional, and it got the required result, it seems.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2014

That's a good read. I like the message. The tone seems intentional, and it got the required result, it seems.

It's a tame editorial at best. Seems like a weird thing to be "outraged" over. I can't imagine the kind of person who is viscerally angry about something like that.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2014

That's a good read. I like the message. The tone seems intentional, and it got the required result, it seems.

I hope the result was neither desired nor required.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • From what I gather, the randos semi-organized a complaint generation campaign about it aimed at Intel to try to provoke a reaction. Sort of like how the PTC operates re: the FCC.
  • If you are offended by having an opinion challenged, you are need to re-evaluate your personal ethos.
  • An opinion isn't a complaint. All I've seen are very hotly contested opinions, and no real complaints.

Still, calling these people sockpuppets is dehumanizing that opinion (unless, of course, you have proof that these are fake accounts, which I would be interested in seeing).

Whether you think it's valid or not doesn't matter - it's still their opinion. As far as I'm concerned I think that the thought should be approach respectfully, as it's the only way to really deconstruct an argument and come to an acceptable conclusion ... but I guess that's boring stuff better saved for CSPAN.

Anyway, my original question was avoided entirely, and this has me frustrated at the moment. I don't really care to talk about GamerGate. My only interest is in digging into the mentality of using loaded buzzwords to describe someone/something you disagree with/don't like.
  • That's a good read. I like the message. The tone seems intentional, and it got the required result, it seems.

Leigh writes good stuff. I didn't understand the hate over the article. I still don't get it.
  • Most of those twitter accounts all follow eachother, were created around the same time when GamerGate started being used as a hashtag, and tweet nothing but Gamergate.

I am 100% confident that the vast majority of the people using the NotYourShield tag are fake.
  • Also, when it first started, I asked on the hashtag what this was all about, and if anyone could explain it. Most of them sent me links to a handful of Youtube videos.

The videos were vile. Honestly vile. Long, rambling, fearful of and angry at women. Every single one of them.
  • Which videos? The ones I watched were stupid, but I wouldn't have labeled them as vile.
  • This awful video was the most commonly sent to me by #GamerGate and #NotYourShield people...

(I do not endorse the bullshit in this video).
  • Could you explain why it's vile? I thought it was rather dumb, but what makes it vile?
  • There's a thick undertone of sexism, and the repeated use of the "Five Guys" theme turns it into a straight-up overtone. It both claims that this isn't the issue, and then harps on it repeatedly.

" don't care that Zoe Quin fucked five guys." -queue picture of Five Guys restaurant.
    "I don't care that Zoe Quinn cheats on people that she's in a relationship with."

That whole segment reeks of "I say I don't care about this thing, but I bring it up repeatedly to villify my enemy because I do care and I know you will too."
  • InternetAristocrat's videos are all the exact same. It's like video game tabloid bullshit. When there was some nonsense with the community manager for Might No. 9 I asked in a comments section if someone could elaborate why she was hated. Someone sent me one of his videos that would help me understand why I should dislike her and I just lol'd.
  • This one was also commonly sent to me:

Dude basically is an apologist for the harassment and death threats Anita received.
  • Got this one a few times too. It's mostly just MRA stuff.