This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Gas Attack on a Furry Convention

19 hospitalized, thousands evacuated in 'intentional' gas leak at Rosemont hotel

That's the hotel ACEN used to be in. Someone appears to have made a chlorine gas weapon and activated it at the convention.

I'm honestly surprised something crazy like this hadn't actually happened before at a US fan convention.

Comments

• It happened overnight, and while initial reports just called it a "chemical spill," the police announced today that they suspect it was intentional.

Interestingly (and amazingly), the city and the hotel allowed the convention to continue today.
  • Yeah, that seems like a bad plan. If the attack is intentional and no outside group has claimed credit, you'd have to assume that a congoer somewhere is at least suspect.
  • I think it's a fine plan.

One, I dislike disrupting things after acts of terror or the like. Can you imagine if this had happened in Boston? The city would probably have banned conventions forever and shut everything down immediately. Never let "terrorists" win.

Two, it was a relatively derpy attack all things considered, likely by an attendee. Investigating now without otherwise disrupting the event may well be fruitful. The kid is probably still there and mad that he didn't cause a serious disruption to the con. Cops can question witnesses who otherwise would just evaporate away if the con stopped.

Three, it'll be pretty fucking hard for him to do anything again: everyone's on guard, and he probably assumed that his attack would have ended the con. I doubt he's smart enough to have had a followthrough plan.
  • Goddammit, you sniped my post on Fails of Your Day.
    As I said over there, whoever did that is going to federal assrape prison at a minimum, getting a one-way, all expense paid, trip to sunny Guantanamo more than likely.
  • I wonder what the motivation was. Other than just, lets fuck some shit up at a furry con.
  • edited December 2014
    Who knows? Maybe it was an attack by the Therians.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Viga said:

I wonder what the motivation was. Other than just, lets fuck some shit up at a furry con.

I would bet good money on a furry with emotional issues and recent furry-community drama.

• Viga said:

I wonder what the motivation was. Other than just, lets fuck some shit up at a furry con.

Likely just trying to disrupt the con. Wasn't any way that people were going to stick around long enough for it to be permanently crippling or lethal. If we want to get tinfoil hat then maybe some impressionable neckbeard had spent a little too much time on 4Chan and got too deep into the woo game of "yeah we should kill all furries!" without understanding how to effectively deploy chemical weapons.

At the very least, if they had thrown the chlorine powder in an air vent it would have taken the police longer to find it.
  • What if it was a diversion so someone could pull off a heist?
  • OK when I first read the title of this thread. I though that someone had taken a can of gasoline into a furry convention and set someone on fire.

Most conventions centers have real security. Not so much for hotels.
  • SWATrous said:

What if it was a diversion so someone could pull off a heist?

Nothing in any dealer's hall is worth that kind of effort. Well... There was a really nice, decked out AE86 at Anime Expo, but that's about it.
  • The comments on news sights (unsurprisingly) sicken me. So many people are just laughing at furries. Kinks and fetishes can be funny, but to take a chemical weapon attack on anyone lightly is disgusting.

Humanity, why are we always doing it wrong?
  • Humanity, why are we always doing it wrong?

We don't really have any example to follow except the ones we've made up. -_-

• What would Atticus Finch do?

Sit outside the hotels main entrance keeping watch all night?

I think shooting a dog would probably make this worse.
  • Who knows? Maybe it was an attack by the Therians.

OMG that inside joke XD

What would Atticus Finch do?

I think shooting a dog would probably make this worse.
    Especially if a Therian was mistakenly killed instead of a dog.

You mean a guy named Atticus who's fursona is a Finch? Not sure.

• Matt said:

Probably just livetweet it.

• Churba said:

Matt said:

*high-five*

• Matt said:

Churba said:

Matt said:

*high-five*

Are you sure that they wouldn't find free wifi to post it on their Tumblr
  • Are you sure that they wouldn't find free wifi to post it on their Tumblr

• My emotion chip doesn't always work right. ;)
  • The last line of this summary had me in hysterics:

Chlorine gas sickened several people and forced the evacuation of thousands of guests from a suburban Chicago hotel early Sunday, including many dressed in cartoonish animal costumes for an annual furries convention who were ushered across the street to a convention center hosting a dog show.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/chlorine-gas-sickens-19-at-furries-convention-1.2863783?cmp=rss
  • Some furry jokes are fine, but others.....

A facebook friend, who I've generally had high regard for, linked this story in their feed with the comment "I...don't see a problem here."

I was speechless, and I'm finding it really hard to reconcile that with all my other interactions with them.
  • Everyone is a jerk sometimes.... That's a good explanation. I know I have said some pretty jerky/nonempathic comments in my day. I'm pretty sure if I was 10 years younger I'd be making jokes about Furries more. Obviously not approving of the action but still making jokes.
  • Yeah, this is part of why I wish facebook had a "delete everything from before college" button. Cue a million comments from people who had a 10 year gap between college and facebook
  • I have definitely posted a significant number of things on the internet that I would be very embarrassed about if they were brought up today.
  • I only recently encountered this: