This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hoverboards are now a reality.

Comments

• That's not a hoverboard, that's a one person maglev traincar.
  • You bojo! Those boards don't work on water!
  • edited October 2011
    Unless you've got POWER!
    Post edited by J.Sharp on
  • edited October 2011
    Bwa ha ha ha ha!
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • It is also using that "freezing magnetic field" thingy, that was used as a Scrym thing of the day the other day.
  • You mean, quantum locking? I wonder if the weight of the quantum locked object is included when manipulating the support object? I would hazard a guess that it is, although it is levitating.
  • So they have exactly four years (as of today!) to make it commercially viable.
  • So, it's back again.

You bojo! Those boards don't work on water!

Actually, they do.
  • I assume the water pressure is coming from the jet ski to which the hose is attached. I'm surprised the jet ski is powerful enough. How much fuel does that use?
  • edited June 2014
    Apreche said:

I assume the water pressure is coming from the jet ski to which the hose is attached. I'm surprised the jet ski is powerful enough. How much fuel does that use?

I'm not suprised that it's got the power - a regular jetski is heavier than a person+howevermuch the board/hose weighs. The models they have nozzle adapters are in the 250-300 kilo range, and pushing that much weight through water isn't easy - they usually top out at about 100 km/h, where a motorbike with roughly the same weight and horsepower (like some current year BMW bikes) will hit 300 km/h, bone stock.

As for how much fuel they use, well that's a bit of a "How long is a piece of string" question, but usually more modern jetskis will drink about 15 litres an hour when they're going around 55 km/h.

Of course, how that compares to operating like this, I have no idea - shoving water through a pipe to lift something is pretty different to shoving it down a much shorter pipe to push 250 kilos through water.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • There's no power source great enough, compact enough for hoverboards to be feasible. That goes for lightsabers too.

Give up the dream. Physics is finite.

More power = more mass
  • Fusion reactor. Matter-antimatter annihilation.

Plenty o power. Just give it a century or five.
  • If the Q-Drive turns to be real and all of science is a lie, then it might have the thrust necessary to hoverboard.
  • Turns out they have a faulty design which causes them to catch fire.

Well, that sucks.
  • Those things aren't fucking hoverboards.
  • Pegu said:

Those things aren't fucking hoverboards.

• I assume everyone in this thread already saw this.
  • ArcaBoard

It works, but since this technology is still in its infancy, it has major drawbacks.
  • Drawbacks being $20k price tag, little to no control of the thing, and a 6 minute battery life.