This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Avengers (with spoilers)

Comments

• The winter finale of Agents of SHIELD. Damn. No idea what that ending meant. I feel more betrayal coming on from someone in the team.
  • Yea I've been trying to figure out what Mack and Bobbi are in on. I mean Bobbi is a freaking Avenger in the Comics. So I've been thinking maybe just maybe they are setting up the Shield team to be the Secret Avengers?
  • Wyatt said:

Yeah. Cap defiantly loosens his grip and chooses not to pick it up.

Cap picks it up at a critical scene in the movie.

There's a scene later where he, after a slight hesitation, hands it back to Thor.
  • Rym said:

Wyatt said:

Yeah. Cap defiantly loosens his grip and chooses not to pick it up.

Cap picks it up at a critical scene in the movie.

There's a scene later where he, after a slight hesitation, hands it back to Thor.
    But if he hesitates in giving it back to its rightful owner, wouldn't he then cease to fulfill the requirements of being "Worthy" to wield the hammer, and thus immediately drop it? I can't find specifics of what determines worthiness, but I assume greed and the temptation of power may disqualify him. (Which would likely be out of character for Cap anyway).
  • edited January 2015

Watch in full screen.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Ant-man trailer:
  • Knowing what this movie could've been, that looks even more disappointingly generic than I feared. :(
  • edited January 2015
    All of hollywood is generic shplodge. They're too afraid of any real story telling when profits are to be made. A shame really. So many movies had such great potential, but ultimately fail to have any impact.

Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • New Avengers trailer
  • looks like it's going to be fun!
  • I'm getting really tired of each and every new plot being some tragic event with Skye to where she's all sad and mopey. It's one Skye pity party after the next. I didn't like her character in season 1 and I really don't like it anymore in season 2. The show obviously revolves around her and her being an Inhuman, but can they at least write her character to where she isn't complaining from one thing to the next? I guess we need to see her develop as a character. I'm just not impressed or sympathetic to her.

I don't find it plausible that a girl who has been searching her entire life to figure out who she is, where she came from, and who her parents are is easily so dismissive of her actual father, just because he turns out to not be the best dad on the planet.

I'm annoyed that there is yet another secret group within SHIELD between Bobbie and Mack to try to get the "keys to the kingdom" box that was given to Coulson from Fury because we know how well things go when a secret group/society is revealed when they deceive whomever.

I'm annoyed with Simmons and her overreaction to the possibility that Skye could be different and everything alien is evil. She's obviously going through the tragic loss of Trip, which I'm also annoyed that they killed him off.

The more I think about it, the more I really don't like most of the characters. I just want to see where this thing is going and how it will relate to the entire Marvel Universe and movies.
  • Rochelle said:

The more I think about it, the more I really don't like most of the characters. I just want to see where this thing is going and how it will relate to the entire Marvel Universe and movies.

Uh oh. That's how many comic fans interact with their comics.

They enjoy, over all else, the literal story after-the-fact. They want to know answers to questions. They want to know what happens. Lore and world building. The characters and craft are often secondary concerns.

The moment you stop liking a show/comic, but still want to know how it ends, just read spoilers.
  • Rochelle said:

Quake in the comics is WAY more self-assured (She ends up running shield for a while) I assume once we get past the inhumans are weapons of war and monsters bias that is causing her some angst she'll be like "YO GUYS I CAN USE EARTHQUAKE POWERS TO SOLVE ALL LIFE'S PROBLEMS" and may start being not as "OH WOOAAA IS MEE"
  • I am highly dubious of this ever happening. She's is now part of the Whedon doe-eyed brunette girl that can kick ass but her character is not much to be fond of or interested in.
  • I'm a bit behind on Agents of Shield as I haven't seen any of the episodes after it came back from its mid-year hiatus. That being said, I've never really found any of the main cast to be that particularly interesting or likable, except for Colson. It's too bad that Marvel/ABC seemed to put the majority of its focus into Agents of Shield when Agent Carter is a much better show (not that it's high art by any stretch of the imagination).

My biggest problem with Agents of Shield, aside from the cast, is that from the very first episode, it was never the show I wanted. I wanted a show that was focused on a global agency whose duty it was to protect humanity from threats, both known and unknown. Instead, it's just way too smale in terms of scale. Agents of Shield gets to play in the Marvel Universe and they have all these cool things and locations that they can take advantage of and instead it's just another "monster of the week" type show. I would have loved if they had focused more on the Hydra infestation and trying to stop that, instead of plots around Skye who I find to be the least interesting character on the show.
  • edited March 2015
    Rochelle said:

I don't find it plausible that a girl who has been searching her entire life to figure out who she is, where she came from, and who her parents are is easily so dismissive of her actual father, just because he turns out to not be the best dad on the planet.

Not the best Dad on the planet? The guy is a homicidal lunatic. His end goal was to turn his daughter into a weapon of mass destruction.

Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • You forgot to add the fact he became that way because Hydra/Whitehall took his wife and took her apart only to dump her body/remains in the forest. He also had the his only daughter taken away from him by SHIELD and kept them apart for so many years.

How was he turning her into a weapon of mass destruction? He never stated that. He wanted her to evolve to become who she was meant to be, just like her mother, who has been helping the newly evolved Inhumans adapt with their new powers after transformation.

Yeah he became homicidal because everything he knew and love was taken away from him. Skye so easily called him a monster without any possible context. Yeah he killed those guys because they pissed him off. I'm not saying he's a saint, but she easily dismissed her father, the one she has been looking for, to answer all her questions, to easily go into the arms of the only father figure of a few months, Coulson.

So I'm a bit sympathetic to the father's plight, even though he's also pretty out there.
  • edited March 2015
    Rochelle said:

He also had the his only daughter taken away from him by SHIELD and kept them apart for so many years.

Hydra attacked Skyes village not SHIELD. They saved her from being capture/killed.

How was he turning her into a weapon of mass destruction? He never stated that.
    Zabo wants revenge against SHIELD for one. Dude has goals not unlike Magneto, aspirations to put down humanity or subjugated it at the very least. What better way that to have his child fulfill that goal.

Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Did I say SHIELD attacked the village? Where did I say that?

An agent of SHIELD took Skye and kept her hidden from both Hydra and her father.

You're using the comic book story where the show hasn't even fully revealed his goals. The show so far has Skye's father hating SHIELD because the agent took his daughter and Coulson is the father figure when it should have been him.

I'm basing my opinions on the show and nothing about the comics. Don't mix the two up.
  • The fathers just a hater yo.. ^_^
  • And he has every right to be so. I don't blame him. His daughter is stupid as hell.
  • I'm not reading the comic. I have read various wikia. So I'm guilty in that regard. And my mistake I thought you implied that SHIELD was responsible for Skyes village being destroyed. Don't get me wrong Skyes father is probably the most interesting character in the show. And he has a right to be pissed off. But it still doesn't give him a right to pull the shit he has done. Or expect Skye to forgive him and take him back as a father.
  • Marvel has always done a pretty good job of building villains are you can relate to and feel empathy for see Magneto, I mean that guy could be attempting to destroy the planet and you can still be like "Yea but Nazi's killed his Mother".
  • Cremlian said:

Marvel has always done a pretty good job of building villains are you can relate to and feel empathy for see Magneto, I mean that guy could be attempting to destroy the planet and you can still be like "Yea but Nazi's killed his Mother".

I don't really see that. No matter what Nazis or anyone did to him or his family I don't think it's cool to be like "my mutant race is superior to your stupid human race, thus I can do whatever I want."

• Magneto would be more sympathetic as a "complex man doing evil that he sincerely believe is good" if his team wasn't the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.
  • Apsup said:

Cremlian said:

Marvel has always done a pretty good job of building villains are you can relate to and feel empathy for see Magneto, I mean that guy could be attempting to destroy the planet and you can still be like "Yea but Nazi's killed his Mother".

I don't really see that. No matter what Nazis or anyone did to him or his family I don't think it's cool to be like "my mutant race is superior to your stupid human race, thus I can do whatever I want."

Should I have used the example "Oh hey guys Magneto built a mutant fortress in space and says all mutants are welcome and wants to live in peace, we should totally blow the crap out of that as soon as possible since he's a threat Oh we blew up his base and killed a bunch of his people and now he's super pissed and killing our people"
  • Cremlian said:

Apsup said:

Cremlian said:

Should I have used the example "Oh hey guys Magneto built a mutant fortress in space and says all mutants are welcome and wants to live in peace, we should totally blow the crap out of that as soon as possible since he's a threat Oh we blew up his base and killed a bunch of his people and now he's super pissed and killing our people"
    Oh, he's going to purposefully crash his space base into earth.
  • Rym said:

Magneto would be more sympathetic as a "complex man doing evil that he sincerely believe is good" if his team wasn't the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

That's pre-reformation Magneto :-p