This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Sunglasses

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about sunglasses. Also a little at the end about roller coasters. Ecigs definitely leave an odor residue (distinctive of "brown permanent marker"). Apple announced some stuff, including a ridiculous monitor we both want but can't get. There was also a squandered incident involving a fan.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Re: Полигон

The film was drawn in an unusual animation technique called photographica that consists of two celluloid layers for each character with special color schemes and with one of the layers out of focus to imitate the three-dimensional space rendering. The animation then actively moves the virtual camera to change perspective dynamically for each scene and give a sense of realism, without the use of any CGI methods (which weren't available at the time).
  • I was afraid you wouldn't include the BluBlockers rap. You need the accompanying visual for the full effect, though:
  • Mr. Sketch

• Matt said:

Mr. Sketch

I recently bought a box of Mr. Sketch on Amazon. I'm pretty sure that's not the ones Rym was talking about.
  • PG is nearly odorless and VG is also. Its more than likely its the e-juice flavoring. Though I can't imagine what flavor of e-juice would leave a brown marker smell. Most popular e-juice flavors are fruits and dessert ones.
  • The smell of the juice is just a smell that doesn't seem to linger. There's another more subtle smell that seems to accumulate over time in the area of users regardless of their flavor preferences.
  • edited October 2014
    That is interesting. I've been to several vape shops were they have what they call a vape bar. At these vape bars folks can try out all kinds of different juices. And I've never smelled anything like a marker smell at those shops before. Maybe the office carpeting is absorbing the smells. The vape shops do not have any kind of carpeting.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • That is interesting. I've been to several vape shops were they have what they call a vape bar. At these vape bars folks can try out all kinds of different juices. And I've never smelled anything like a marker smell at those shops before. Maybe the office carpeting is absorbing the smells. The vape shops do not have any kind of carpeting.

Or maybe because you smoke your nose doesn't work.
  • I have noticed a smell. I bought a vape thing once to give it a try and I left it sitting in my drawer at home and when you open the drawer there is a distinct odor that comes from the bottle of liquid. I have like the generic flavor stuff, not supposed to smell like tobacco or anything.
  • Apreche said:

That is interesting. I've been to several vape shops were they have what they call a vape bar. At these vape bars folks can try out all kinds of different juices. And I've never smelled anything like a marker smell at those shops before. Maybe the office carpeting is absorbing the smells. The vape shops do not have any kind of carpeting.

I don't smoke. I never liked cigarettes. My nose is kinda of shot though because as a kid I would get serious nose bleeds from the dry climate I lived in.
  • Apreche said:

I don't smoke. I never liked cigarettes. My nose is kinda of shot though because as a kid I would get serious nose bleeds from the dry climate I lived in.
    Then why are you going to all these places?
  • Pertaining to the iMac, Apple offers a mountable version (to my surprise):
    iMac with Retina 5K display and Built-in VESA Mount Adapter

According to AnandTech's Hands-On article, it is not a multi-tile display. They speculate that the panel is the same as in Dell's upcoming 27" 5k monitor. Twitter tells me that it runs at 60 Hz, but that it can't be used as an external monitor.
  • edited October 2014
    The vape shops? My cousin smokes a small type of cigar. Its got cloves in them they're called Djarums. I started researching on ecigs as possible alternative for him. I then got interested in trying a ecig for myself. Tried them out for a few months. And then recently quit the ecigs cold turkey with no noticeable withdrawals.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I thought Dell's upcoming 5k monitor was two in one.
  • Re: Glass being irritating on the right ear.

I have the same problem over long periods of time, and the prescription frames don't have any effect on it. I usually switch out for my normal frames when I get home from work.
  • MATATAT said:

I have noticed a smell. I bought a vape thing once to give it a try and I left it sitting in my drawer at home and when you open the drawer there is a distinct odor that comes from the bottle of liquid. I have like the generic flavor stuff, not supposed to smell like tobacco or anything.

Seconded. It's rather sweet, if anything. Hard to say if it has a particular smell, though - to me, the stuff I use smells a bit like apple rings candy when it's in the bottle. Smells the same, but fainter once it's used. I've encountered some with wicked strong smells, though. I've got two others that I got as a gift, one smells like raspberry, the other smells like Hawaiian punch.
  • Having tried a lot of different flavor juices. The best tasting and smelling juices for me were ones that had a cinnamon base to them. With one exception which was a peanut butter cookie juice that was pretty amazing.
  • I have a similar experience with buying good sunglasses as Scott, I've had the same pair of Oakley sunglasses for almost 13 years, just switching out the rubber parts 3 or so times and replacing the lenses once. Since they are wire frames, they didn't appear out of fashion.