This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - What Phone Should Rym Buy?

Comments

• Just buy a damn phone man! The Z3 Compact is clearly the only thing that's anywhere close to the form factor you want. I would have bought that if I knew it was going to come out so soon, but I have the Moto X already and now a house so buying another phone is out.

But, my Nexus 4 is still working fine. My plan is really to only upgrade if it finally dies (it does have a big crack in the back) or I get a deal on a Z3. (Or the Z4 that's coming next year leaks as having an even more compact compact version).

• Rym said:

So, for a full size comparison

iPhone 4 115 × 58.6 × 9.3 mm
    Nexus S 124 × 63.0 × 10.8 mm
    Z3 Comp 127 × 64.9 × 8.6 mm
    Nexus 4 134 × 68.7 × 9.1 mm
    iPhone 6 138 × 67.0 × 6.9 mm
    Nexus 6 159 × 83.0 × 10.1 mm
    iPhone 5/5S 124 × 58.6 × 7.6 mm ← A Challenger Appears
    Time to place bets for the iPhone 6S's size.
  • 2016 - iPhone nano, the savior.
  • If Rym buys the same phone as me I'll be validated for geek cred for like, a whole two months! :p
  • Note 4, it comes with a handy carrying case
  • Apreche said:

2016 - iPhone nano, the savior.

Then we'll get the new trend where we get the iPhone nano and a Pip Boy that we all wear for the rest of our lives.
  • edited November 2014
    Rym said:

So, for a full size comparison

iPhone 4 115 × 58.6 × 9.3 mm
    Nexus S 124 × 63.0 × 10.8 mm
    Z3 Comp 127 × 64.9 × 8.6 mm
    Nexus 4 134 × 68.7 × 9.1 mm
    iPhone 6 138 × 67.0 × 6.9 mm
    Nexus 6 159 × 83.0 × 10.1 mm
    iPhone 5/5S 124 × 58.6 × 7.6 mm ← A Challenger Appears
    I am still really surprised that you are not yet considering last year's Moto X (given that you are also considering re-buying a two year old Nexus phone). I feel like I've tossed it into the ring a few times already. Have you ruled it out?

The dimensions are very competitive with what you're listing here:
    129 x 65 x 10 mm
    That's smaller than the Nexus 4 and only 2mm taller than the Z3 compact.
    The unlocked developer edition was on sale for $230 earlier this week (gone now) but could still be had for well under $300, and I'm sure the deal will come back. That's a crazy bargain.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Having had the N4 and that Moto X, the X doesn't feel like enough of a jump to justify the price. The battery was noticeably better though.
  • Having had the N4 and that Moto X, the X doesn't feel like enough of a jump to justify the price. The battery was noticeably better though.

Exactly that. There's no point in upgrading unless it's a significant upgrade.

If my current phone died, and I could get another N4 for super cheap (or repair it), I'd do that.

• There we go! Plenty good reason. I am still very high on my second gen Moto X, but have never handled the first one. I assumed it must have come close, but apparently not.
  • Andrew said:

Note 4, it comes with a handy carrying case

I plan on getting the Note 4 soon and I would be lying if I said that goggle wasn't something I'd also buy.
  • Reviews consistently say that the Z3C gets 3-4 days of battery life with minimal use. Two full days of overuse.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/15/sony-xperia-z3-compact-review/
  • That sounds like the awesomest phone to me. 2 days of battery life is amazing and definitely something I want. Because of the way I use my phone I run through the battery pretty quickly. Which is why I still like my Moto X despite not performing better than my N4, the battery life is almost double in all situations. Basically a smartphone isn't so smart if you can't use how you'd like and have the battery last the whole day. I couldn't use my N4 as I liked and have it last the whole day. They Moto X scraps it out 95% of the time.
  • What do you do with your phone that kills the battery like that?

My Nexus 4 lasts all day, and I use it quite a bit.
  • edited November 2014
    A 2 day battery life is inconceivable to me. My Galaxy Nexus has a typical life of 6 hours the way I use it.

Of course, "the way I use it" is mostly streaming Spotify and/or playing Neuroshima Hex.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited November 2014
    My Galaxy Nexus gets a little more (maybe 8 hours) and the most intensive thing I do is play some podcasts.
    Rym said:
    Hmm... Fm radio, huh? I like that.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Rym said:

What do you do with your phone that kills the battery like that?

Speaking of, what was the name of that Flashlight\batterypack\bomb you have? I've been trying to find one, and damned if I can remember the name. A big old brick of USB power would be super useful.

• edited November 2014
    Rym said:

Anker makes the best ones. I don't think they're available in Australia legally.

Thanks dude! As for getting it here, it's alright, I'm pretty sure I can work something out. If all else fails, I'll just have one shipped to a crash-pad I know in the US, and get an old co-worker to bring it back on a return leg - IIRC, the limit for bigger batteries carry-on is 100 Watt hours, so it should be right.

Edit - Had a hunt around, turns out they are available here legally, for about the same price. They're not popular, but they're available.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Rym said:

What do you do with your phone that kills the battery like that?

I phone. Text, talk, IM, read webpages, google maps to places, post to facebook/tweet/whatever-the-kids-call-it-these-days. I also fiddle a lot, cause my ADHD demands I always be playing with something.
  • Just stick with the N4.
  • Lollipop dropped on the Nexus 4. Works fine.

Upgrading phones is for chumps. Going to enable the LTE radio now.
  • I've been playing with lollipop on my nexus 4, it's really very good. I'm excited for it to come out for my Moto X.
  • Rym said:
    This thing was $40 before black Friday and now it's $60. What the deuce?
  • The newer version is $40 and there's a link to it on that page.
  • The Moto X 2nd Gen - Pure Edition is a full $140 off when ordering direct from Motorola this weekend. I should have waited a month!
  • edited November 2014
    64 GB iPhone 5, because, it's made of metal.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on