This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon ORAS

Surprised I didn't see this already up, but now that Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are out, let's discuss!
I obtained a Latios yesterday over Wondertrade, which is great and all, but I'll still need an Eon Pass to get Latias. All you guys in New York have it easy, you can go to the Nintendo World Store to get that item.
Also, is anyone else having problems getting fire and water pokemon? I've only gotten a handful of water pokemon and I'm gearing up for Flannery with grass and bug types.

Comments

• Remake of worst Pokemon generation. Didn't beat Black. Didn't beat X/Y (don't even remember which one I have).
  • X/Y was okay. I tried playing one of the DS ones and it was much less interesting. Pokemon is Pokemon though.
  • edited December 2014

Also, is anyone else having problems getting fire and water pokemon? I've only gotten a handful of water pokemon and I'm gearing up for Flannery with grass and bug types.

Catch a Spoink on Jagged Pass or a Torkoal on Fiery Path. Spoink has Thick Fat so it essentially resists Fire-type moves, and Torkoal's decent defense should get you through the gym too. If you really want water, there were surskits back near the beginning of your journey. And you could always level up a Magikarp. :)

Plus Geodude is plentiful and ready to help you win everything.

Post edited by loltsundere on
  • Geodude is a bro.
  • Should have picked a Mudkip like us pros, bro!

The gym leaders in this are fucking jokes. I'm through 6 of them and none have been a challenge in the least. Only used one or, at most, two pokemon to beat the entire gym. Father, I am disappoint. However, the gym puzzles are sometimes neat.

I am also enjoying the map. I finally have surf and fly. Much diverse. So explore.
  • I should make a Pokemon hack that is legit hard, like Zelda Outlands hard. Then you adults who complain about Pokemon being too easy will see how real shit can get.
  • Pokemon isn't too easy. I have played games where the gym leaders gave me a legit challenge. Also things like the battle subway/institute/etc are generally challenging, not to mention fighting other actual people.

I just think it's ridiculous that the 6th gym leader takes less effort to defeat than some of the wild pokemon I've encountered so far. I generally expect the first couple to be pushovers, but by the time I start getting to #3 or #4 it should be ramping up.
  • They leveled ORAS down a bit, and they gave us the Exp share ridiculously early. The longer the game, the lower the levels of your opponents. The GS remakes suffered from similar problems. I had to really limit my team's growth to make any of the gyms challenging this time around. Groudon was a bitch to catch, though.

Even though the remake games have a problem with levels being too low, Pokemon's story mode is meant to be easy enough for a very young child to understand and beat. It's the after-game content and the metagame that are truly challenging and strategic. The game is meant to be enjoyed by children and adults, so this is the balance we get. I like in-game mode because then useless outcast pokemon like Spinda can be a part of your team and actually help you get some victories.

I'm on Victory Road right now, and we're basically breezing through, hoping for a tough challenge from the inevitable mega pokemon we'll be facing soon.

Also Mega Swampert made this whole thing worth it.

• So. Much. Plot. @_@

Lots of side stuff to do too. Best part of the game is after you beat the elite 4!

I am the eensiest bit irked that I have to go find the Regis to complete my Hoenn dex. But it's cool. Serebii tells me the ludicrous combination of circumstances I have to make happen to get them.
  • Is it weird that I still play Emerald on my Original DS? Haven't bought any of the DS Pokemon games. What am I missing?
  • Dazzle369 said:

Is it weird that I still play Emerald on my Original DS? Haven't bought any of the DS Pokemon games. What am I missing?

Go play Leaf Green on your DS.

• Pokemon is ruined forever now because I can't name my Torchic "AssBalls" (Asked my roommate for a name with no context and that's what I got)
  • Pokemon is ruined forever now because I can't name my Torchic "AssBalls" (Asked my roommate for a name with no context and that's what I got)

Ballsass is a better name anyway.
  • Apreche said:

Pokemon is ruined forever now because I can't name my Torchic "AssBalls" (Asked my roommate for a name with no context and that's what I got)

Ballsass is a better name anyway.

That should not have worked

You just have to be clever about your spelling.

For instance, the Rayquazza I just caught is named "Riteindabalz."

• The Groudon and Rayquaza forever stationed in my PC are named Prissy and Mr. Kissy. They deserved it.
  • I name almost all my pokemon with the pattern of adjective ending with the letter Y.

Gengar = spooky

Whatever water poke I have = splashy

Snorlax = sleepy

And so on.
  • Okay, I have WAY too many pokemon for that to work. I would have three boxes of "splashy."
  • Nuri said:

Okay, I have WAY too many pokemon for that to work. I would have three boxes of "splashy."

I only use six. The rest should all be named neglectedy.
  • Apreche said:

Nuri said:

Okay, I have WAY too many pokemon for that to work. I would have three boxes of "splashy."

I only use six. The rest should all be named neglectedy.
    Pokemon social services is going to come take neglectedy away from you
  • I used to name them all... Now they go straight to the box and then wonder trade.
  • I never name my pokemons. They don't need the individuality.
  • Sometimes I name them other Pokemon. I named my Torchic Mudkip... Makes for fun in battles.
  • I name all of the ones that are the final results of my strict eugenics program. All of my maxed-stat EV-trained moveset-chosen pokemon have nicknames relevant to their abilities and how they fight.

Meinshao is Weesil.
    Garbodor is Oscar.
    Chandelure is Ishamael.
    Flygon is Poindexter.
    Dragonite is Moreta.
    ...and so on.

Most of the pokemon I catch don't get named because I'll get around to making a better version of them eventually.

Legendaries get nicknamed sometimes... usually if they piss me off while I'm trying to catch them. I can't breed 'em anyway, so there's no way I'm making a better version.
  • I finally have my Black 2 team on OR.

Emboar: JD (Jimmy Dean)
    Braviary: Altair
    Gyarados: Korinn
    Haxorus: Axle Rose
    Gallade: The King
    Gardevoir: Arcade
  • I stick to a theme: this game it's classical musicians, X/Y was authors.
  • I stick to a theme: this game it's classical musicians, X/Y was authors.

X/Y for me was the Mournival from the Horus Heresy series.
  • I tend to name my pokemon alphabetically in the order that I catch them. I think in Pearl/Diamond I did names from my favourite books (so many Harry Potter names at the time).

I haven't picked up this latest game, but I might after Christmas if I see it for less that $50.
  • I have been catching Seedot in my Ruby game and naming them Acorn before tossing them out for WonderTrade.
  • Hey you guys in New York, think you could load up on Eon Tickets from the Nintendo Store to help us unfortunate souls who don't live in New York? I'll be coming to MAGFest so I could definitely just pick one off streetpass.