This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Best Starwars RPG?

I love Fantasy Flight's Star Wars series: Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny.
But it doesn't seem to have much in the way of long term character growth.

Is there a better system for long term games?

Comments

• I haven't really looked at the new FFG Star Wars RPG, but I loved the D20 Saga Edition. I loved that there were so many more sourcebooks and different campaign settings you can play in. Want to play in the Old Republic Era? Check. During the original trilogy? Check. Want to play in the post-Jedi New Republic Era? Fine. Want to jump ahead a 100 years or so and play in the Legacy Era? Have fun.

I have no doubt that FFG is going to release more books for their Star Wars RPG. It's just going to take a while. Also, by killing off the extended universe, it really limits the different settings you can play in, which I think is a serious limitation.
  • edited March 2015
    I'm only familiar with the first one from West End Games, and the d20 version.

West End Games was not very growth-intensive, from what I recall. You sort of set your characters and let them go. It was also shitty.

d20 has character progression (I mean, it's WotC after all) but I never really liked it. A better system, but...I don't know, it was too "crunchy" for the feel of Star Wars.

Truth be told, I've never really enjoyed any particular Star Wars system. Generic space opera is fantastic, but I find most systems are hampered by a combination of desire to cleave to canon and fanboy wank.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Fantasy Flight has a ton of books already. It's just that players and NPCs have an arbitrary cap on power. I suppose that's more realistic so that even a lowly Gamorian could potentially wound a player character. But I know my players like to see those little numbers go up.
  • Fantasy Flight has a ton of books already. It's just that players and NPCs have an arbitrary cap on power. I suppose that's more realistic so that even a lowly Gamorian could potentially wound a player character. But I know my players like to see those little numbers go up.

Hm, interesting. Sounds like a system that's set to give a more "cinematic" vibe. That, I think, could be better in keeping with the feel of Star Wars, but would limit applicability outside of that.

As I said, the d20 system has a lot of progression and growth. It's level-based, so high-level characters simply woefully outclass lower-level ones. However, a competent GM will pace the game to consistently provide good challenges to the players, and progression isn't so rapid that you can't plan around it.

So yeah, the d20 system may be more your bag.
  • I never played it, but man, when I was in full-on Star Wars obsession mode (around 7th grade) I consumed the lore in those West End books.
  • Did you hear Star Wars Rebels has been taking inspiration from that RPG?
  • No, but I did notice that they had done an incredibly good job of sticking within the lore, while telling their own story. I was overall very impressed by this first season. Makes more sense now!
  • edited March 2015
    Matt said:

No, but I did notice that they had done an incredibly good job of sticking within the lore, while telling their own story. I was overall very impressed by this first season. Makes more sense now!

It's pretty good how they've been drawing heavily from the EU - honestly, that's why I'm not so worried about the whole "Oh noes, they DESTROYED THE EU" thing, because they've shown they're willing to pull from it extensively, rather than just contradicting it or overruling it with something new, but discarding all the stuff that didn't make sense, or was just bad.

And really, the EU was getting to be absurdly dense, and pretty fucking wobbly under it's own weight, with lots of internal contradictions and other assorted mess - you could barely hurl a trugut without it caroming off a dozen different people who have somehow had a major influence on galactic events, and every family tree was basically a who's who of movers and shakers in the galaxy.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I would probably use the basic framework of Lady Blackbird and swap all the proper nouns. Best fit for the feel of Star Wars movies.
  • I was always enthralled by the existence of the Corporate Sector.
  • This super depends on what exact part(s) of Star Wars you want to be important in your game. The more of it you want, the more generic/encompassing the system. Or you could just pull ideas from Star Wars and pick a system to explore those ideas and variations.

That said, if you don't know what all you want, Lady Blackbird or Fate Accelerated are good systems to try first. Misspent Youth could also work (and uses a names-filed-off Star Wars as a running example in the text) if you want to be punk teen(ish) Rebels fighting the Empire.
  • Danger Patrol! or Marvel Superheroes re-skinned may also give you the right cinematic vibe.

Really, I just recommend Danger Patrol! for all purposes.