This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sony is making another Walkman.

edited December 2008 in Technology
Sony's touch Walkman.

The only reason why this is interesting is because it can support podcasts.

Comments

• Damn, I was hoping for a touch screen CD player.
  • If only it was also a phone.
  • They're aiming for the high-cost-low-volume audiophile market, so they'll probably sell a fucking shedload of them.
  • 1,100 dollars for an mp3 player? Am I missing the point of this? Why would I want to spend that kind of money to carry around another device instead of just using the smartphone I already own?
  • You underestimate the insanity of the market segment they're aiming for.
  • edited January 2015
    Seriously. I have had long... I can't even call them a debate because that would imply the other person was even making a reasonable argument... discussions (let's call it) with a classmate once about why all audio NEEDS to be lossless and that anything else is unlistenable. That is bonkers. He also insists on tube amps for all home audio (THAT MAKES THE LOSSLESSNESS WORTHLESS AUGH) and he simply CAN'T understand why FNPL is 80kbps mono. CLEARLY ALL AUDIO NEEDS TO BE STEREO AT MINIMUM.

These people. Ugh... just ugh...

I wouldn't buy that walkman. I wouldn't buy any lossless portable player. You know why? Because the world is noisy and if I'm walking about I need to hear what's going on around me. Listen to lossless at home? Gladly. but I have no need for a portable.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Listen to lossless at home? Gladly. but I have no need for a portable.

Also I'm gonna buy a $2200 HDMI cable and replace my headphone cable with a $300 one.
  • If they want to use the Walkman brand shouldn't it be an mp3 player with no native storage instead offering an SD/USB slot for users to pop in their own media?
  • Speaking of stupid products there's this

L.Y.N.X. 9 from Madcatz for $299.99

When this exists Samsung Smartphone GamePad for £59
  • edited January 2015
    HMTKSteve said:

If they want to use the Walkman brand shouldn't it be an mp3 player with no native storage instead offering an SD/USB Memory Stick Pro slot for users to pop in their own media?

Post edited by sK0pe on
  • I wouldn't buy that walkman. I wouldn't buy any lossless portable player. You know why? Because the world is noisy and if I'm walking about I need to hear what's going on around me. Listen to lossless at home? Gladly. but I have no need for a portable.

Exactly. I actually am in the market for a walkman separate from my phone (I've been cornered into a phone that only has 16gb storage, with 5gb taken up by the OS and no slot for an SD card or anything), but I don't want lossless audio while I'm out and about. My earbuds aren't high quality enough for any difference to be audible anyway.
  • You could get a phone that takes SD cards.
  • It's cheaper to get a separate MP3 player.
  • edited January 2015
    Greg said:

It's cheaper to get a separate MP3 player.

Really? A Moto G is sub $200.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • A 30gb stand alone mp3 player is $75 on Amazon.
  • It's so strange to me, I don't even have music on my phone anymore. Just Pandora.
  • I only keep podcasts on my phone, but I do still have an ipod classic, just because it's kinda handy to have a 180 gig brick of music with your entire collection and all your playlists on there.
  • edited January 2015
    Rym said:

You could get a phone that takes SD cards.

I keep forgetting that phones without SD Card slots are a thing. It makes no sense.

It's so strange to me, I don't even have music on my phone anymore. Just Pandora.

Not even Google Music?

Honestly, I've been kinda considering getting a dedicated music player that's big enough to hold ALL of my songs, not just a subset. Maybe an old Zune. I loved those things. Either that or getting a 128GB micro SD card and putting that in my phone. Though, I'm not sure if the Galaxy Note 4 can do 128GB.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I just recently migrated almost all of my music to Amazon's cloud player, so I've been using that for most of my music needs on my phone. That and podcasts/Audible.
  • Standalone mp3 players are obsolete. If you're smart phone isn't good enough, what the hell are you doing with your music??

If it's a matter of battery life, get an external battery.

Out of memory, cloud/ streaming/ sd card

Not enough audio quality, stop lying to yourself.

Am I right or am I right?
  • Rym said:

You could get a phone that takes SD cards.

I keep forgetting that phones without SD Card slots are a thing. It makes no sense.

It's so strange to me, I don't even have music on my phone anymore. Just Pandora.

Not even Google Music?
    Yeah, my phone has no SD slot. I keep meaning to upload things to Google Music, but never get around to it. Though I have FIOS now so it should be way faster.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Out of memory, cloud/ streaming/ sd card

Can't have an SD card, and nobody gives you 30gbs of cloud storage without having to cough up money I don't have.
  • Audio quality is a very real issue with streaming, and most phones have 16-32 gb built in, and only have one sd slot. That's less than 100gb unless you get a 128gb microsd card, which is rather expensive.
  • On my PC I have 48GB of music. That's more music than any human can consume while mobile. I could fit every single song onto my phone right now. Do I need to, no. Do I want to, no.

Who got time fo all dat. I put what music I want on my phone when I want it. If I'm craving a song I don't have, I stream or download the track.

So the amount of storage space on my phone for music is very small. I can't imagine needing more than 5GB for music on the go.
  • You clearly are not into music like I am. I need 15gb just for the basics.
  • Since we're measuring our music dicks, 118GB.
  • I have an iPod Nano which I fill up with audiobooks and music for when I travel. When I don't want to carry my iphone with me it's perfect. Also I like to keep my iPhone storage as empty as possible in case I need to record video or audio, so while I have audiobooks and podcasts on there, I don't put much music on at all.
  • edited January 2015
    Get a SanDisk Clip + or Clip Zip and micro SD card if you need a separate mp3 player. I love my Zune but 64 gb cards are cheap now and you can go higher if you need to.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • But dat HD radio...