This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Lawn Mowers and Edgers/Trimmers

We got sick of having to pay someone to mow our grass every month--they either did a half-assed job or came up with excuses for not coming to work--so we're saving some cash and doing it on our own.

One of my folks (I'm not sure which) purchased this model, and I think it might have been an impulse purchase, because we're having problems with it: namely, the head is a piece of crap. The factory spool was poorly wound (a couple of the reviews mentioned it after I looked it up, so I'm not alone), so I thought I'd head to Home Depot to find a replacement. The problem is that they don't carry much Sun Joe inventory--they expect us to buy replacement parts online--so I thought I'd try a different brand. I found one that looks like it could be a good fit, but the problem is that the label states that it "doesn't work with electric trimmers."

Is there any reason why it would only work on a gas trimmer? It's a piece of plastic and you wrap string around it. The only power source should be your hands, right? Should I just buy the Sun Joe-brand replacement online, or can I use any head that fits?

Comments

• I suspect gas trimmers may put out a fair bit more torque than electric ones, so their spool may not spool out well at low speeds.
    Or they're bullshitting.
  • What the hell kind of grass?

In all my life having a yard, we used a lawnmower for the mowing. Something like what you describe was only used to take care of the little tufts of grass that couldn't easily be mowed due to their proximity to buildings or tree trunks.

1. Lawnmower
    2. Weed Whacker (that thing)
    3. Edger (For the sidewalk).

I can't imagine using #2 for anything more than a trivial amount of grass.
  • I mowed my lawn up until this year, when I realized my free time was worth more then the amount I'd have to pay someone to mow my lawn. It shouldn't be hard to find a lawn service that does the job right, I mean there are so many out there..
  • They're not bullshitting, and you're half-right - one of the reasons is that it probably won't let out line, because the electric trimmer doesn't have the power. Presuming it's not an automatic head, rather than a bump feed.

But no, it propably won't fit. They're built rather differently, and the way they're attached is likely different to boot. But, you can get the sunjoe stringless bit, that might help.
    Daikun said:

The only power source should be your hands, right?

I suppose, but they tend to work a lot better if you plug them in.

Also, why electric? I remain convinced that electric trimmers are a conspiracy by the lawn-care industry into fooling homeowners into thinking that doing their own lawn is hard.
  • The only lawnmower you should own.

• Churba said:

Also, why electric? I remain convinced that electric trimmers are a conspiracy by the lawn-care industry into fooling homeowners into thinking that doing their own lawn is hard.

Don't wanna deal with gas.
  • Gas weed-whackers are just better.

Also, you have a lawnmower too, right?
  • Daikun said:

Churba said:

Don't wanna deal with gas.
    Even disregarding the power difference, with electric ones you either need a very long extension cord or lots of annoying battery charging. Gas is just better.
  • Plus, less maintinence, and they last SO MUCH LONGER. Seriously, I know people who still have the line-trimmers they bought 20+ years ago, and they still work perfectly.
  • At my family's place, Dad got sick of it enough to tastefully brick pave or gravel wherever lawn would have been.
  • Just get a reel mower.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Just get a reel mower.

• Apreche said:

Even disregarding the power difference, with electric ones you either need a very long extension cord or lots of annoying battery charging. Gas is just better.

Those things are only supposed to be used occasionally for a few tiny areas of the yard: not general mowing ;^)

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

Those things are only supposed to be used occasionally for a few tiny areas of the yard: not general mowing ;^)

That is also true.
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

My dad has an electric lawn mower for there very large lawn. He just uses extension cords. He used to have a reel mower, but it was too much lawn to efficiently mow with the reel mower.
  • We've always just used a tractor (and a weed eater for the fiddley bits).
  • Ruffas said:

We've always just used a tractor (and a weed eater for the fiddley bits).

Tractor tractor, or little lawn "tractor"?

(Side note - I have a barbecue made from plate taken off of a tractor disc-plow)
  • Churba said:

Ruffas said:

(Side note - I have a barbecue made from plate taken off of a tractor disc-plow)
    Can you share a photo of this beauty?
  • sK0pe said:

Churba said:

Ruffas said:

Can you share a photo of this beauty?
    Tractor tractor. We've got acres of yard so anything smaller would just take ages. We also use it to fix our dirt driveway after rain, drag heavy things to the burn pile, etc. We even get to buy cheap farm gas for it because we have enough land to technically be a farm.

I'll get a picture of it and its bits when I go home tomorrow.
  • I think he meant the barbecue, but I'd dig a picture of your tractor.
  • You never know, he might be big into mowing. But it does sound like a cool piece of cooking equipment.
  • Churba said:

I think he meant the barbecue, but I'd dig a picture of your tractor.

I'll take photos of both, I've worked on a number of different farms but in Australia we lag behind in doing stuff big. The most amazing automated, humane dairies for example are in Europe. You guys probably have a super size version of the tractors that I've seen and driven in.

That barbecue though!

• My dad has an electric lawn mower for there very large lawn. He just uses extension cords. He used to have a reel mower, but it was too much lawn to efficiently mow with the reel mower.

I had an electric lawnmower and weedwhacker when we lived in Detroit. Both had huge long extension cords, but worked just fine.

My problem is that in this thread, there is a real implication that a weed whacker is being used AS a lawn mower. ;^)

• Using a weed whacker as your primary lawn mowing device is a fucking frightening prospect.

I also said "fuck it" to taking care of my own lawn around 2 years ago. I am just generally anti-yard, and managed to avoid having one for many years, but that is no longer the case. During my stint of self-landscaping, I did discover that cordless electric accessories have come a LONG way. As long as you stick with one system, the batteries are not a hassle, and get very good life. They're getting better every year, too, so this advice should only become more firm as time goes on. We bought a Black & Decker weed whacker, blower, and hedge trimmer. The batteries are all compatible with each other, so I never had an issue.

I just don't get the whole yard thing. People in my neighborhood pay out the ass (or spend ludicrous time) to grow god damn golf courses in front of their houses. Maybe if that is your hobby and you truly enjoy gardening and landscaping? I hope they're taking a piece of that turf to the fucking county fair for a blue ribbon. I pay a guy to keep my grounds in "good enough" condition. I want it clean and neat, not they eyesore property on the block, but I can't justify any extra effort or dollars to tackle any rough patches. I spread a token bag of seed around last spring, but you won't find me watering it. Better pray for rain.
  • My first summer at my house I went with a reel mower. It works well on most grass but above a certain height the grass just falls over and does not cut. I also have a manual weed whacker (pole with a blade on the end, not a sythe more like a number seven) that I use and an electric weed whacker for when there is not enough room to swing the manual one.

Second year I bought a gas mower from Home Depot for $150. Lawn is small and I might have used 1 gallon of gas. I looked at an electric mower but the good ones cost too much compared to a gas one.

My yard takes me about 30 minutes once a week to maintain.
  • edited January 2015
    Update to my OP: After waiting a few weeks to get my new spool delivered (they also gave me the wrong product the first time, which I thankfully got a refund for, so...free spool! Yay!), I installed it and the trimmer fucking broke.

I'm sick of dealing with this shit, so I traded in my Sun Joe for a Black & Decker LST400, and it's superior in every way.

-Battery powered (no more need for an extension cord). Lasts a healthy 60 minutes, which I don't even need for that long.
    -Less parts, easier to assemble.
    -Adjustable height for taller people.
    -Speed control.
    -Two modes: trimming and mowing.
    -A wheel so I can get the edge just right on the ground.
    -The spool feeds itself automatically. (It also comes with a full line already installed!)
    -More spools for my dollar value (3 for $20 compared to 1 for $10) and it's available at the store. No more online orders!

After the first test run of this baby, I took care of both my front and back yards in 15-20 minutes. Sun Joe and their shitty hardware can go fuck themselves.
    Post edited by Daikun on