This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - King's Forge

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the mediocre King's Forge, serving alongside Ground Floor as an example of why Kickstarter tabletop games are more often than not best avoided. In the news, Club Nintendo is dead and more old Star Wars games have come to GOG, including the last of the great Star Wars freespace shooters: X-Wing Alliance.

Don't forget to come see us live at PAX South 2015 with Bad Games on Sunday! Also, be sure to check out Rym's new Advance Wars streaming series.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Jesus that Tetris video is stressful to watch.
  • King's Forge sounds like a good 15 minute game that takes 60 minutes.
  • Club Nintendo is dead
    Da fuq? T_T

Oh well. As long as I redeem my 1k points on something decent, it will be all worth it. The surveys sucked.
  • I too have been slowly catching up with all the agdq action and found this:

This is the winner of the most comedic speedrun.
  • I miss the days when the date was included in the forum thread titles for podcast announcements.
  • I miss the days when the date was included in the forum thread titles for podcast announcements.

Someone (Scott) should fix that.

We also don't have a link to the forum from the episode page on the site...

• Rym said:

I miss the days when the date was included in the forum thread titles for podcast announcements.

I've fixed that like a zillion times. Pay me enough to quit my job and I can work on the FRC web site instead.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

I miss the days when the date was included in the forum thread titles for podcast announcements.

I've fixed that like a zillion times. Pay me enough to quit my job and I can work on the FRC web site instead.
    if you fixed it a zillion times, why does it keep breaking?

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

Rym said:

if you fixed it a zillion times, why does it keep breaking?

If I knew, it would have stayed fixed.
  • edited January 2015
    pence said:

King's Forge sounds like a good 15 minute game that takes 60 minutes.

This is not inaccurate.

I'm noticing that Game Salute has a tendency to make games that sound interesting on paper, but are just lacking enough depth to keep them from being good games.

King's Forge does involve maybe a couple of interesting decisions here and there, but you are mostly slave to the dice and the order in which actions come up.

Their rulebooks are also a tiny bit more spartan than is advisable. They only tell you things once (which is generally good), but they don't give you any other way to parse the information aside from text. A very well-done ruleset will often include more than one method of conveying the same information - text and pictures, for example, or text and a flowchart, or text and a summary.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • My favorite TED talk parody:
  • On an interesting note, Nick Sibicky is an avid Go player and runs the beginner's lectures at the Seattle Go Center. He's got a youtube channel where he posts those lectures! Just in case anyone wants to get into the Go a bit more.

I can't speak to the game though, when I read about Kings Forge I got turned off by the amount of randomness in it.
  • @jmerm‌ I think my favorite out of the series would have to be "What is the Biggest Rock?"

The list for public amusement: