This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anti-GamerGate Appreciation Thread (Daikun Free Zone)

Comments

• edited December 2014

Holy crap there's a Super Professional web page.

So does the KKK - or at least it did until it was hacked.
    chaosof99 said:

some of the most vocal and prominent figures speaking out for GamerGate are just complete assholes that hitched their wagon to it...

Get a new wagon. You can't save GamerGate's image. Sexism, misogyny, threats of violence, etc. are part and parcel of the group now. If you, and others, really care about journalism ethics, there are many, many existing, legitimate organizations that address that in a much broader and more poignant way.

Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Just finished reading the 'what is gamergate' editorial on that Gamergate.me site. Rather, as much as I could stomach. It's full of misleading statements, outright lying, and citations that contradict the statements they are cited in.
    I literally can't even.
  • Andrew said:
    Fucking christ, do these people even listen to themselves?

Wait a second... Your blacking out of the username there hasn't been done very well. It clearly says "The Leader of Gamergame (You)".

Are you posting on 8chan as The Leader of Gamergate?

• I'm pretty sure everyone on 8chan does. It's just a thing, not a tripcode.
  • edited December 2014
    Oh, ok. I'd seen that post about infiltrating communities, put 2 and 2 together and thought it was by the same person. :p
    Post edited by Totally Guy on
  • chaosof99 said:

Andrew said:
    Listen? They masturbate to themselves at this point.

• At some point, the only thing you can do is chuckle, then close the tab.
  • At some point, the only thing you can do is sigh, then close the tab.

• Clearly, ethical behavior is their main concern.
  • edited December 2014
    That LordKat-IronLiz interview... strawmanning and tone argument at its finest. I appreciate that IronLiz takes the time to highlight that she is not representative of the entire trans/queer/gendered/minority experience, but what is up with the strawmen?

These quotes are from the first 30 minutes of the interview.
    LK: "You bring up the idea that change takes time and can be painful. If you talk to people such as Ben Kuchera or Leigh Alexander, what they are saying is that this change [...] is just painful for people like me. People who don't appreciate having political point-of-views shoved in their faces, who don't appreciate an extremely one-sided conversation, even though I may agree with that side of the conversation. I don't like particularly the disingenuous nature of the conversation. [...] Is this just a painful process for us, or is this bitter people pissing in a bucket?"
    IL: "A great deal of [SJWs] are entering this space that is not their own and saying 'This is how we want it to be'. You saw this again with the Occupy Wall Street movement, you saw it with the science wars, [...] or Atheism Plus, you could say they entered a group or organization, hijacked it for what they wanted to get through, and then left when it ran into the ground. And that's not my opinion, that's just what has happened through history."
    LK: "A lot of these people are shit-stirrers so they can profit on their Patreon accounts."
    IL: "I don't really want to comment on or make broad statements about whether somebody is a professional victim, or they are trying to stir the shit-pot, or whatever. But what I learned in life is that you have to be able to take criticism. [...] You've got to be able to not have the attitude of 'I'm going to take my toys and go home, because everyone's mean and nasty to me.' Because that's being an adult. [...] If your first instinct is to [...] rally your righteous cause and get people angry and militant, that's not constructive to anything."
    LK: "I'm going to play devil's advocate here. [...] Men can't be raped because, in their argument, rape is prejudice plus power."
    IL: "I don't believe in your politics. I don't believe that men, white heterosexual men should have a tax put on them. I don't believe that taking away power [...] or civil liberties from another person is going to make things better for me."
    IL: "I don't think if you introduce censorship or divisiveness that that makes anything better."
    IL: "I think that this is not the way to afford change. [...] I don't think that coming into a space and yelling and throwing your weight around is the way to do that. [...] It's a mistake to think that someone else is an enemy just because they are white, or heterosexual."
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • edited December 2014

That LordKat-IronLiz interview... image

Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Because that's being an adult. [...] If your first instinct is to [...] rally your Righteous Cause and get people angry and militant, that's not constructive to anything
    Irony.
  • Here's the biggest failure in that interview.
    LK: So for you Liz, you personally, what would make gaming better for you?
    IL: I want story back in video games, with the creative stuff you can do in a video game, all it goes down to saving the world from exploding. I would like to see good gameplay again. I would like to see DLC disappear. I would like to see the early access stuff gotten rid of. And I would like it to shift from the need of pure spectacle and just create something that has substance. I want something with good gameplay that doesn't treat me like a walking wallet that wants to squeeze every penny out of me. That's what it is about to me.
    LK: So it's about the games and not everything else surrounding them.
    IL: Exactly. This is about gaming; I don't need this to be a political statement. I just want a good game and not have to pay 600 dollars for it and not have my wrist stamped when I get online because they assume I'm a pirate. That's what it is all about.
  • Also, I'd like to bring attention to another Jimquisition video because it brings up a discussion on an actual current journalism/reviewing topic. Embargoes have been common with all types of commercialized criticism including film and television as well. That's actually something worth thinking about. (But it also boils down to studio/developer/publisher intelligence, not just journalism)

• edited December 2014
    I've ever seen Jim before.
    The opening scene made me hate him. He looks like an arrogant douche-bag with the red background and podium.
    That being said, the embargo issue is utter bullshit and I agree.
    EDIT: Watched a few more. He makes good points. If he's on Escapist, he can't be terrible.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I've ever seen Jim before.
    The opening scene made me hate him. He looks like an arrogant douche-bag with the red background and podium.
    That being said, the embargo issue is utter bullshit and I agree.
    EDIT: Watched a few more. He makes good points. If he's on Escapist, he can't be terrible.

If I remember and know correctly he is no longer at Escapist. Made his own site with support from Patreon. But yea, he has points, although I think he occasionally keeps repeating them, but maybe that's just what happens when one tries to be topical and companies keep making same mistakes.

• Quinn just posted a new, in depth, well researched and cited article about ethics in journalism.
    I expect GG to lose their collective minds any time now.
  • Quinn just posted a new, in depth, well researched and cited article about ethics in journalism.
    I expect GG to lose their collective minds any time now.

A complete layman posting an article about a complex topic that they're not in any way educated or trained in. Consider me interested, but highly dubious about it's quality.
  • GG is furious if you fart near them at this point.
  • Rym said:

GG is furious if you fart near them at this point.

Doubly so if you identify as a woman online.
  • At least, the embargoes aren't an issue. Reviewers either follow them, break them, or wait until they can get an unembargoed copy of the game.

Journalists report on the existence of the embargo.

So, everyone knows what's up. Everyone knows that there's an embargo, and thus can make their decision accordingly. If the embargoes prove problematic for the game companies in light of journalists revealing them and the resultant bad press, they either back down or continue. Consumers then decide whether or not to keep buying their games.

The embargo situation is playing out exactly as it should be playing out.
  • edited December 2014
    So, uh, turns out Gamergate - you know, the movement of "Real gamers" who know gaming, and love gaming - didn't know the difference between Devin Faraci from Badass Digest and Tim Schafer, from Doublefine, Lucasarts, and arguably one of the more famous game devs around.

Naturally, the video was removed when this was widely pointed out and mocked, and it's existence will be denied.

They're also going after Target and Big W in Australia removing GTA 5 (due to a Jack Thompson-esque petition) as a feminazi conspiracy, and they're going after The Guardian as a vastly unethical media conspiracy because they refused to tow the gamergate version of events.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Who would have known - Gamergators aren't even real gamers, lol.
  • I was gonna say, that guy looks a lot like Tim Schafer.
  • Gamergators are the rednecks of gaming.
  • Rym said:

chaosof99 said:

Andrew said:

What other way is there to masterbate?
  • Conan-San said:

Rym said:

chaosof99 said:

Andrew said:

What other way is there to masterbate?
    Most people imagine someone else, or look at a picture of someone else.

I don't know many people who masturbate to pictures of themselves.

• Probably Touga.