This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Can I read Phoenix out of order?

edited November 2007 in Manga/Comics
That is the question.

My dilemma is that I recently ordered the first volume of Phoenix, and it arrived today - but it was the sixth volume. Must've made a mistake. Perhaps I shouldn'tve ordered it from Borders.

I could go show up there with the receipt and be like "hey, this isn't the right one," but first I want to find out if reading it out of order will mess things up. I mean, from what I have heard Phoenix is sort of like that Japanese SNES RPG Live-A-Live in that it's made up of different stories in different time periods that aren't tied together, so I would assume that it's fine to read it out of order. But...yeah. I'll ask for other opinions first.

Comments

• That is the question.

My dilemma is that I recently ordered the first volume of Phoenix, and it arrived today - but it was the sixth volume. Must've made a mistake. Perhaps I shouldn'tve ordered it from Borders.

I could go show up there with the receipt and be like "hey, this isn't the right one," but first I want to find out if reading it out of order will mess things up. I mean, from what I have heard Phoenix is sort of like that Japanese SNES RPG Live-A-Live in that it's made up of different stories in different time periods that aren't tied together, so I would assume that it's fine to read it out of order. But...yeah. I'll ask for other opinions first.
    You can. Each story is separate. Of course, some of the stories span multiple volumes. For example, volume 7 is Civil War part 1 and volume 8 is Civil War part 2. So you wan to read those together in order.

Basically, each story is its own entity. Reading a later story won't spoil an earlier story. Also, you will be able to fully understand any of the stories on their own. The only thing you will miss reading them out of order is the experience of going back and forth in time approaching the present day that Tezuka was striving for.
  • I just picked up the Phoenix DVD today at best buy for 14 dollars for 5 eps! W00t!
  • Ah, okay. I'll eventually get the rest of the series, but I guess I don't really have anything to worry about. Thank you.
  • Volume 6 is the one about pseudo-incest, which is still a really good story. But it is not the first one I would have recommend anyone to start with.
  • The second one is so wonderful. Don't miss it!