This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hilarious Moments in Gaming

What were some of the most absurd, funny, or face-palm inducing gaming experiences you ever had?

I'll begin: One time, I was playing Titan and I rolled a total of 48 dice against my brother's weaker unit and I scored only two hits, despite hitting on 6s (I should have at least killed that footslogger which had only 4 hit-points!). Eventually, my brother killed my stronger unit even though it had engaged his unit at full health.

Another time, I was playing a demo game of Warhammer Fantasy against a GW employee and all I had to roll was anything but a 1 to slay his troll and win the game. Unfortunately, I rolled a 1 and I lost the next turn. That happened when I was 10, but I still remember it clear as day.

Comments

• Gamergate until I realized they were serious.
  • I once played a geme of Settlers of Catan with my youngest brother and some randoms we met at a convention. I was the most experienced player. I picked the spots with the most likely to pay out the most stuff and it was working. By the midgame I had 3 cites, largest army and a VP card.

And then the other players built roads and settlements around me! I was blocked off with no chance of another settlement and no chance of longest road.

I was buying cards every turn looking for one more victory point. Other players bought a few cards but I put everything in every turn to buy as many cards as I could. I made 4 for 1 trades to maximise my card buying ability for the "right now"!

Between us we went through the entire deck and I still didn't get another point!

At this point I realised I couldn't win because there were no more opportunities to get my tenth VP.

So I started trading favourably with my little brother to give him the win. :p
  • Hearthstone is a nonstop Cavalcade of hilarious, random, sometimes rage-inducing moments.

• Most of my hilarious moments in gaming involve this one game of Black Crusade I played with some friends. We had

1) Trantor, the kitty-loving Nurgle Space Marine that got us banned from the main spaceport in an area by trying to pet a doggy, killing the doggy with his massive Speece Mahreen strength, accidentally killing the owner who saw him, then dragging both corpses through the entirety of the space station, bringing the Inquisition (Space NepoliHitler SS) near our horribly desecrated heretical ship, after which our Techpriest attempted to get us out of trouble by suggesting we "bend the rules a bit", which went over as well as expected.

2) Said tech priest fucking up a 99% chance to successfully make a booby trap twice, causing a ship's warp core to explode, blowing up half a planet and most of a Rogue Trader's fleet.

3) Me switching the off switch on every gun and techpriest within a few hundred meters due to Psychic Phenomena.
  • The anecdote I told in this lecture is a true story.

http://frontrowcrew.com/videos/geeknights-lectures/139/the-difference-between-trolling-and-griefing/

I quit the server immediately without a word.
  • edited February 2015
    Nukerjsr said:

Hearthstone is a nonstop Cavalcade of hilarious, random, sometimes rage-inducing moments.

Yup. Draw from deck mechanics can be a real pain-in-the-ass. I honestly think some of these games should just allow you to split your deck into two parts (equal or unequal, whichever works best) and allow you to draw from any combination of the two decks.

Post edited by Hethalos on
  • I once played a geme of Settlers of Catan with my youngest brother and some randoms we met at a convention. I was the most experienced player. I picked the spots with the most likely to pay out the most stuff and it was working. By the midgame I had 3 cites, largest army and a VP card.

And then the other players built roads and settlements around me! I was blocked off with no chance of another settlement and no chance of longest road.

I was buying cards every turn looking for one more victory point. Other players bought a few cards but I put everything in every turn to buy as many cards as I could. I made 4 for 1 trades to maximise my card buying ability for the "right now"!

Between us we went through the entire deck and I still didn't get another point!

At this point I realised I couldn't win because there were no more opportunities to get my tenth VP.

So I started trading favourably with my little brother to give him the win. :p

Alright. Now I'm convinced that direct conflict isn't absolutely necessary to make a game have kingmaking and leader-bashing. Catan definitely has a little too much player politics for my tastes.

But yeah; cool story.
  • Neito said:

Most of my hilarious moments in gaming involve this one game of Black Crusade I played with some friends. We had

1) Trantor, the kitty-loving Nurgle Space Marine that got us banned from the main spaceport in an area by trying to pet a doggy, killing the doggy with his massive Speece Mahreen strength, accidentally killing the owner who saw him, then dragging both corpses through the entirety of the space station, bringing the Inquisition (Space NepoliHitler SS) near our horribly desecrated heretical ship, after which our Techpriest attempted to get us out of trouble by suggesting we "bend the rules a bit", which went over as well as expected.

2) Said tech priest fucking up a 99% chance to successfully make a booby trap twice, causing a ship's warp core to explode, blowing up half a planet and most of a Rogue Trader's fleet.

3) Me switching the off switch on every gun and techpriest within a few hundred meters due to Psychic Phenomena.

Wow. Why do I keep hearing about absurd randomness from so many players who play either 40k or a 40k-based game?
  • Rym said:

The anecdote I told in this lecture is a true story.

http://frontrowcrew.com/videos/geeknights-lectures/139/the-difference-between-trolling-and-griefing/

I quit the server immediately without a word.

I saw that video. That moment made my day.

• Hethalos said:

Neito said:

Most of my hilarious moments in gaming involve this one game of Black Crusade I played with some friends. We had

Wow. Why do I keep hearing about absurd randomness from so many players who play either 40k or a 40k-based game?
    Warhammer is inherently filled with the silliness. My hard core group of Dark Elf Shades, stacked to the nines with an assassin who was basically death incarnate, were driven off by a group of gobbers with what constituted bad language.

Don't get me started on the guard they are literally a clown costume away from Zappo's.
  • It certainly doesn't hurt that the frankly absurd levels of grimdark makes even the small bits of funny stand out.
  • For unintentional hilarious moments, Innovation is the best I've seen. It's possible to have everyone lose the game by having Robots become self-aware. Another thing that happened was we ended up destroying civilization in a nuclear war and had to rebuild it.

While not a combat game per se, a lot of the game mechanics revolve around screwing the other players over. Not just in a passive-aggressive way either.
  • Raithnor said:

For unintentional hilarious moments, Innovation is the best I've seen. It's possible to have everyone lose the game by having Robots become self-aware. Another thing that happened was we ended up destroying civilization in a nuclear war and had to rebuild it.

While not a combat game per se, a lot of the game mechanics revolve around screwing the other players over. Not just in a passive-aggressive way either.

So, it's a combat game, only without usual violence tropes?

• Churba said:

It certainly doesn't hurt that the frankly absurd levels of grimdark makes even the small bits of funny stand out.

Yup. Tzeentch fucks everyone over when they least expect it...

• Hethalos said:

Raithnor said:

For unintentional hilarious moments, Innovation is the best I've seen. It's possible to have everyone lose the game by having Robots become self-aware. Another thing that happened was we ended up destroying civilization in a nuclear war and had to rebuild it.

More or less. All of the card are Technological advances or famous people. Certain cards allow you to seriously mess up other players. So there are cards like Machine Gun and Explosives, in addition to Mass Media and Global banking.

For example, one time a player ended up using the invention of the Bicycle to achieve victory. It's like writing the history of the world with magnetic poetry.
  • Hethalos said:

Innovation is more about finding a way to get a big stick, and swinging it indiscriminately until someone gets a bigger stick. Polarizing game, but usually amusing - with all the expansions, we played one game where Bruce Lee killed a robotic Sergei Brin. I'm also the one that launched the nuke causing the mutually assured destruction...