This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Graphic Novel have you read/finished/recommended?

I noticed there aren't any easily found threads dedicated to comics in their graphic novel format, and I felt that it would feel odd putting it in the book thread, so I have made a new thread.

I just finished Locke and Key by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez. It is a six volume run and is about a family who moves to the east coast after a family tragedy. The children in the series (who the books are mainly focused on) find various magical keys in their Father's old home. The keys have different powers and effects. As with all stories, there must be conflict, and Lock and Key has a great villain. I enjoyed the series very much and the combination of Joe Hill's storytelling and Gabriel Rodriguez's art flow together so well. There is even a chapter (I think in Vol. 4 or 5) illustrated by Bill Watterson. Joe Hill is the son of Steven King, and I would definitely be interested in reading more of his work. Apparently there was a planned TV show, but none of the networks picked it up.

Other favorite graphic novels of mine:
Saga - Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples
Y: The Last Man - Brian K. Vaughn and Pia Guerra
Pride of Baghdad - Brian K. Vaughn and Niko Henrichon (one and done novel)
Battle Pope - Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore
Powers (looking forward to the FX TV show) - Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming
The Unwritten - Mike Carey and Peter Gross
Pretty much anything Batman

I have also started reading 100 bullets and am about half way done with the second novel. I like it so far and will be reading more of it.

Comments

• I am a huge fan of the work the good people at Archaia and First Second do.

My most recent gn's were In Real Life by Jen Wang and Corey Doctorow about economics and online gaming and Orphan Blade by Jake Myler.
  • The third volume of the recent Hawkeye comic came out and it is still top notch. I never thought I'd read a Marvel/DC superhero comic again, but never say never I suppose.
  • Try Cerebus, especially the early works. Try Eightball, Acme Novelty Warehouse, and "Indy Hearts" by Jubal Faircloth
  • I recently finished The Sword by the Luna Brothers, which was good, and wrapped up in 4 books. I also read the first 3 volumes of Rust, and I am looking forward to the fourth volume.

I am currently reading the comic adaptation of Game of Thrones (or more specifically, A Song of Ice and Fire), which is really good so far.
  • I finished all of my "to be read" stack, ending with the first 4 volumes of Saga which as everyone has already mentioned is insanely good.

As a result I went to Amazon looking for the Frank Miller Daredevil omnibus which seems to be semi out of print but sort of ok at $100 yet the omnibus companion which hasn't been reprinted is being sold like a collectible for $1000. (I could have bought both for $120 last year and made some profit). Out of curiosity I checked some of my books and yes some are being sold between $300 - 600 which seems silly for something that is a collection / reprint of original work. Lazy publishing I guess?

I'm also wondering whether I should switch to the Saga hardbacks like @Rochelle was considering when they first came out. I'll have to check if they are string bound or glue bound (string > glue) hard backs.
  • edited May 2015
    Hardback. Can't go wrong with all the cool stuff in that book. I bought It on FCB. I have yet to look in it.

However, I've also purchased all the digital issues and paper trades to let friends borrow. I need to keep up with that series.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Just finished by Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley.

Seconds reinforced everything I disliked about Scott Pilgrim (Which I loved it, until the 6th Volume where I thought it fell apart). It meanders too much on a very simplistic message with these faintly spiritual ideas. Far too much exposition for everything that's going on, especially the way it explains over and over how our main character Katie is feeling. Her desire to change and open a new restaurant didn't feel very justified. I could understand Scott's wayward nature as he starts as an unemployed lazy slacker. Katie is a 29-year-old owner/executive chef of a restaurant who has the funds to open up a second one. (Not cheap) Her fear of age despite having so much going for her is insufferable. The buildup of her problems from her resets were interesting the further she fell into denial, but the ending falls into the cliches of this type of story. This did not feel earned. Is O'Malley still going to write stories about 20-somethings who need to grow up? Because it's become pedantic.

And yes, even though people like this sometimes exist...they are still annoying to be around and suffer through a person making those really selfish mistakes.
  • Rochelle said:

Hardback. Can't go wrong with all the cool stuff in that book. I bought It on FCB. I have yet to look in it.

However, I've also purchased all the digital issues and paper trades to let friends borrow. I need to keep up with that series.

Looking at it, it's string bound. The hardback has extras to include BKV's process of how Saga came to be, scripts, and sketches.

I do enjoy his letters and responses at the end of the issues that are in the issues only.

• Speaking of graphic novels I finally got a copy of Second Quest. It only took way longer than they said it would.
  • MATATAT said:

Speaking of graphic novels I finally got a copy of Second Quest. It only took way longer than they said it would.

Indeed. I did enjoy the preview comic they sent so long ago. I'll eventually read it.
  • Rochelle said:

Rochelle said:

Looking at it, it's string bound. The hardback has extras to include BKV's process of how Saga came to be, scripts, and sketches.

I do enjoy his letters and responses at the end of the issues that are in the issues only.

The package, oversized art and extras that I have in my other Vaughn books is what's missing (I have Ex Machina, Y The Last Man and some of his one off graphic novels in oversized hardbacks. I honestly think Saga is much better than his other series.

Thanks for the info on it being string bound, I'm in the process of buying it now.