This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Song of the Sea

Tonight on GeekNights, we review Tomm Moore's fantastic Song of the Sea. It's far and away better than The Secret of Kells, itself an excellent film. Before that, Rym has re-discovered the at-one-time-well-known 90s shows The Critic and Duckman, which are both... interesting... from a modern perspective (and available on Youtube). Ghost in the Shell joins the long line of failed attempts to adapt anime into live action in the US, complete with the whitewashing, and one of the last major comic cons that's actually about mainstream comics - Emerald City Comic Con - moves under Reedpop's control.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Yes! Song of the Sea. So good. Curious to hear what you have to say about Duckman and Critic, given how into those shows I was back in the day.
  • edited January 2015
    I hate to say it since I've not listened yet, but if y'all are treating the ScarJo casting as anything but a rumor, since it's not confirmed, then I'm genuinely disappointed in you. It's even sketchier rumor that she was cast as the Major specifically. I don't recall you lads being the sort to go in for Hollywood gossip rag rumors.

Edit - Also laughed at the IMDB trivia page, since the same guy who originally published the rumor about Scarjo being the major previously published that it was a Sure thing Margot Robbie had the role. The whole "She was considered" thing is an about face from when she was cast in Suicide Squad.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I think in the show I gave this live action adaptation a 5-6% chance of happening at all.
  • Speaking of Song of the Sea, it just got an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature. The DVD release was also announced for mid-March earlier this week.
  • Kells was also nominated when it came out.
  • Rym said:

Kells was also nominated when it came out.

Lots of people whining that the LEGO movie didn't get picked. I've only seen LEGO movie, Kaguya, and Song of the Sea. LEGO movie is nowhere close to being on the same level. Don't know anything about the other three (Big Hero 6, Boxtrolls, How to Dragon 2).
  • Boxtrolls was really good.
  • I loved Big Hero 6 way more than the LEGO movie but I really like robot shows and movies.
    I have yet to see Song of the Sea though.
    I'm not a fan of the How to Train Your Dragon movies.
  • Rym said:

Boxtrolls was really good.

Well, it was directed by ya boy @grickle Graham Annable, so that's to be expected.
  • Multiple people told me Big Hero 6 was actually awful. Super bland, uninspired, predictable, aimed at a young audience. Are they wrong?
  • Rym said:

Multiple people told me Big Hero 6 was actually awful. Super bland, uninspired, predictable, aimed at a young audience. Are they wrong?

I don't know. The only person I know who has said anything about it is my sister who liked it enough to buy merch.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

Multiple people told me Big Hero 6 was actually awful. Super bland, uninspired, predictable, aimed at a young audience. Are they wrong?

I don't know. The only person I know who has said anything about it is my sister who liked it enough to buy merch.
    Yeah. I'm seeing a big divide between the anecdotal reviews I've heard. I know people who loved it, and I know people who said it was boring and toddler-oriented. I suppose I need to just see it and see for myself...

• edited January 2015
    But does Song of the Sea hold up after you know the ending?
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Cremlian said:

But does Song of the Sea hold up after you know the ending?

It's a children's movie. Any intelligent adult can predict everything that is going to happen within the first few minutes. Considering that Secret of Kells held up to multiple viewings, and this is better, I'm sure I will be watching it at least two more times in my life.

• Having watched 'This Land is Mine', I can't stop humming the tune now. Finally, something that's managed to push Origa - Inner Universe out of my head.
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

Rym said:

Yeah. I'm seeing a big divide between the anecdotal reviews I've heard. I know people who loved it, and I know people who said it was boring and toddler-oriented. I suppose I need to just see it and see for myself...

If you like the robot character in the first few minutes, the movie wins you over otherwise the viewer becomes uninterested as the kid characters can't carry the story.
  • Our animation studio rented an entire theatre for one afternoon and we watched the film among co-workers, friends, and families. Support your independent studios and find a way to watch this film!
  • edited January 2015
    The Lego Movie is far superior to Boxtrolls. I give credit to the Academy picking foreign movies like Kaguya (Although is it 2013) and Song of the Sea, but The Lego Movie not getting included is egregious. It's one of my favorites of the year and incredibly layered and clever for all audience.

Big Hero 6 is good, but succeeds mostly from Baymax. It's a bit cliched at the start but better as it goes along, yet I feel it's beginning for a TV Show. HTTYD2 should win as well. Won the Golden Globe and it's a perfect sequel to the first one. So emotional, so incredible. This is the same situation as 2012, where I would have be happy if everything won except for Boxtrolls. In 2012, Brave won the award, but everything else was much better than Brave.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Why do so many people like LEGO movie so much? It's super generic standard movie. The very definition of a 5/10.
  • Lego Movie was so boring! I struggle to remember what the good parts were.
  • Nukerjsr said:

The Lego Movie is far superior to Boxtrolls.

I can't express how strongly I feel that this is wrong.

• Saw Song of the Sea at Leeds Film Festival back in November and it ended up as my number one film of the festival. (not including the retrospectives like M or J'accuse). It was shown as the family showing so the it was packed full of kids, once it started there was hardly a peep out of them. Always a good sign of a family film.
  • edited January 2015
    Fuck, I miss Leeds Film Festival.

I saw a movie there one year, it was a Spanish comedy about a bunch of young people - late teens, early 20s - and one of them accidentally kills someone, and everyone finds out about it. So they all form a pact, they all get to kill one person that's wronged them, and everyone will help cover it up. I just wish I could remember the name, it was really good.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited January 2015
    I enjoyed the Lego Movie but it was not a great movie. It succeeded the same way the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie and the First Thor movie succeeded. It took something that should not have worked and made it an enjoyable watchable film. It's not a great film but it's impressive that it was pulled off well.

I don't think that should get it an award, though maybe for best FX or something.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Most of the things that have been said about Big Hero 6 have been on the money so far. It would great as the beginnings of a TV series, just like How to Train Your Dragon was.

Where it really stands out is as a Disney movie. It sends a lot of good messages to the kiddies it's intended for. All of the main characters are super science geniuses. There are non-white characters in the movie, and they're more than just set dressing. The main female characters are fairly varied and they're not just damsels to be rescued. And while it was super predictable, that did not affect my enjoyment of it, and it didn't stop most of the theater full of adults from crying.
  • Apreche said:

Why do so many people like LEGO movie so much? It's super generic standard movie. The very definition of a 5/10.

It's a brilliant parody of Hollywood's "The One" stories with incredibly memorable characters and gorgeous CGI that encapsulates the look of Lego stop-motion. It's witty, touching, and even poignant; covering themes of Extremism, Conformity, Corporate Influence, Maturity, and Political Compromise. Funny and colorful enough for kids and clever and well-crafted enough for adults.

Directors Lord and Miller are fantastic at making fun of Hollywood but able to take ideas that shouldn't work at all like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs or the Jump Street Reboot and making them super fun. The Lego Movie goes further in that it has so much depth by having the great adventure exploring the world of Legos and the characters and how it comes through at the end in a genuine heartwarming matter.

Boxtrolls may be fun, but it's nowhere near The Lego Movie's prowess. I assure you with The Boxtrolls getting the nomination, everyone's going to stare daggers at it because even if you like it more than The Lego Movie, it's nowhere near any of the other either.
  • LEGO movie was very obvious in it's attempt to be contrary and didn't do anything other than the superficial. Formulaic, no depth. Meme-wanabe.

Wouldn't say well crafted. Well animated perhaps. Would give it a 4/10.

There's an entire stream of films with high production value and very little substance, in recent years. If you think Lego movie is deep and meaningful, you probably just have a very good imagination.

In a world of wanting to trend, Hollywood especially is trying to cram every seemingly modern idea and politically correct statement into film, leaving all nuance behind.

Trailers are the most telling. Trailers are now constructed with all the 'best' parts of the film. Literally, you don't need to watch these films to get it.

I'd give Avatar 5/10 because how else would you know what Unobtainium was without having seen the film.
  • Dazzle369 said:

I'd give Avatar 5/10 because how else would you know what Unobtainium was without having seen the film.

Wikipedia, also the term has been around since the 1950s, Avatar was super hyped and super shit.
    Nukerjsr said:

It's a brilliant parody of Hollywood's "The One" stories with incredibly memorable characters and gorgeous CGI that encapsulates the look of Lego stop-motion.

Hero's Journey stories are not Hollywood only, they have been present since story telling itself. More than likely present before any religious myth was written. The stop-motion was a gag.
    Nukerjsr said:

It's witty, touching, and even poignant; covering themes of Extremism, Conformity, Corporate Influence, Maturity, and Political Compromise. Funny and colorful enough for kids and clever and well-crafted enough for adults.

It wasn't witty for me at all, I could identify what the writers wanted to be funny to a fault. "Hey look laugh here audience we're pointing to it so hard, please laugh at this." Come on guys we made a clever joke about political systems right there, better laugh. Not sure about a kids perspective but I think I would have thought it was stupid if I was 5 or 6 years old. The movie was not well crafted enough for adults. An example of what you are describing are the Toy Story films.
    Nukerjsr said:

Directors Lord and Miller are fantastic at making fun of Hollywood but able to take ideas that shouldn't work at all like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs or the Jump Street Reboot and making them super fun. The Lego Movie goes further in that it has so much depth by having the great adventure exploring the world of Legos and the characters and how it comes through at the end in a genuine heartwarming matter.

My personal tastes did not jive with most on the reboot of Jump Street I was not a fan. I didn't even realise the directors did the 3 films you've listed. I did not enjoy any of them. This movie dragged harder than Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Extended Cut for me. Here was no heartwarming, just relief that it was over so I could delete it.

I am fully aware that this is my own personal experience and opinion. They hype for this movie was undeserved.
  • sK0pe I agree with you so hard!
  • I liked LEGO movie in three regards: its level of dedication to a concept, my personal alignment with Lord's sense of humor (Clone High holds a special place for me), and the ending twist that I felt had some good lessons and feels.

I don't know if it necessarily got snubbed. I have no experience with the How to Train Your Dragon movies, but they seem horrible. Maybe it should have been included over that, but I can't say.