This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

edited October 2014 in Video Games
How much do I suck at this game?

I've been playing classic with every character. I've been on difficulty level 3 or 4 depending on how comfortable I am with the character. When characters got unlocked, I had a hard time beating them. I think it took 4+ tries to beat Duck Hunt.

I got curious and turned up the difficulty all the way to the maximum. I chose Zero Suit Samus, just because that was the next character I hadn't used yet. I ended up going without dying all the way to the boss. Then it got bad. I lost to the boss so many times the difficulty got all the way down to 5.something before I won.

Also, clearly when it comes to direct fighting 1v1 I also suck. I think I just don't understand even the most basic strategies of this game. I try to get near the opponent and attack in their direction. That's pretty much it. Against anyone actually good I can't seem to even land one hit, they dodge, block, or counter-attack. Meanwhile when they come to hit me and I try to evade, I get hit anyway.

Also, I've gotten used to the button controls, but not the analog stick. Far too often the game does what I don't want it to do. When I beat the game as Charizard I had the hardest time. His special right or left move has him flying very far in one direction. Every time I used this move it was suicide. He went straight off the screen, and I couldn't recover. W T F. I was afraid to use the B button at all in fear of doing that move by accident. And yes, it did happen by accident many times.

There are only three attack buttons in smash, attack, special, and grab. Yet, each button does so many completely different things based on whether you are airborne or grounded, whether running, walking, or still, and the movement of the analog stick. Thus, the precise and quick manipulation of that little pad counts for everything.

The biggest problem I have, with every character, is simply attacking in the wrong direction. Let's say I'm going left. I want to turn around and attack. I move the stick to the right and press attack. If I press attack slightly too soon (often) I'll actually attack to the left. Uncancellable attack animations will leave me completely vulnerable to the enemy on the right. The air will take a lot of damage, though. Even if I press attack during/after pressing right, milliseconds determine whether that is just going to be an attack, or a smash. If it's an unintended smash, and I don't let go fast enough I will be completely vulnerable charging up a smash. But if I'm Pikachu or someone with a rapid-fire attack, I WANT to hold down attack.

I was born too late for this shit. We need an old fogey's league. No kids allowed.
Post edited by Apreche on

Comments

• Damn. You seem to be having quite a bit of trouble. I would suggest turning off jumping via analog stick, as it may let you work in the tilt+A attacks a bit better. I think you might be well suited for a character that does a lot of dash+A attacks and a lot of side and down aerials.

So far I've cleared Classic with a few characters, but managed to do it on 6.0 with my main, Pikachu. I tried fucking around with Mario at 7.0, and went down the Crazy Hand + Master Hand path, holy shit is that boss hard! It dialed down to 5.5 before I could beat it.

Fri and Sat were a lag-fest for me online. Yesterday and today are much better, and I am cleaning house in 4-player For Glory matches. Might be luck, who knows, but I feel like I've shaken off all of the Pikachu rust now, and have adapted really well to how the character has changed. His dash attack went from shit to absolutely friggin awesome, his smashes are all weakened but have nice larger hitboxes, and his down+B lightning is much harder to KO with, as the cloud is much lower in the sky, and actually knocks opponents down if they get hit in the cloud, not up.

All in all, that means Pikachu is a much deadlier weapon for racking up damage, but not a KO machine anymore. Very excited that I am wining timed battles in spite of this, and very much looking forward to having lots of friends over for stock battles. I wish that online public mode had stock battles.

I'm very slowly working through 5-min training sessions with the rest of the characters. I did the whole top row, and I'm very very impressed with the changes to Bowser. The dude is FAST! Peach now has some serious punch. Rosalina + Luma is such a unique character that it makes me want to sink some serious time in and master her. The rest of the top row characters are "nope nope, not for me."
  • I just unlocked all the stages and characters. I then managed to pull off the first challenge panel only to see panel two and went -_-
  • edited October 2014
    I am considering modding my 3ds to use a gamecube controller lol...

I was super sad that I got Ness on the first run and lost to him!!!! damn it.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I think the only chars I have left are ones you seem to just need to play matches to unlock.
  • I did turn off jumping by analog stick, long long ago.
  • Wii U version is confirmed for Nov 21st.

Sadly, a year+ into Wii U and Nintendo still can't put out more than one first party game at a time. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, which by all means should be an A+ puzzle game, has been delayed into 1Q 2015.
  • edited October 2014
    I've found the best method to beating master hand on intense is to bring a character with counter. Then you just need to need to patiently learn tells for each form. Just need to learn sword form and I can break that 8.5 barrier.
    Post edited by ThatGent on
  • Just unlocked the last character yesterday. I haven't done a lot of online matches because some lags on my first couple games soured me on it. Unfortunately, far fewer of my friends bought it than I expected (1 rather than 4) so I don't do too much multiplayer, but one of the great things about being in college is that i can just challenge a random person who has a 3DS out.
  • I'm down for smashing if I'm not board gaming
  • I'm going through the challenges right now. What is "Final Smash?" Is that when you break the Smash Ball? Is there a way to set it to appear more frequently?
  • Break smash ball then perform a smash move.
  • Coldguy said:

Break smash ball then perform a smash move.

Ok, wait. After I break the smash ball I usually just press B to activate. That's not a smash move, that's a special move. Smash move would be A plus a direction. Is there actually a whole set of moves I didn't know about?

• I would set up a 5-stock battle. It's pretty much guaranteed to appear at least once in a game that goes that long. Also, if you are working through challenges, make sure you know that the challenge-skipping hammers you win do NOT carry over to the next set of challenges, so use them on the challenges you dread the most.
  • You are correct it is A Plus direction, however the direction needs to be timed to pull it off. If you want to practice this train with nothing but home run bats, which require a smash to pull off an instant KO.
  • Matt said:

I would set up a 5-stock battle. It's pretty much guaranteed to appear at least once in a game that goes that long. Also, if you are working through challenges, make sure you know that the challenge-skipping hammers you win do NOT carry over to the next set of challenges, so use them on the challenges you dread the most.

There's ANOTHER SET??!?!?!
    Coldguy said:

You are correct it is A Plus direction, however the direction needs to be timed to pull it off. If you want to practice this train with nothing but home run bats, which require a smash to pull off an instant KO.

I'm actually really good at swinging the bat. I'm just really bad at hitting anyone that doesn't just fall into my lap.
  • There's a third set of challenges as well. And as for moves you might not know about, there are "tilts", which involve moving the analog stick part way in a direction and hitting A. I hate trying to do tilts.
  • I will begin playing soon. (It arrived while I was in Vegas).

If I do not suck, then Scott is indeed an ancient creature. If I suck, then pretend I said everything Scott did. ;^)
  • Man, I'm only like 2 years younger than you guys. I hope old man hands are not right around the corner.
  • It's literally that all my smash experience has been on a gamecube controller, so the analog on the 3ds is not cutting it. I mean I've used that controller for now two versions of the game Wii and Gamecube.
  • This thread has convinced me NOT to buy Smash on 3DS.
  • yea and apparently they are releasing the GameCube controller again with the Smash Wii U so I guess I'll have a third one I'm using that controller for :-p
  • All my Smash experience has been on a GC controller. I would use the Wiimote on Brawl on occasion to give people a slight edge over me though. These controls are not too bad once you get used to them but it's still difficult to do shorthops with any consistency on the 3DS so I sorta end up initiating an aerial A and then pulling down on the stick to limit my height.

Sheik is no longer a floaty mess from Brawl and you can actually play her with some consistency in this version it seems. I haven't tried a lot of the characters yet but I did give Robin a try and (s)he has some pretty devastating moves. A lot of the characters seemed to have moved more towards Melee style more which is nice. It's still not at the breakneck speed of Melee but I am enjoying it way more than Brawl.
  • edited October 2014
    Cremlian said:

yea and apparently they are releasing the GameCube controller again with the Smash Wii U so I guess I'll have a third one I'm using that controller for :-p

Will it be wireless or plug into a wii-mote?

Edit: a USB dongle with 4 GC ports.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Cremlian said:
    Just wait. The next console will be backward compatible with Wii U. That's what I'm waiting on.
  • Apreche said:

Cremlian said:
    Just wait. The next console will be backward compatible with Wii U. That's what I'm waiting on.
    The last console cycle lasted 7 years! Good luck playing the next Nintendo console with THOSE old hands in 2019, or more like 2021 when the next Smash is released. :P

Assuming they are not bankrupt by then.

It's an interesting idea though, the possibility of owning a console exclusively for ONE game, or perhaps, just a few. What is the value of that game? Is Smash that ONE game that is so good that it's worth getting a Wii U?? Lol, maybe... !!
  • Well I would probably play the other Nintendo first party games.
  • Cremlian said:

Well I would probably play the other Nintendo first party games.

Oh yeah, there are other games too, no doubt. But if you hadn't brought a Wii U yet, would Smash push you over?
  • If anyone wants to play my friend code (screw Nintendo) is: 2191-7642-4649, at least they aren't game dependent anymore.
  • Steam on an HTPC + Wii U is the wave of the future. Join me in my irresponsible purchase!