This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX AUS 2014 OCT 30-NOV 1, 2014

124»

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • Sorry I missed the meet up - was having Teppanyaki and getting horribly drunk in the suburbs. I'll be in Tabletop most of the weekend, about to play some OD&D. I'm on the twitters at @IshmaelDummy and have some games with me, can bring others such as Burning Wheel if there is interest as with last year.

Table availability looking much better this time and there are loads of game stalls if you're looking to spend money.
  • For the first time since 2007 there is a PAX somewhere on Earth and I am not at it.

FUCK
  • I'd appreciate one too :) If its not too much trouble :)
  • Dimitri I sent msg on G+ but in case it didn't work can you add me to hangout? Thanks!
  • Apreche said:

For the first time since 2007 there is a PAX somewhere on Earth and I am not at it.

FUCK

Feel those feels, and now multiply by a factor of 3 or 4 to get the appropriate ratio for people in other countries.

Dimitri I sent msg on G+ but in case it didn't work can you add me to hangout? Thanks!

Done.
  • Burning Wheel was played at PAX Aus!

• PAX AUS 2014 highlights:
    General:
    - Meeting all the peoples!
    - Great breakfast every day (Hardware Societe in particular is great)

Thursday:
    - Met my friend Blair / Mizigoth (he played the knight in BW)
    - Dessert @ Lindt chocolate shop
    - Watched Blair play DDR (I tried for the first time and failed miserably)
    - Failed to understand the rules of Pandemic properly, but Mark was there so I blame him too

Friday:
    - Wizard!
    - Played (and won) Magic at a German beerhall (Munich)
    - Cool hangings out, board games, and Pho with Paul, Prad, Jake and Julian

Saturday:
    - Met a friend (a Diamond ADC) from League of Legends
    - Losing (Rym's panel; less so the actual losing)
    - Learned T&E for reals
    - Dinner with Prad (beerhall again)
    - Post-PAX drinks (beerhall again) with Prad, Bane, Jess, Rym, and a cool Youtube guy whose name I have forgotten (hopefully I haven't forgotten anyone else, too)

Sunday:
    - Amun Re
    - 13 minute Splendor game (with a new player, no less)
    - Awesome Burning Wheel session (many thanks to Ishmael Dummy / Paul)
    - Epic post-PAX meetup (Mrs Parma's <3)

Monday:
    - Long breakfast hangings out with Paul, his brother Gavin, and Rym
    - Dumplings + enforcers
  • I am home. So, I'm basically going to shower, eat, then sack out. Shit was fuckin' mental. I'll type more things later.
  • I had an absolutely amazing time at PAX AUS :)

Was so great to meet various forumites, and play so many different games with everyone! Winning the Game of Games tournament was definitely a nice added bonus. Pleasant side effect of playing so many new (to me) games.

I think Bane and I are going to buy a copy of Spendor and refine the 'speed' rules with our friends. That was nuts.

I hope you enjoyed the Enforcer after party Churba, you definitely earned it!

• Assorted selection highlights from PAX:

- This twitter conversation.

- Also breakfasts, but at Walker's Coffee and Doughnuts because Hardware resembles real food too much.

- Afternoon Coffee, doughnut and a Kransky with Casa Vino and Mrs Vino, who is (as expected) also a total fucking champ.

- Meeting everyone else - Mamath, Bane(there is a picture on the internet of me drunkenly rubbing my face on his beard), Koe, and other new people. Also, re-meeting the rest of the Aus Division - Cheese, Sk0pe, the Vinos.

- The super brassy stunt with Badges at Khoo&A, and overhearing snatches of conversation about "The badge guy" throughout the weekend.

- Wizard. MOTHER FUCKING WIZARD. I lost hard(but with style), and it was super fun, I might even pick up a copy.

- "Quick, Follow Prad!" "Does he know where we're going?" "fucking hope so we're following him"

- World of Warships demo with the WoT devs. It's everything WoT should be, IE, fun.

- The genuinely startled looks on my crew's faces the first time I called in a panel.

- The genuinely startled looks on the faces of the crews at divvy lounge and the next theatre over the first time I called in a panel.

- Packing the Feminisim in gaming panel to 100% capacity and slightly then some.

- Random Cosplayer from the Wizards Panel making a point to come over afterward specifically to say "Holy shit, your voice, goddamn"

- The look on Langri's face at that first bite of Chicken Parma, after constant assurances that it would be worth it.

- Hungover hanging out post-post-PAX drinks.

- Hanging out with Aaron C, though it was usually brief.

- Having my post-pax depression staved off by another enforcer showing up out of the blue at the airport and hanging out for a while.
  • I'm so happy that you guys are playing Splendor with speed style. I almost want to do a show just on that idea (since we have our traditional Speedstyle Seven Wonders game at Prime).
  • Starfox said:

Rym, you forgot "use the fancy-pants Marantz to record Australians' fake American accents" on the schedule.

This did occur, if you switch out "Marantz" for "Take a video on your phone"
  • Yes! That's like my favorite thing.
  • edited November 2014
    Highlights in addition to meeting everyone -
    - Meeting famous fragrance connoisseur / celebrity Churba
    - Being threatened to be thrown in the river by Churba
    - Walking around Melbourne drinking sake out of water cups with Churba and AaronC while surrounded by group
    - Watching Bane apologise to Koeniou for stealing her friends
    - Board Gaming with everyone
    - Standouts - Wizard, Tigris and Euphrates, Splendor, speed Coup and speed Splendor
    - Placing way higher than I thought in the Ultra Street Fighter 4 tournament after being pulled into fill
    - Actually acceptable and good food at South Wharf with lackofcheese, Rym, Mammath
    - Mrs Parm's directing 3 or 4 people around the city through Hangouts, finding out that what Mrs Parm's thinks is spicy is really not spicy
    - The great battle of Resistance vs Enlightened at the Asian Beer Cafe

Next year I'll probably go out for breakfast, being 5 minutes walk to PAX was great.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • sK0pe said:

- Walking around Melbourne drinking sake out of water cups with Churba and AaronC while surrounded by group

Nah man, that was Ramon, from Perth. Aaron is a different dude, from the states.

• Churba said:

sK0pe said:

Nah man, that was Ramon, from Perth. Aaron is a different dude, from the states.

My bad, I think I even met Aaron on day 1 when at tabletop but didn't see him afterwards.
  • Rym said:

I'm so happy that you guys are playing Splendor with speed style. I almost want to do a show just on that idea (since we have our traditional Speedstyle Seven Wonders game at Prime).

During the road trip back home Bane and I had a discussion about other games we'd love to try speed style. Would love to hear you guys talk about it!

Still amazed at how a $5 game we picked up at random last PAX AUS turned out to be such a hit. It was great seeing so many people playing Wizard.

• edited January 2015
    Did we share a bunch of photos for last years PAX Aus anywhere?
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • I didn't take many if any, and if anyone else did, I've not heard of/seen 'em yet.
  • Rym put some on his Twitter I think, and I've put some on my personal Facebook. I didn't take many though.
  • I have a ton that I haven't processed yet.
  • I do have at least one on my phone.