This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weekend coding

Comments

• I'm debating on whether or not to impelment a FOV system or just maintain the current "you can see everything in the light, including around corner" method. Gameplay wise, I'm not sure what would be better, especially as one starts adding more lights.
  • edited February 2015
    Came up with what I thought would be a simple and funny game called "Soccer Mom Sim." It is basically going to be a pointless (probably) adventure style game that most likely won't even be a game. I just wanted to throw some funny ideas about the proverbial soccer mom in to an interactive environment. Originally I was going to use RPG Maker since that basically has everything I want but I immediatly found a lot of stupid restrictions to the engine that it sounds like I can hack around but fuck that. So I decided to learn Unity finally. I was gonna give UE4 a go, but since I'm more comfortable with C# currently it just seems easier. Game Maker would probably be the easiest but I just don't really like Game Maker that much.

I don't really have much done since it's been writing and rewriting the same movement script a couple times until I finally found a tutorial that pointed me in the right direction. There's a lot of tutorials for Unity but a lot of them are written by people that apparently don't know you don't need curly braces on selection and iteration statements (I always add them, but you should know common syntax rules). So as you can imagine there is a lot of really inefficient or overly complex methods to accomplish the same thing.

I have player movement down finally, so this weekend I'm gonna try and work on object interaction. Not really sure the best way to manage dialogue trees so I'll figure something out. Probably an actual tree with nodes containing possible conditions and accompanying dialogue I suppose.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Why can't Django models have lists as a field type? Booooo.

Django doesn't work in fields, he's free now.

Someone doesn't know how relational databases work.
  • I know, but I have lots of stuff already working which uses simple lists, and now I have to re-write it.
  • I know, but I have lots of stuff already working which uses simple lists, and now I have to re-write it.

If you don't need to query on the data in the lists, you can store them in a file instead of the database.
  • Apreche said:

I know, but I have lots of stuff already working which uses simple lists, and now I have to re-write it.

If you don't need to query on the data in the lists, you can store them in a file instead of the database.
    From what I can tell, it turns out I only needed this list data when populating the database. For now I can just keep it in memory while the populate script runs, and if it's needed for anything I'll just read it from the csv file again.
  • Did anyone use their algorithm's book (if bought) and used after moving into the workforce?

Alternatively (and more likely) is there a particular online resource you guys recommend for refreshing algorithm knowledge / problems?
  • I've only worked in web development, in which case the things in the algorithms book are not useful. Any kind of algorithm you need is taken care of by already-written software, such as sorting, querying, searching, etc.

But to develop even the simplest of games, you have to at least start looking at A* implementations.
  • I've used it primarily to brush up on interviews. It's still a damn fine book.
  • okeefe said:

I've used it primarily to brush up on interviews. It's still a damn fine book.

Yeah this is mostly what I use it for as well. I mean, sometimes they are nice to go back to for ideas, but usually the most efficient way of doing something is packaged somewhere for sorting tasks and whatnot. There may be other times when you might find it handy. For instance there are many simple ADTs that .NET and Java don't have available. They offer other solutions, but if you know something will be better in terms of run time or space complexity then you might want to implement something for a project.
  • edited February 2015
    sK0pe said:

Did anyone use their algorithm's book (if bought) and used after moving into the workforce?

Depends on what you are asking. Do I use the book? No, but only because it is required for you to know it off the top of your head for my job. Also because people like to shit on the c++ standard library and want to implement their own.

Post edited by Andrew on
  • I just stayed up all night programming an android app. My alarm for class (CS ironically) goes off in an hour. I'm just staying up at this point.
  • Well in that case do you have any personal recommendations for texts?
    Cormen seems to be rated highly but many of the more recent comments indicate it is written poorly for someone new to learn from.
    Weiss is the recommended text for my unit however there are limited reviews and the attitude is polar.

Most of the reviews on the data structures and algorithm books are shady.
    I might just muddle my way through the course, I'm only in the first week of the unit. If the concepts start flowing naturally as they did last year I'll skip buying a text till later.

Seems a bit weird that there are so many books for programming job interviews, I honestly didn't realise interviews were so exhaustive on questions, however I guess I've done a paid day's work for a few practices to show surgical proficiency before.

I understand where Andrew is coming from because when I worked as a Veterinarian I ended up with just a pharmaceutical text on my phone that I used a few times a week, an internal medicine book I used for double checking complicated cases a few times a month and a surgery book I used a few times a year when an uncommon orthopaedic surgery was booked in.
  • sK0pe said:

Well in that case do you have any personal recommendations for texts?
    Cormen seems to be rated highly but many of the more recent comments indicate it is written poorly for someone new to learn from.

CLRS is the way and the light. (Though it was CLR when I took Algorithms.)
  • That's definitely the most standard. I've also heard some good things about Introduction to the Design and Analysis of Algorithms.
  • Andrew said:

sK0pe said:

Did anyone use their algorithm's book (if bought) and used after moving into the workforce?

Depends on what you are asking. Do I use the book? No, but only because it is required for you to know it off the top of your head for my job. Also because people like to shit on the c++ standard library and want to implement their own.

Or they just go a step further and implement their own C++ with C.
  • MATATAT said:

Andrew said:

sK0pe said:

Or they just go a step further and implement their own C++ with C.
    That's my preferred method. Get enough C libraries to get all the features. C++ syntax is just so painful to my eyes. Too much of this garbage

var< type<another type?> > :: omg there's more?;

Get your colons and chevrons out of my face.

type varname; // NUFF SAID
  • edited February 2015
    Your in appropriate use of the ternary operator is disturbing.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Andrew said:

Your in appropriate use of the ternary operator is disturbing.

Oh, sorry. My question marks were actually there to ask sarcastic questions and were not for a ternary operator.

• BTW, this is the best talk about why C++ is really fucking stupid sometimes.
  • The hair on that guy...
  • Yes, it is known that Scott Meyers has the hair of a 50 year old lady.
  • In fact there was a poll about it at CPPcon
    http://www.aristeia.com/hairpoll/
  • My big coding project at the moment is the Fight Night Combat website. It's a lot of fun, and I've learned loads, but I knew I had to step it up to the next level.

I researched various web frameworks, and it turns out Django is going to be a perfect fit. So far I kinda wrote my own object-based framework, and it spits out static HTML files. All the hard lifting is done before it ever creates a single page though, with all the data stored as objects.

So moving it across to a Django project should (hopefully) be not too tricky. The way Django does all the database stuff behind the scenes, and you just call objects is perfect. The workshop had a "populate database" step, and I think I'm probably going to be able to cut and paste half my existing class and object code right into it with minimal changes.

Then, of course, I need to split my current html-page-building functions into views and templates. That'll be the biggest job, but I hope to learn loads more along the way.

So that only took two months of weekend coding!

Now I need to work out how to get it running on the internet, not just on the development server on my laptop. All the re-writing and creating new features and learning Django and all that has been really good fun. This next step is going to be HELL!!!
  • My big coding project at the moment is the Fight Night Combat website. It's a lot of fun, and I've learned loads, but I knew I had to step it up to the next level.

I researched various web frameworks, and it turns out Django is going to be a perfect fit. So far I kinda wrote my own object-based framework, and it spits out static HTML files. All the hard lifting is done before it ever creates a single page though, with all the data stored as objects.

So moving it across to a Django project should (hopefully) be not too tricky. The way Django does all the database stuff behind the scenes, and you just call objects is perfect. The workshop had a "populate database" step, and I think I'm probably going to be able to cut and paste half my existing class and object code right into it with minimal changes.

Then, of course, I need to split my current html-page-building functions into views and templates. That'll be the biggest job, but I hope to learn loads more along the way.

So that only took two months of weekend coding!

Now I need to work out how to get it running on the internet, not just on the development server on my laptop. All the re-writing and creating new features and learning Django and all that has been really good fun. This next step is going to be HELL!!!
    Good luck, now you have to learn *NIX web server administration.
  • Thankfully Dreamhost has step by step instructions on running Django with something called Passenger that may or may not be box-ticking simple...
  • edited March 2015

Thankfully Dreamhost has step by step instructions on running Django with something called Passenger that may or may not be box-ticking simple...

Basically, here's the way things work in the land of hosting web applications. If you learn to administer a server completely by yourself you pay a low price and get a lot of power and awesomeness, such as using Linodes or Amazon EC2 instances. If you don't want to learn, you have to pay more money, and deal with weird limitations, such as with using Heroku.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I have yet to learn anything. I'm here to learn. I just know this stuff might defeat me for about 6 months before I'm comfortable with it.