This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cowboy Bebop

edited November 2007 in Anime
I'm watching this now and it bothers me that there's no discussion for it yet.

I'm looking to purchase this but good friggin' god is that expensive! 30 bucks a DVD, 6 DVD's - 180 bucks for A SERIES?!
Yeesh. That's some brutal shit right there. Any advice on where to get it cheap?

Comments

• I'd like some non-bootlegs.
  • edited November 2007
    In Australia Ezydvd.com.au is pretty decent. They also ship outside of Australia for a fee. In American, I have no idea. 8D

Ebay isn't all bootlegs and is by far the cheapest. It just takes a little time to find a good listing. Look for one with a photo of the DVDs attached. Most bootleg listings seem to just be a picture from the series' promotional art or something - not of actual discs in cases.
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • edited November 2007
    God, I am glad time and time again that I waited so long to buy Azumanga Daioh although I love that series. Unfortunately, the discs were always way to expensive at 30€ each, but yesterday I found out that a box set including all 6 discs is going to be released and ordered the thing at Amazon for only 55€.

With Anime you always have to ask yourself if the price that is asked is really worth it and you couldn't spend your money in a better way. Unfortunately, most of the time Anime is just way to pricey. So far I found only a single series that was worth full retail to me which was Black Lagoon at "only" 23€ a disc.

With Cowboy Bebop I can't really give you a good option, but in my opinion, if you are american, Netflix is the cheapest way to legally watch the series. If you really want to own it I would wait for the price to drop or a sale on RightStuf or a similar site.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I'm with Netflix on this one. I mean I have an infinite amount of anime on my netflix list. I'm probably not going to see things I'm adding on the list now until two or three years from now.
  • I'm with Netflix on this one. I mean I have an infinite amount of anime on my netflix list. I'm probably not going to see things I'm adding on the list now until two or three years from now.
    You sound like a kindred spirit. I have years of stuff in my queue. I mentally divide it between the top ten, which more or less reflect the next ten DVD's I'd like to watch, and the other 390 or so, which is a mish-mash of ideas, and a backstop against my ignoring my queue for a while.

I'm grateful to Netflix for Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, two shows I'd have never seen if I had to buy them.
  • Netflix.

Canada :(
    Trigun

I got it all on a whim at an FYE in New York somewhere just across a lake in Ontario  - Watertown? Anyway, I was looking at the anime which was all stupidly expensive but TriGun was there and both collector sets were half off for 50 bucks each - all of TriGun for 100 bucks and a couple useless do-dads... not too bad, considering.

• Canada :(
    There's no Netflix in Canada? I smell a business opportunity.

I think something like Blockbuster or something has a mail-home thing. I can never remember because I can't do it thanks to lackage of credit card and underageness. That's our NetFlix.

..We may possibly have Netflix, but I doubt it.
  • Canada :(There's no Netflix in Canada? I smell a business opportunity.

If I was organized, I would be all on top of that faster than I'm on a lot of your moms. Hey-ohhh. Anyway, it stinks... :(

Kage, I am in Alberta and can't get Blockbuster :( Why won't Netflix even let me watch it on my computer? Seriously.
  • Kage, I am in Alberta and can't get Blockbuster :( Why won't Netflix even let me watch it on my computer? Seriously.
    Alberta doesn't suck, but Calgary does.
  • I like Calgary more than Edmonton. What's your beef with C-Town?

Reference, not caught.
    If I was organized, I would be all on top of that faster than I'm on a lot of your moms. Hey-ohhh. Anyway, it stinks... :(

Kage, I am in Alberta and can't get Blockbuster :( Why won't Netflix even let me watch it on my computer? Seriously.

So am I. =< In GP. Eeevil GP. ><;

I dunno, I just remember some commercial, somewhere, about blockbuster or something. I never used it. *shrugs*
    Reference, not caught.

Why don't you like Calgary is what I'm asking.

Reference, not caught.
    Why don't you like Calgary is what I'm asking.
    Why don't you like Calgary is what I'm asking.I don't care one way or the other about Calgary. I am making a reference to something else which you did not catch. That is what I am saying.
  • Anime is crazy expensive.

This is for two reasons: because many such things in Japan are, in fact, ridiculously expensive, due to the realities of the Japanese economy, and because, despite the markdown (oddly enough) we usually get in America on licensed anime, all costs for foreign goods are rising due to (surprise!) our terrible, terrible dollar.

That being said, anyone who hasn't seen Cowboy Bebop ought to buy it, if only to encourage (in theory) further development of similar shows.
  • I remember seeing Cowboy Bebop at the local anime rental place when it was VHS and didn't really give it a second thought. After many weeks of passing it up, I gave it a shot. I was hooked.

When it came out on DVD, I didn't mind dropping the $30 on each DVD. I even dropped the $20 to get the cool looking box to hold them. It was an impulse buy, and I couldn't help myself. Luckily it was a good purchase because they stopped selling those boxes, and seeing some of the prices on amazon, it's ridiculous.
  • I don't care one way or the other about Calgary. I am making a reference to something else which you did not catch. That is what I am saying.No need to watch him squirm. MitchyD, it's from a song.
  • God damn I was confused. Thanks man. =D
  • edited May 2008
    Alright, instead of making a new topic, I'm just going to resurrect this.

Anyways, me and 2 of my friends two of my friends and I just got done watching the entire series. We watched it over the course of 3-4 sitdowns (I don't remember exactly...). It was their first time seeing it, my 2nd/3rd (I've seen some eps only twice, some 3-4 times...so it's between 2 and 3).

One of my friends liked everything but the ending. He didn't really say what he didn't like about it other than he thought it was too melodramatic / there wasn't a big enough climax...

The other didn't like the series at all. First off, he doesn't really like the episodic-ness to it. He says that the main story was too short and not fully fleshed out. He says the characters were hard to care for (Julia and Vicious I can kinda agree with, since they were only in like 5ish episodes each, but for Jet, Spike, and Faye you've just gotta be shitting me). He also overanalyzed the entire motherfucking series. From questioning how Spike survived getting shot so many times all the way down to shit as minute as "a shotgun shouldn't have that kinda range".

So fellow forumers, please tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks they're both fucktards.

P.S. Yes I know people are entitled to their opinions....but sometimes opinions are fucking stupid. Plus, the logic they used to back up their opinions can be refuted to a degree.

edit: Yes I knew I was using improper goddamn grammar. That's more slang than a grammar mistake, IMO.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I think of the series as more character driven than story driven seeing as most of the series was episodic. They were looking for a classic buildup to a climax then a relief at the end of the story which bebop goes up then down the gets awesome towards the end then leaves you hanging. It just wasn't what they were expecting so they had negative opinions about it.
  • edited May 2008
    disclaimer: I have not finished the series (I'm around episode 18) even though the ending and the significant events leading up to the ending have all been spoiled for me because the internet is a butt. My opinion of the show may be altered by those few episodes that I have not seen, but I doubt it.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the internet, I'm going to have to say that, at least with what I've seen of the show, I agree with your friends on some points and am personally unimpressed with the show as a whole.

The episodic nature of the show does bother me especially when so much of the attention is placed on the side characters. It's very hard to care about people that have been introduced 10 minutes ago and will never be mentioned again, regardless of their fate, at the end of the episode.

Everything returns to a baseline setup at the end of every episode, so there is no real chance of anything significant happening in any episode that is not related to the main storyline. As such any tension or interest is gone in episodes not related to the main story (which are the vast majority of episodes in Cowboy Bebop). There's not even a lot of character development that I could see. Various episodes do reveal or clarify various facets of the main characters' already deep personalities, but it's not very interesting because the decisions that those facets result in are ultimately meaningless within the context of the show and the character remains unchanged at the beginning of the next episode.

In any case the point that I was going to make, which I seemed to have strayed from, is that it is perfectly legitimate to dislike cowboy bebop, and there may be logic behind opinions other than yours.
    Post edited by Exarion on
  • I really found Cowboy Bebop to be kind of boring and didn't find it to be that great of an Anime. Of course, this is just my personal opinion and I know I will be hated by all of you Anime lovers.
  • My opinion of the show may be altered by those few episodes that I have not seen, but I doubt it.
    You're at 2 thirds, how can you say that? You still have 4 more hours to watch of the show. A lot can still happen, so you shouldn't be discounting it already unless you find it unwatchable. But then you would've stopped after episode one.

Come back with your opinion fully formulated (yes, type an essay if you have that much to say) once you have watched the entire show, don't bother with this half-way nonsense, it's neither a preview/first-look or review, so it must be nothing.
  • Cowboy Bebop is possibly the most aesthetically complete anime I have ever seen. Character design, dialogue, music, direction, editing, pacing, etc. everything worked together, complementing each other to create what I believe to be a masterpiece. The show was at turns diverting, hilarious, somber, and touching and the compelling characters and the revealed personal plots created a constant dynamic that drove the show forward without at a compelling, but never forceful pace. I adore this series and consider it to be one of, if not the best anime ever made.
  • it's neither a preview/first-look or review, so it must be nothing
    Awesome logic!
    It is something. It's his opinion of the first 18 episodes of Cowboy Bebop. All in all, he just said that he finds it perfectly understandable for someone to dislike Bebop.

The thing I wanna know is, what do all the Bebop haters have in common?
  • edited May 2008
    Posted By: Dkong1026

That they don't like Cowboy Bebop?

if your idea is that everybody who doesn't like it has something in common with every other person who doesn't like it, you are sorely mistaken. Opinions are different, there are flaws in every show, I have explained the flaws that bother me but someone else who doesn't like it may dislike it for completely different reasons.
    Post edited by Exarion on
  • Posted By: Dkong1026
    That they don't like Cowboy Bebop?

if your idea is that everybody who doesn't like it has something in common with every other person who doesn't like it, you are sorely mistaken. Opinions are different, there are flaws in every show, I have explained the flaws that bother me but someone else who doesn't like it may dislike it for completely different reasons.True, but I bet that there's something they have in common outside of obvious things.
    Dislike of the art style?
    Desiring moar shonen fighting, which Bebop delivers very little of (at least tournament style fights)?

Who knows.