This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anti-GamerGate Appreciation Thread (Daikun Free Zone)

Comments

• And then there is this comment:

I pride myself in my lack of empathy. I honestly see empathy as "the path to hell, paved with good intentions". I have my own concerns to worry about, work, health, home, family. I have lost things and people before, recently in fact.

But to see empathy as a positive is not always a good thing.

Games like DAY Z are much more beneficial to society, as we learn to be self sustaining, instead of getting hung up on the stuff that has 0 impact on our lives. The fact is capitalism isn't going away and lack of empathy is a powerful survival tool.
    Have I mentioned that I love people.....No? Huh how about that.
  • And then there is this comment:

I pride myself in my lack of empathy. I honestly see empathy as "the path to hell, paved with good intentions". I have my own concerns to worry about, work, health, home, family. I have lost things and people before, recently in fact.

But to see empathy as a positive is not always a good thing.

Games like DAY Z are much more beneficial to society, as we learn to be self sustaining, instead of getting hung up on the stuff that has 0 impact on our lives. The fact is capitalism isn't going away and lack of empathy is a powerful survival tool.
    Ah, the height of 15-year-old "I just read The Foutainhead" philosophy.

Fuck this fucking nonsense.
  • This is borderline sociopathic.
  • That is the kind of person who will become a cannibal marauder in the post-apocalypse.
  • Least they will drop decent loot, bit of RAD_X or something.
  • Meanwhile, on 8chan (the refuge of gamergate after 4chan kicked them out), this is what's going on.

TL;DR? They want to make Rhodesia 2: Wizard Boogaloo.
  • Rym said:

Meanwhile, on 8chan (the refuge of gamergate after 4chan kicked them out), this is what's going on.

Rym, do you know why Rhodesia is called Rhodesia?

• Wouldn't they be better off just forming some sort of nazi commune in Utah or something? Those huge mormon compounds are still around.
  • This is borderline sociopathic.

Borderline? This is pretty much the definition of sociopathy.
  • edited February 2015
    Rym said:

Meanwhile, on 8chan (the refuge of gamergate after 4chan kicked them out), this is what's going on.

Considering how often Libertarians have proposed, and then utterly failed to bring into reality various versions of Galt's Gulch, and how many Libertarians are drawn to Gamergate, it was almost an inevitability.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • They want their own gamergated community.
  • rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gamergate
    Probably the best compilation of the history of Gamersgate I've found
  • It would be easier to summarily dismiss immature Randian bullshit if it didn't seem to "inform" so much policy in my country... :P
  • muppet said:

It would be easier to summarily dismiss immature Randian bullshit if it didn't seem to "inform" so much policy in my country... :P

Are you posting in the right thread? I can't tell what you're responding to here.

• Probably 2 pages ago. I forgot, too.

Oh, it was the "lack of empathy is good" rant.
  • I literally can't even.
  • edited February 2015
    These got posted to me when I brought that up. They're apparently context.

Also, college campuses are camps for training feminists now. Just an FYI.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • Churba said:
    Did the PAX staff make comment on this or any particular plans to address potential GGer violence?

• A gomergater tried to tell me everything Sarkisian says is wrong because, in her thesis from 2010, she cited an article staying that there is no link between video games and violence. Then, he linked to fake, photoshopped tweets and said because she said those things on twitter, her entire argument was wrong.
    Then he devolved into raving and insults.
    Then, there were sea lions.
  • edited March 2015

Churba said:
    Did the PAX staff make comment on this or any particular plans to address potential GGer violence?
    Outside of the expected "We do our best to keep all our attendees and panelists safe" sort of thing I'm not sure they made any statements, but I'm sure security is very well aware and will be acting appropriately.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Has there been any actual violence as a result of these threats? Because it sounds like your average internet shitbags to me, with a little extra sexism and selfrighteousness.
  • edited March 2015

Has there been any actual violence as a result of these threats? Because it sounds like your average internet shitbags to me, with a little extra sexism and selfrighteousness.

Only that I've heard of in rumor, nothing substantiated, and even then it was relatively minor. However, that doesn't really matter - as much as nothing has happened so far, you sure as hell don't want your venue or event to be where the first occurrence goes down.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Stuff like this is easily enough for Brianna to not attend an event:

Game developer and frequent Gamergate target Brianna Wu says she fears for her safety due to a bizarre and threatening YouTube video posted by a Massachusetts man this weekend. The man has posted several videos accusing Wu of trying to assassinate him; the newest video shows him standing next to his wrecked car, which he says he crashed on his way to "confront" her.

The man posts on YouTube under the name "ParkourDude91," and has said in several videos and on Twitter that his name is Jace Connors. Connors is somewhat infamous online: He's claimed for years to be, variously, a former U.S. Marine or, in his Twitter bio, a former Navy SEAL. He's also said that he lives with his mother and posts frequently about video games. In the past he referred to himself as a juggalo (an Insane Clown Posse Fan), but these days says he's a Gamergate supporter. There's a cruel and mocking entry on the "parody" site Encyclopedia Dramatica about Connors, detailing his long history of strange claims and his fondness for appearing in his YouTube videos brandishing a knife featuring the Marines' "Semper Fi" motto and, occasionally, an Airsoft (replica) gun styled to look like a Desert Eagle pistol. Another video posted online shows Connors and a friend apparently beating up and threatening a third man with an Airsoft gun to get him to "pay" for an XBox they accuse him of stealing.

Connors has denied on Twitter that he suffers from mental illness, but has also written that he has a "past history" of schizophrenia, for which he says he takes medication. His YouTube videos show someone with a number of paranoid and delusional beliefs about various conspiracies against him. In recent months, Connors seems to have become fixated on Brianna Wu. Here is the video he posted Friday, titled "Brianna Wu tried to assassinate me street racing."

In the start of the video, Connors is standing in the snow next to what he says is his mother's wrecked Prius. He's yelling almost unintelligibly: "I wasn't even fucking drunk, I was just street racing, I was just street racing." He dissolves into screams as he kicks the wrecked car. The video then fades into a black screen with white text, where Connors accuses Wu of masterminding the accident: "I suspect Brianna Wu rigged my mom's Prius to crash and/or kill me to silence me from being a #GamerGate Vigilante... The crash happened today while I was driving to Wu's house (in order to expose her as a corrupt gamer by racing her on camera)."

Wu says she's alarmed by Connors' threats and his expressed desire to come to her house to "confront" her. Both of them live near Boston. After someone sent her the latest video, she posted a series of tweets begging police to arrest him and pointing out it's not the first time he's expressed a desire to punish her for what he calls "treachery."
  • ^That same man who has made all those threats and videos just came
    out and said: "It was all satire!"
  • WTF?

"Only in the twisted, face-obsessed world of Reddit, the chans, and YouTube, is the distinction between a sociopath terrorizing a woman on behalf of Gamergate and a sociopath terrorizing a woman on behalf of an obscure satirical point involving Gamergate a meaningful one. Even if we take Rankowski at his word, outside of the Greater Internet Psycho Co-Prosperity Sphere, this line is nonexistent: Jace Connors purported to be a frightening, gaming-obsessed young man who terrorized Brianna Wu for amusement. In reality, Jace Connors is a frightening, gaming-obsessed young man who terrorized Brianna Wu for amusement... named Jan Rankowski. "
  • Nukerjsr said:

^That same man who has made all those threats and videos just came
    out and said: "It was all satire!"

• Does he have a portfolio of other satires he has committed?
  • Thing is, this is PAX Boston. The city of cowards forces them to make every single attendee go through a bag search (at Anime Boston I was also required to submit to metal detectors several times), and there are lots of police around.

Couple that with the enforcers and acute awareness of the gomergate morons' activities/dangers, and PAX is probably one of the safest gaming events one could attend.