This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How do you deal with a player who...

So I've got a player in my Pathfinder Group who really tries a bit too hard to control the narrative. I've got another player who plays every time but is completely bored and will not read her character sheet for things.
Everyone says they're enjoying the campaign but I've no idea how to work these kinks out.

Comments

• You're not alone - this same thread exists on every forum in the world at this point. It will probably become several pages of advice that directly contradicts the other advice, because people play RPGs for different reasons. You've probably noticed that, because the people in your group probably like RPGs for different reasons.

Do you hang out and get along well outside of the game, or is this a 'we meet to play and then disperse' thing? How many players?
  • We play after class at community college, but we're going to have to move to Roll20 after finals. I had 2 groups but group 2 dominated all the time and now group 1 doesn't meet anymore.
    Group 2 has 4-5 players. Cleric with a Gun and a Katana, Theif built well, Ifrit Sorcerer who's obsessed with money and power, a ranger, and Half Orc fighter who got a part time job and never is there. The ranger's player has some kind of medical condition that I don't want to guess on, and everyone's really understanding about it except for the Cleric who doesn't like her for some reason.
  • Case 1: Communicate what you want from the game and ask them what they want to get from the game. Compromise or don't.
    Case 2: Communicate what you want from the game and ask them what they want to get from the game. Compromise or don't.