This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• I agree that Watchmen is the greatest comic, but a close second is Jeff Smith's Bone. It is an epic story that has everything you could want: fantastic characters, humor, great villains, amazing art, and wonderful writing. It is so good it appeals to everyone: from someone who never reads any comics bigger than the ones they find in the newspaper to the hardcore comic geeks.

To be fair, Bone didn't do that much for me, even when I read it as a kid.

• Of all the free summer comics I tried last year on comixology, Bone stood out as one of the best. Easily. Then again, there was a LOT of crap in the free selection.
  • Of all the free summer comics I tried last year on comixology, Bone stood out as one of the best. Easily. Then again, there was a LOT of crap in the free selection.

Most everything you're getting free is trash I agree.

I have the entire one volume edition of Bone and am a fan of Jeff Smith's work however I would struggle to categorise the title as important as Watchmen.
    My personal opinion would lean towards titles such as Batman: Year One,Preacher, Dark Knight and Sin City.

However there are many other comics I like which are kind of important but also fit into the category of personal favourites.
  • Finally finished Locke & Key. I think I like it more than Y, The Last Man.

I would to see this as a show.
  • Rochelle said:

Finally finished Locke & Key. I think I like it more than Y, The Last Man.

I would to see this as a show.

I agree, I think the story had more going on in less pages. Also Y:The Last Man was written in an episodic nature which breaks the story awkwardly when compared to Locke and Key.
  • I still need to check out Locke & Key. That and Morning Glories.
  • Just a heads up. Jeff Lemire is now writing the All-New Hawkeye series for Marvel. First issue was pretty good, let's see how it develops.
  • chaosof99 said:

Just a heads up. Jeff Lemire is now writing the All-New Hawkeye series for Marvel. First issue was pretty good, let's see how it develops.

Not a fan of his non indie stuff however if you're already a Hawkeye reader it will likely be explored in an interesting manner.
  • Sentences
    Is a great autobiography by MF Grimm. The artist he teamed up with has an amazing art style that becomes incredibly fluid during high action scenes while at the same time is able to retain completely different facial properties for each characters.
    The author is humble and understands that a lot of stuff he did in his life was incorrect and many of the problems that he encountered were due to his own choices.
    I was amazed that this guy made it through so much of his life and succeeded to the extent that he has after being paralysed at such an early age. A hip hop MC with a penchant for ending up in shoot outs and selling drugs is not where you would imagine someone in a wheel chair but this guy did it.

I was disappointed that there were more things he didn't reveal however I imagine he would be incriminating himself and others if he did.

My favourite portion of the scene was in his early life when his mother is depicted beating up a guy that pinched his sister.
  • Rochelle said:

I saw this at the local comic shop: Rust: Visitor in the Field. It's released by Archaia and just from a quick glance of the art and reading a description, I'm going to say that I will probably be buying this and saying it's a good read. (post from December 2011)

Well it only took me 4 years to finally read volume 1 of Rust. As always, Archaia never disappoints with the titles they release. I like how so much of a story can be told with minimal text and speech, but with panels of actions and expressions.

Volume 2 is up next. Volume 3 is in the mail. Highly recommend.
  • I bought the hardcover first book of Saga having never actually finished my totally 100% legal for real digital copy of the first issue. Goddamn it was worth it.
  • I Kill Giants. Wow, all the feels. Amazing book that I recommend to everyone. I was tearing up by the end.
  • I Kill Giants. Wow, all the feels. Amazing book that I recommend to everyone. I was tearing up by the end.

Agreed, I read it a while ago but I did enjoy it in that it provoked emotion.
  • Went to Prague for a Magic tournament this weekend. On the train I read "Alias". I heard the series was good before and I read it in anticipation of the "A.K.A. Jessica Jones" Netflix series. The series was really good and I can see why it won a Harvey and was nominated for two Eisners. The tone, subject matter and art both reminded me a lot of Gotham Central, which came out around the same time, and it's definitely not a bad thing.

Two things annoyed me though: the series occasionally seems to go out of its way just to be crass in order to justify the Marvel MAX branding it has, a tendency of the MAX series I've read; and the artist reuses panels and often leaves a lot of the page blank. The later works fine I guess, but the former is just annoying.

Anyway, I definitely recommend the series. Not sure how it will fit into the MCU but I guess there will be some stuff taken from it. Favorite issue was #10 in which J. Jonah Jameson wants to hire her to find out who Spider-man is. That issue alone is worth reading if nothing else.
  • chaosof99 said:

Went to Prague for a Magic tournament this weekend. On the train I read "Alias".
    Two things annoyed me though: the series occasionally seems to go out of its way just to be crass in order to justify the Marvel MAX branding it has, a tendency of the MAX series I've read; and the artist reuses panels and often leaves a lot of the page blank. The later works fine I guess, but the former is just annoying.

That's just Brian Michael Bendis's way of writing, if you read any Powers, some of his Daredevil run and especially Jinx (which has an incredibly similar protagonist in it) he likes to use swear words just for emphasis and particularly likes repeating frames when doing conversations.

I felt as if the Jessica Jones character got messed up by being moved completely into full blown super hero / Avengers area.

• That last page of Saga #28. THE BEST.
  • Watching the Avengers this weekend got me in the mood to check out some more Hulk. I never really read anything before with the character. Anyone have any recommendations on a compilation/graphic novel to check out?
  • MATATAT said:

Watching the Avengers this weekend got me in the mood to check out some more Hulk. I never really read anything before with the character. Anyone have any recommendations on a compilation/graphic novel to check out?

The definitive Hulk, IMHO, is written by Peter David. He wrote it for about 12 years. I think his first issue was #331. They have these visionaries volumes you can get.

http://amzn.to/1Agvp6p

Also, if you want to start at the very beginning, that's very easy and cost effective to do in black and white

http://amzn.to/1L1Q1ji

More expensive in color

http://amzn.to/1ebqpqa

The most recent Hulk story I've heard good things about is Planet Hulk, but it's really weird nerdy shit about the Hulk going into space and shit.

http://amzn.to/1GjGWDn
  • Awesome thanks, I'll check these out.
  • Yea the aftermath of Planet Hulk is pretty funny with Hulk going around beating the crap out of everyone who sent him into space :-p
  • Reading Y: The Last Man. 75% done with the whole series, and I feel like it hasn't aged well. It's good, don't get me wrong, but this thing had a lot of hype.
  • Matt said:

Reading Y: The Last Man. 75% done with the whole series, and I feel like it hasn't aged well. It's good, don't get me wrong, but this thing had a lot of hype.

Before Saga existed.
  • Yeah, Saga and Hawkeye are the only two currently-published books I'm reading.

Well, maybe Walking Dead counts as well, now that I'm just about current on it. I had quit, but there was so much downtime during the X-Wing regional at a big comic shop that I read the last two trades off the shelf.
  • Matt said:

Yeah, Saga and Hawkeye are the only two currently-published books I'm reading.

Well, maybe Walking Dead counts as well, now that I'm just about current on it. I had quit, but there was so much downtime during the X-Wing regional at a big comic shop that I read the last two trades off the shelf.

Add Descender to your list. The first trade will be out later this year.

• That art sure does look interesting. Consider it added to the list. I'm very, very close to having bled my beloved local library dry of good graphic novels. Gonna have to start paying for some comics again.
  • Saga 29! Oh mans. Remember when you saw a giant's testicles, Sextillion, or a girl farting out a universe? You thought they couldn't possibly draw anything else even crazier.. yeah.
  • Matt said:

Reading Y: The Last Man. 75% done with the whole series, and I feel like it hasn't aged well. It's good, don't get me wrong, but this thing had a lot of hype.

Yeah I reread it earlier this year and thought it was quite poor. Vaughn's other books have aged pretty well however I haven't read Ex Machina in a while.
  • So having to take the bus to work now I've been picking up more comics to read. I got:

- Archie vs Predator: kinda funny, but kinda dumb
    - Arcadia: Seems pretty interesting so far, but basically Matrix

Ones I haven't read so far:

- New Tank Girl: I dunno much about Tank Girl but I like Jamie Hewlett's art a lot so I figured I'd check it out.
    - Nonplayer: Has some cool art
    - Airboy: Got some good reviews
    - Harrow County: Everyone seems to be all over this thing so I figured I'd give it a read.
  • I'm looking to get someone a Batman anthology as a present but don't know much about Batman history. I'm looking for something big, fancy, and hardcover. Thoughts?