This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071010 - The Walking Dead

RymRym
edited October 2007 in Manga/Comics
Tonight on GeekNights, we review The Walking Dead. In the news, Dark horse gives up on the monthlies, and ADV realigns.

Scott's Thing - Triumph
Rym's Thing - Richard Garriott

Comments

• jccjcc
    edited October 2007
    Judging by the complaints Rym gave and the things he applauded the comic for, I think maybe what he was looking for wasn't a zombie horror comic so much as a superhero comic set in a post-apocalyptic zombie world... One sane level-headed guy in a world of idiots and danger, who always does the right thing and skips all the tedious parts... sounds like classic underwear pervert to me. :)
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Dark horsegives up on the monthliesThat link's not working for me.
  • I have to politely disagree with the assessment of the military in 28 Days Later. For me that was one of the things that set it apart from other zombie films (or at least, others I've seen); a little mundane psychological horror mixed with the predominant paranormal flavor.
  • Rym's Thing -Richard Garriott

This link isn't working and I have no idea what you wanted it linked to.
    The zombie story is pretty unappealing, all the movies and any stories are pretty crap because they're always predictable and/or stupid.
    I don't know if you're open to suggestion or not but here are a few things I liked over the past year  - "The Losers", published by Vertigo, finite story and run.  "Black Summer" by Warren Ellis although this is still starting out and has the hero type thing but completely reversed however it's only 3 issues in so "Planetary" by Warren Ellis published via Wildstorm.
  • xenomouse, sK0pe, the working links are on the main page. Rym forgot to add the href's in this topic.
  • I don't know if you're open to suggestion or not but here are a few things I liked over the past year - "The Losers", published by Vertigo, finite story and run. "Black Summer" by Warren Ellis although this is still starting out and has the hero type thing but completely reversed however it's only 3 issues in so "Planetary" by Warren Ellis published via Wildstorm.
    Warren Ellis fan, I see. You should read his book "Fell" from Image. It's awesome.
  • edited October 2007

Rym's Thing -Richard Garriott

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2326-Zero-Punctuation-Tabula-Rasa
    For some reason it isn't letting me hyperlink it. I was actually going to post this in the thing of the day thread. The Zero Punctuation reviews are awesome! I can't say that I dislike any of them.
    Post edited by Usagimaru on
  • For some reason it isn't letting me hyperlink it. I was actually going to post this in the thing of the day thread. The Zero Punctuation reviews are awesome! I can't say that I dislike any of them.
    Put the comment format on BBCode or Html.
  • I bought monthly comic titles up until about two years ago. See, I remember when there were no trades. Collections were rare. If you wanted to read the continuing story, the monthly was your only choice. For many years, there were no comic stores either, so you didn't even have the option of just buying a lot of back issues.
    The one good thing about that time was that only Spiderman, Superman, and Batman had more than one monthly, and none of them were worth reading. If you read Uncanny X-Men, you had ALL the X-Men story. If you read Fantastic Four, you had ALL the Fantastic Four story, and so on.

I started noticing that some comics were regularly collecting themselves into trades about four years ago. Even then, it was hard to stop buying monthlies, because there was no promise that the collections would keep going. Also, I don't think every comic is collected into a trade. So I still buy monthly issues every now and then just to see what's happening. I think another thing that still appeals to comic people about the monthlies is that back issue trades aren't being valued as much as back issue, rare comics. That is, I don't see or hear of anyone trying to buy or sell a trade of Spiderman the way someone would try to buy or sell Amazing Fantasy # 15.

Another reason I haven't bought monthlies in a long time is those silly cross over events like 52, House of M, and Civil Wars. Those things have driven me further away from comics than I have been in years.

Here's a really great thing about the trades - many libraries carry them. I read the entire Sandman, Preacher, Hellblazer, Invincible, and Lucifer series from trades I borrowed from the library.
  • I was just ready some lucky guy found an old issue of Detective Comics 27 (first Batman) in his attic. Sold it for a fortune!
  • I bought monthly comic titles up until about two years ago. See, I remember when there were no trades. Collections were rare. If you wanted to read the continuing story, the monthly was your only choice. For many years, there were no comic stores either, so you didn't even have the option of just buying a lot of back issues.
    The one good thing about that time was that only Spiderman, Superman, and Batman had more than one monthly, and none of them were worth reading. If you readUncanny X-Men, you had ALL the X-Men story. If you readFantastic Four, you had ALL the Fantastic Four story, and so on.
    Two years ago? Two years ago? Listen, when I was buying comics as a kid in the early '90s there were like four X-Men books at least. That doesn't even count X-Force, X-Factor, etc.

Also, anyone who considers financial gains when buying comics is beyond stupid. Buying entertainment goods for the purposes of investment is possibly one of the worst economic decisions you could make. People buying comics to collect, as opposed to read, are what is killing comics.
  • Two years ago? Two years ago? Listen, when I was buying comics as a kid in the early '90s there were like four X-Men books at least. That doesn't even count X-Force, X-Factor, etc.

Also, anyone who considers financial gains when buying comics is beyond stupid. Buying entertainment goods for the purposes of investment is possibly one of the worst economic decisions you could make. People buying comics to collect, as opposed to read, are what is killing comics.
    Maybe I wasn't clear. I said that it didn't really begin to dawn on me that people were putting out whole collections in trades until about four years ago, and I kept buying the monthlies until about two years ago. When I said I got the entire X-Men story from Uncanny X-Men, I was talking about many years ago, like when Wolverine was a new character (yes, I've been reading comics that far back - and further even). As far as X-Force, I remember when it first came out people were saying that they didn't think another mutant book would sell.

Up until about four years ago, I thought of trades as being something a little more special than a simple collection of monthlies, mostly because I still had a kind of memory of graphic novels being special and rare, like The Death of Captain Marvel or New Mutants.

You might have a poor opinion of people collecting monthlies for value. I don't do it myself, but I know that many people do. I'm just saying I think that the people who do the collecting don't find the collection value to be as present in the trades.
  • When are you guys going to review Groo the Wanderer on comic night?
    I have heard of Groo. It's a comedic barbarian type guy, right? With the goofy art by the Sergio guy. I don't think Rym has ever heard of it. I don't think either of us has ever read it. Is it available in trade?
  • Please, if you're looking for another comic, read Lucifer.
    I have heard of Groo. It's a comedic barbarian type guy, right? With the goofy art by the Sergio guy. I don't think Rym has ever heard of it. I don't think either of us has ever read it. Is it available in trade?
    Yes there are trades out there. You can also find the Marvel/Epic ones for fairly cheap. I may have some trades in my collection.

There was also an insanely awesome card game put out that is impossible to find and often costs above $60 if you can find it used.
  • Rym's Thing -Richard GarriottOh man! I almost lost it during the "pleasing the audience" animation.
  • Regarding Yahtzee "Zero Punctiation" Croshaw

You should check out his other vids, his Bioshock one is rather good.
  • Rym and Scott asked about the underwear pervert releases in other countries. I can only offer my impression of the status in Norway as I am no longer a regular reader of such comics.

The Nordic countries are near the top of the list of comic reading countries, but because of low population it is still hard to sell enough to make it profitable, and comics tend to come and go. I believe Spiderman has been running almost continually since the late 60's or early 70's (I bought everything in the 80's). The major releases usually make their way over here, but lately I have only noticed Spiderman and X-Men.

The comics are customized for the Norwegian marked. They are translated to Norwegian, and nowadays the issues are usually 84 pages without ads, and contains two or three parallel stories from the different Marvel releases. Sometimes they run a series of a different underwear pervert as one of the stories. I guess they pick the best and most relevant stories and put them out on the Norwegian marked approximately a year after the American release. Spiderman has 10 issues a year and cost ~$7.40. Nerds can get the American releases fairly easy and rapidly if they want.
  • Just started listening to this podcast and have already ordered book 1. Sounds like it will totally be my type of story.

By the way, there have been some zombie movies based in prisons. I saw a couple, but they were total low budget crap.
  • So I've read the first book and I really like it. Any other recommendations on similar comics?
  • I've read the first four Walking Dead TPB's. I agree with the point that as the series goes on, the characters' interactions get much more irrational and eventually downright crazy. However, I think that's consistent with the world that the author created.

The characters are constantly being stalked by zombies; most of the people they start out with or eventually meet get killed, and they are consistently betraying each other out of fear, anger, lust, or survival. Up to the point I've read, most of the survivors have killed countless undead, and a significant portion of the survivors have killed living human beings.

The characters are psychologically degrading to the point where they are acting solely out of instinct - some more than others. See Freud's death instinct and compare that with the way Frank Grimes acts. He threatens to beat a convicted killer twice his size to death and confronts him unarmed and alone, giving him a chance to retaliate. He enrages a friend - who is in an emotionally unstable state and also twice his size - and incites him into beating him into unconsciousness.

So, yes, the characters are getting crazier and making dumber decisions, but in the context of the story, I think it makes perfect sense.
  • edited October 2009
    Walking Dead TV coming to AMCI'm not sure whether this is good or bad, based on the interview I have mixed feelings. TV shy's away form killing too many main characters and well Walking dead really only has maybe two main characters.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited October 2010
    I just finished the first episode of the AMC adaptation. I highly recommend it. There's gore, but it's television gore. Some people have complained Mad Men was a slow burn starting; this one was not. It jumps right into some very dark territory and rarely lets up. I've not read the comic, but the show certainly has character depth in spades already, and I feel compelled to find out what happens. I'm curious to know how much of a threat Lambert's zombie wife might prove to be in the future, whether Shane was tapping Rick's wife even before Rick got shot, how Rick will get out of that tank, how long it will take these zombies to decompose (usually only a couple of months for dead humans exposed to air), and whether the character listed on IMDB as "tank zombie" is the zombie we already saw in the tank, or something more Left 4 Dead-ish.

It occurs to me: Why are there no zombie horses, dogs, or cats?
    Post edited by Jason on

• It occurs to me: Why are there no zombie horses, dogs, or cats?
    Because, the virus might only infect humans, chickens and pigs :P
  • I got the first compendium for my birthday and just finished it last night. Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, what a way to end the first compendium.
  • I read volumes 12 and 13 recently, and it's still good, so you've got a lot of quality reading waiting for you when you get your hands on it. I know I've been really down on the TV show, but it's still a great show compared to the rest of TV. The reason I've taken this negative attitude towards it is that after episode 5 aired I did go and catch up on the books, and it reminded me of how damn good they are.

Coupled with a letdown finale, it really soured me on the direction the show was going in. Is TV-version Shane's slow descent into craziness making him more understandable, and diluting his impact versus fast crazy spiral shane? Also, knowing the science behind the zombies kinda kills the whole farmhouse plot, which was pretty awesome.