This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Android: Netrunner

Comments

• The card pool is tiny compared to Magic, but huge compared to poker. The possible combinations are also tiny compared to Magic, but huge when stacked up against player selection and positioning in the NFL, and that's probably the most complex athletic sport out there.

Personally I can do without any and all jargon in sport (which is why I enjoy watching with non-english commentary just as much as commentary I can understand), but inscrutable jargon mixed with no clear winner heuristics means it'll remain the opposite of a spectator sport.

Which is a pity, as I really enjoy watching poker, but would love the option of watching a more complex card game if I fancied it. I thought Netrunner might be that.
  • The possible combinations are also tiny compared to Magic, but huge when stacked up against player selection and positioning in the NFL, and that's probably the most complex athletic sport out there.

I actually think you are quite wrong here. The number of different plays, routes, and formations available in football are probably on par, if not larger, than the number of cards in Netrunner.

• Rym said:

This is only fixed with high production values on the streams. Multiple commentators explaining what's in both hands and what the options are, infographics explaining potential interactions, motion graphics of the play-by-play during a run.

Without all of that, it's impossible to watch these streams unless you play Netrunner and know the rules/cards well.

Team Covenant actually does this quite well. For example, they show credit/agenda points and also show the card image and rules for pretty much every card played.

Also, I would also recommend watching their data pack unboxing because they go deep into the cards and their interactions. Think of it as post/pre game analysis you'd see in sports.

• Andrew said:

The possible combinations are also tiny compared to Magic, but huge when stacked up against player selection and positioning in the NFL, and that's probably the most complex athletic sport out there.

I actually think you are quite wrong here. The number of different plays, routes, and formations available in football are probably on par, if not larger, than the number of cards in Netrunner.

Okay, but those combinations are decided on each play, are carried out, and then have an obvious and undeniable impact on the winner heuristic... and all within six to fifteen seconds.

So while the play may be very complex, the outcome isn't. Did the ball move up the field? By how many yards? Was there a loss of possession?

With Netrunner the complexity isn't resolved down to success/failure for up to 40 minutes. That's 40 minutes of Numberwang to non experts, not six seconds.

• Taught Lyddi netrunner tonight. She beat me first game of course.
  • We used to have a crappy Meetup.com thing, but now we are fixing our shit. If you want to play Netrunner in NYC, we now have the info for you.

Google Calendar

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=nycnetrunner@gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

Twitter

https://twitter.com/nycnetrunner

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NYCNetrunner/
  • Apreche said:

pence said:

Oh shit more anarch run events.

Here's what I'm excited about:

Qianju PT. Amazing theme and art. Also, Joshua B is riding that shit all the way to victory town.

u w0t m8?

but srs, Sage cloud decks are going to be pretty spectacular. just watch out for cortex locks

• Last night, we're playing wacky decks.

Corp installs a naked Shell Corporation on a Snare.

I play Queen's Gambit and Singularity, spending my whole turn to get 2 credits and trash everything in the server.

We both laugh.

Corp stares me down, plays Archived Memories, Archived Memories and gets them back, presumably because it's funny.

We both laugh more.
  • edited November 2014
    Did you finally build sleepytime quetzal or was it still just whizzard power nap?

Edit: Link to mine
    Post edited by belkalra on
  • Noise, actually. He just parties and gets money for Crypsis runs.
  • I thought NetrunnerDB was going away, did someone strike a deal?
  • Raithnor said:

I thought NetrunnerDB was going away, did someone strike a deal?

No deal, Alsciende just decided to ignore the C&D letter. Probably nothing will happen.
  • hopefully nothing will happen
  • edited November 2014
    What do you guys think of the Caissa theme? I'm really interested in running with Reina + Deep Red with a full set of Rook/Knights and a couple of Bishops. Of course, I'd be running the standard suite of Anarch Icebreakers, but I definitely am intrigued by the "Chess" theme of these cards.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Knight is a great aggressive AI breaker, Rook is fine with credit denial, Pawn brings your Knights back, and no one plays Bishop :P

Blue Sun now ruins your day.
  • pence said:

Knight is a great aggressive AI breaker, Rook is fine with credit denial, Pawn brings your Knights back, and no one plays Bishop :P

Blue Sun now ruins your day.

Move your pieces to unrezzed ICE. OR play Crescentus and Shutdown to keep things unrezzed. Derezzing really hurts Blue Sun and also really helps Raina. You can turn that weakness into a strength if you pull it off.
  • edited November 2014
    I've been looking at some Caissa netdecks, and it seems that no one actually uses Pawn, but usually use 2x Bishop. Is there a reason for this? Instead of Pawn, it seems people like to use Clone Chips instead.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • VentureJ said:

I've been looking at some Caissa netdecks, and it seems that no one actually uses Pawn, but usually use 2x Bishop. Is there a reason for this?

I see a lot of pawn play in NYC. I especially see a lot of people just using Rook/Pawn for econ denial. They basically always keep the Rooks out so you have to pay a fortune to rez ICE. There are also the ridiculous people who play Exile Pawn with Scheherezade shenanigans.
  • These cards...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Netrunner/comments/2nfqst/order_and_chaos_text_spoilers/

This is why I keep playing this game. Oh joyous day!
  • I had a dream featuring Netrunner last night. It was weird. It reminded me that I once made a game called Evil Empires that revolved around researching face-down cards while your opponent sent spies and saboteurs and assassins and sometimes accidentally double agents to stop you from completing them. The game was fun, but I never played it enough to get the balance correct. Some cards swung bewtween overpowered and useless.
  • The Anarch cards seem amazing. As a casual player, these cards blow my mind. This will keep me going for months.
  • Live streaming today.

I need to play a fuckton more games cause I suck :(
  • Let me know what packs you have. I need to go through my stuff to send you things.
  • Just picked up Order and Chaos, which is kinda blowing my mind. I may end up mainlining Argus Security, since I am all about those Flatline victories.
  • Advance all the ice!!
  • Andrew said:

Advance all the ice!!

Immediately lose to anyone who plays d4v1d. Which is everyone right now because anarchs.
  • I'm so glad that a card like d4v1d exists, since it really adds a more dynamic element to Corp gameplay. You can't just feel super safe behind incredibly powerful ice, but it isn't such a centralizing card that's impossible to stop (due to its inherently limited nature).