This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Yeah, we'll be building a flying model that holds 1-2 people:

That's the 2-seater, the larger one. We're thinking of going down in size tho to a simpler single seater, so instead of being $40-50k to build a flying version, it'll be closer to $15-25 depending on engine. There's market for both as a kitplane, which is the eventual goal.

My foot isn't as screwed up as I'd feared. Still a little painful right at the impact point if I flex it, but normal function and pain levels otherwise.

Also fail of boo-ya 2.0:

Booyah moment: Found I can actually pseudo figure out how some of this CNC electronics stuff works (know just enough to make a better buying decision than 'bigger numbers must be better right?' but not yet understanding quite the fundamentals or math of electrical engineering) and am finding I can save a few bucks, and get better-suited equipment for my needs, by not going the pre-packaged kit route.

Fail: End up spending more money at the end of the day by falling down the slippery slope of 'for a few dollars more...'

Same thing happens when building a PC: except now the physical factors and considerations are more significant I'd say. It's not a static box, it's got multiple moving parts, some spinning at thousands of RPM with blades at the end...
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • Now that is awesome... :) I can't wait to see pictures/video/etc. when it's finished and flying (total airplane geek here).
  • Bachelor Party Redux was quite fun. Brazillian steakhouse and beer.

I am currently in the throes of a meat hangover, though. Bleah. I can't even think about food.
  • In a year of less work and fewer work trips, and having to pay for home improvements for disabled and retired parents, more work trips are very welcome!

But why do they have to clash exacty with the only juggling convention I planned on attending before the end of the year?
  • Possibly because you are skilled at balancing multiple items simultaneously?
  • It's 11:30 PM and I've been in the job since 9 AM. Fucking gigantic system upgrade of our ticketing system. At least it looks like everything is fine, but I really want to go to bed now.
  • Fail: Wife's car had a situation with a broken back windshield. No biggie, I can afford some new auto glass.
    Extra Fail: What's that? The rear windshield wiper got busted in the process? One of the three mounting points in the plastic bracket (which holds the entire wiper motor fixture to the hatchback door) had snapped right off.
    The Sobering News: Dealership says the wiper is only sold as a complete assembly, easily $600, special order part.

Fuck. That.

Boo-yah: Took that shit apart and used epoxy to hold the plastic bracket together. Works like a champ. Besides, I can't even remember the last time I even used a rear wiper. Not paying big bucks for that.
  • I went to IKEA 3 times in the span of a week. Oww my wallet, yay stuff for the house.
  • I went to IKEA 3 times in the span of a week. Oww my wallet, yay stuff for the house.

I know this feeling well I once went in to get a bed frame and came out with a mattress, side tables and study table as well.

• Fail - Power supply blew up and let out the magic smoke in the morning at 10.

Success - New power supply bought by midday, including time fart-arsing around checking other components and everything else for problems.

Success - still haven't broken my record of first-time-every-time POST

Fail - I did, however, plug my front fan in backwards, which I'll need to fix.
  • Boo-Yah: Had an absolute blast at MAGFest. ++ Would attend again.
    Fail: Jesus fucking Christ that whole development is expensive. $9 to bug out of a Thai place having only ordered drinks.
    Double Fail: Bank must have though my card was stolen because I couldn't use it except at the ATM all weekend.
  • Churba said:

Fail - Power supply blew up and let out the magic smoke in the morning at 10.

Success - New power supply bought by midday, including time fart-arsing around checking other components and everything else for problems.

Success - still haven't broken my record of first-time-every-time POST

Fail - I did, however, plug my front fan in backwards, which I'll need to fix.

Isn't this your second or third PSU this year?
  • edited January 2015

Isn't this your second or third PSU this year?

Nope, that was 2012, I had to RMA one. To be exact, about an hour before we recorded episode 51, The Return of Ray, the same episode we had the fantastic Lauren Goodnight, Ray(Who is brilliant), and the first debut of the current album art and theme music.

Though, I don't know what's up with me an power supplies. I'm doing everything right, from distributing load properly to buying appropriately rated supplies(I think - but let's face it, 650-700w should be more than enough), but still, they keep going dodgy on me.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Maybe there's something in your PC that's dodgy and drawing more power than it ought to?
  • Boo-Yah: Put together my first PC!

Fail: My monitor is a PoS that only uses VGA, and the PC is not recognizing its max screen resolution of 1920x1080.

I've got other things to work on right now, I'll get back to this (probably easy to fix) issue later in the week.
  • Banta said:

Boo-Yah: Put together my first PC!

Fail: My monitor is a PoS that only uses VGA, and the PC is not recognizing its max screen resolution of 1920x1080.

I've got other things to work on right now, I'll get back to this (probably easy to fix) issue later in the week.

Probably the cable or the video card manufacturer not bothering to put a chip that will convert the analog VGA signal to digital optimally.
  • edited February 2015
    The card doesn't have a VGA port, I'm using a converter to DVI, which probably isn't helping.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • Banta said:

The card doesn't have a VGA port, I'm using a converter to DVI, which probably isn't helping.

I wouldn't have expected it to but older cards would expect people to have people use the converters and still allow a max of 2k across VGA.

I'm pretty sure most manufacturers are not bothering, you likely have a DVI, HDMI and a bunch of Display ports. They need to make sure that DP is supported.
  • I haven't worn a skirt in years! Saw one I thought was pretty and decided to give skirts a try again. It's super comfy and I like the way it looks on me. Then I realized I don't have pockets...and I don't have a purse because I'm use to having pockets......My phone is in my bra and now I'll get breast cancer :( lol jk ...but seriously i need to get a purse now.
  • What you really need is one of those bags that men wear with kilts.
  • What you really need is one of those bags that men wear with kilts.

Vic, those are your testicles, and traditionally you're meant to keep them on the inside of the kilt.
  • Sometimes I have a feeling you and I could do a manzai act and be alright at it.
  • Churba said:

What you really need is one of those bags that men wear with kilts.

Vic, those are your testicles, and traditionally you're meant to keep them on the inside of the kilt.
    LOL!
  • Sometimes I have a feeling you and I could do a manzai act and be alright at it.

We couldn't possibly, my Kansai-ben is terrible.
  • Boo-yah: Ear is fine, just scratched the canal.
    Fail: Blood pressure is elevated.
  • Booyah...
  • I entered a Minecraft contest run by the Chartered Institute of Buildings, of which I'm an incorporate member, prize is an iPad mini. I have been doing really well, very pleased with my creation. It's head and shoulders above everyone else's!

Just spoken to some other participants. They told me they 8 and 11 year old... That explains a lot about the conversations I've had with other people who seemed to be into odd things (Minecraft not withstanding). Their CIOB parents must have signed them up.

The narrative has changed from "Guy is best in CIOB at Minecraft", to "Grown man pwns preteens for prize".
  • The narrative has changed from "Guy is best in CIOB at Minecraft", to "Grown man pwns preteens for prize".

• edited March 2015
    Boo yah: The Alan Lomax recordings are all now digital and free.

Fail: There's no way to batch download and they don't come with ID3 tags.

EDIT: 2nd fail: The servers are overloaded and can't load more songs.
    Post edited by Greg on