This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

R.I.P. Internet Explorer

After two decades, Microsoft is pulling the plug on its browser.

Comments

• Of course, like XP, it'll live on another decade inside enterprises.
  • And old people's computers.
  • I have access to a Windows 10 machine at University, the new browser has a light load and comfortable interface to use.
    I didn't check for any extensions on it but it is likely to have them considering IE did.
    I might consider using it as a backup for Chrome if I can get a good ad blocker on it.
  • Why would you ever use not Firefox or not Chrome? Unless it's a work computer you have no control over or something, and then you get USB Firefox and use that anyway.
  • Starfox said:

Why would you ever use not Firefox or not Chrome? Unless it's a work computer you have no control over or something, and then you get USB Firefox and use that anyway.

I am just considering it at the moment, I haven't used anything but Chrome on every machine for more than 5 years.
    If I never try new software how do I know if it is better or worse than what I am trying? :)
  • I thought they said that IE will actually be available in 10, it's just not the primary browser anymore.
  • Lets be honest here, it's not like IE is actually dying, they're just rebranding.
  • Lets be honest here, it's not like IE is actually dying, they're just rebranding.

Yes, they have a web browser with a different name. But from what I understand, could be wrong, it's all completely new code. As in, it's not just the next version of IE. It's actually a new browser.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartan_(browser)

Not just a rebranding, however I don't imagine the new browser to be anywhere near as good as Chrome.

Too little too late?
  • What was the point behind the browser war? Has anyone ever paid money for a web browser?
  • Was there a war?
  • edited March 2015
    Might have been before your time. It was at least twenty years ago.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Well browsers developers also used to operate as ISPs didn't they?
  • The point of having your browser on top is to have significant leverage over the direction of web standards.
  • 2bfree said:

The point of having your browser on top is to have significant leverage over the direction of web standards.

I guess, but people levitate towards the best browsers. Those also are usually the best to develop for. MS just gets away with it because old people buy Windows and use whatever came on the machine, namely IE. There are also a stupid amount of companies that operate on closed networks and don't ever connect to the internet or bother to have anyone install necessary software on their machines. That's how you get fucking idiots trying to use your products on IE 8 and confused why it's all jenky when compared to newer browsers.
  • edited March 2015
    The reason you want people to use your free browser is so you can dictate what technologies are used on the web.

For example. Google has web servers. They really want them to use less bandwidth and be faster and such. To do this they really would like to replace HTTP with something better. Even though they could just implement something on their servers, they need all the browsers to also support it.

Why would Microsoft, Apple, Opera, etc. change their browsers to help Google? They won't. But Google was able to make Chrome very popular and put SPDY into Chrome as an alternative to HTTP.

Because Chrome is popular enough, people with web servers also started using SPDY to take advantage of that.

And now HTTP 2.0 seems to be very very similar to SPDY. That is because Google was able to influence the decision making behind HTTP 2.0 thanks to the popularity of Chrome. Now all the other browsers are going to have to support it as well.

Imagine an alternate world where IE won the browser war and had a near-complete monopoly. Even if IE was still free, you would need Visual Studio to make web sites. You would code in C# instead of JavaScript. You would have WebDirectX instead of WebGL.

I think that's enough examples.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited March 2015
    In any case, from the competition has emerged great technology that we enjoy today. 'Hear, hear'

Where I'd be today without Chrome adblock, onetab...
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Competition is good. Lack of competition leads to modern day Nascar.
  • Apreche said:

Lets be honest here, it's not like IE is actually dying, they're just rebranding.

Yes, they have a web browser with a different name. But from what I understand, could be wrong, it's all completely new code. As in, it's not just the next version of IE. It's actually a new browser.
    OK, but will it actually render HTML like everyone else? Cause if not, new code be damned, it's just the new version of IE.
  • Apreche said:

Lets be honest here, it's not like IE is actually dying, they're just rebranding.

OK, but will it actually render HTML like everyone else? Cause if not, new code be damned, it's just the new version of IE.
    I read somewhere that it's going to be WebKit.
  • edited March 2015
    I've heard good murmurings about its es6 support, but I guess we'll see when it comes out and we can play around with its dev tools.

That being said, I'd bet money that it won't be as extensible as Chrome or Firefox, and that's a big deal for my personal browser use.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I read something about how since Chrome and Firefox are open source, they get a lot of contributions from the industry that help them out. For example, a lot of Adobe employees contribute to those browsers to help improve font rendering among other things. Microsoft's new browser isn't open source to the public, however they have a special program setup to allow certain companies, like Adobe, to contribute. That should definitely improve things a bit.
  • Microsoft is definitely pushing their stuff in a "we're not as evil as you think" fashion due to a CEO who understand the current tech industry. See the difference in software and accessible Microsoft written software has become since Saya Nadella came into power vs Steve Balmer.
    I now pay for an Office subscription, have a Onedrive presence, have multiple Microsoft apps on an Android platforms, he's also changing the approach of Microsoft to the operating system.

Also we've been trying to see how little RAM we can use and still run Windows 10 on the test machine. So far it is stable at 2gb of RAM but if you want to play something like Counterstrike GO with Chrome running in the background you have to bump it to 4gb.
  • sK0pe said:

Also we've been trying to see how little RAM we can use and still run Windows 10 on the test machine. So far it is stable at 2gb of RAM but if you want to play something like Counterstrike GO with Chrome running in the background you have to bump it to 4gb.

Who the hell still uses 2GB anymore? Go 64-bit or go home.
  • Daikun said:

sK0pe said:

It is a 64 bit install.
  • Daikun said:

Who the hell still uses 2GB anymore?

Alan Jones, last I heard.

• sK0pe said:

Daikun said:

sK0pe said:

It is a 64 bit install.
    Don't you need at least 4GB for that, though?
  • edited March 2015
    A 64 bit OS of any flavor doesn't require a certain amount of RAM, I mean, it needs some amount of memory to even start, but it's not something like "it's 64 bit so it needs at least 4 GB". It's mostly about how much it needs to be stable and reasonably proficient, which has to do with how its written, not with being 64 bit. If there's not enough RAM the OS will should start paging.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • 32-bit systems can't address MORE than 4 gigs of memory, maybe that's what you were thinking of.
  • edited March 2015
    Besides, 640K ought to be enough for anybody.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on