This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fuck Police

Comments

• edited April 2015
    http://www.wafb.com/story/28931107/mother-19-year-old-shot-4-times-by-deputies-during-welfare-check

I'm gonna buck the bandwagon and say this was just an almost tragic comedy of errors.
    Guy sends a picture of a gun and threats to hurt himself to his girlfriend.
    Police go out to his residence for a welfare check at 2AM, and for whatever reason don't have their lights on or identify themselves.
    Guy thinks there's intruders on his lawn, and goes out to confront them with a shotgun.
    All the police know is that this guy is slightly unhinged and has made previous threats, so when he walks out (allegedly) brandishing the weapon they open fire on him.
    Guy wakes up in hospital, having been struck "several" times by bullets.

Now the story is very, very new, so details are sketchy at best. One side or the other could be lying (and Reddit is split between the usual "fuck the police" crowd and people thinking the mother might be trying to jump on the "fuck the police" bandwagon), but there's a lot of things everyone involved could have done differently.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/apr/15/addicting-information/liberal-blog-us-cops-killed-more-people-one-month-/
    Let be real during the Time of Troubles in the UK there was probably more than 52 people killed by police in UK... :-p
  • Cremlian said:

politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/apr/15/addicting-information/liberal-blog-us-cops-killed-more-people-one-month-/
    Let be real during the Time of Troubles in the UK there was probably more than 52 people killed by police in UK... :-p

Do you mean the Russian Time of Troubles or the Forgotten Realms Time of Troubles?
  • sK0pe said:

I thought The Wire was fictional and based on Baltimore in the 1980s.
    I have been corrected, you still have to dress like Omar to get around in 2015.

• Apreche said:

Do you mean the Russian Time of Troubles or the Forgotten Realms Time of Troubles?

I'm talking about North Ireland but I was hoping you would refer to Forgotten Realms :-p
  • sK0pe said:

There was an Omar IRL. Know the scene he jumped out of the apartment building? Real Omar was 2 floors higher.
  • edited April 2015
    How could you think The Wire took place in the 80s? The entire premise of the first season was around burner cell phones and wiretaps.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Dazzle369 said:

Apreche said:

FUCK!

Let's remember that Britain has a completely separate culture from America, one where the police are seen as helpful and mostly benign pillars of their communities.
  • There's a reason the cops just fucking light you up you in GTA.
  • We're a special kind of crazy over here.
  • Although there was a GTA London game now that I think about it...
  • Cremlian said:

politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/apr/15/addicting-information/liberal-blog-us-cops-killed-more-people-one-month-/

Ah but that wasn't the UK police it was the Irish paramilitaries and the army, not the actual police handy loop hole there. But on the whole it cracks me up when people over here talk about police oppression yet fail to see how good we have it.
    MATATAT said:

Although there was a GTA London game now that I think about it...

Basically Lock Stock the game, was pretty whopper.
  • Andrew said:

How could you think The Wire took place in the 80s? The entire premise of the first season was around burner cell phones and wiretaps.

I know it was set in the 90s but the stories were sourced and imagined from the 80's by David Simon when he was reporting on crime.
    Starfox said:

sK0pe said:

There was an Omar IRL. Know the scene he jumped out of the apartment building? Real Omar was 2 floors higher.
    I didn't know that it was that high of a drop. I was jesting about it being completely fictional as you obviously get to see the real Avon Barksdale in the show.

I'm waiting to get the HD version of it so I can watch it a fifth time.
  • They are bringing homicide charges against six of the BPD officers in relation to Freddie Gray.
  • Andrew said:

They are bringing homicide charges against six of the BPD officers in relation to Freddie Gray.

Ok, let's take bets.

1) Old white people jury votes not guilty. Riots re-ignite. 2-1 odds
    2) Guilty or plea bargain with ridiculously light sentence. Riots re-ignite. 3-1 odds
    3) Some other shenanigans, or corruption. Riots re-ignite 3-1 odds
    4) Actually guilty and appropriate sentence. 25-1 odds
  • Apreche said:

Andrew said:

They are bringing homicide charges against six of the BPD officers in relation to Freddie Gray.

Ok, let's take bets.

2) Guilty or plea bargain with ridiculously light sentence. Riots re-ignite. 3-1 odds
    In order to make a fair wager, the outcome needs to be in doubt.
  • Six police officers charged in homicide of Freddie Gray in Baltimore http://circanews.com/s/g2KB

News article for those interested and don't want to google.
  • Obama administration to provide $20 million in grants for police body cameras http://circanews.com/s/I3BB

Seems like good news, though there probably needs to be a public discussion of rules regarding disclosure and what video and how much must be saved and for how long.

By disclosure I mean the public being able to request copies. I don't need everyone in the world to know that I had been pulled over on a traffic stop.
  • You being pulled over on a traffic stop is public information subject to a FOIA request anyway.
  • I didn't know that. I'd prefer to err on the side of privacy in future policy and video footage is different from a filed report.

I just think there should be a discussion of how the data is to be used and saved. I'm sure the NSA would like it all stored in perpetuity.
  • Apreche said:

Andrew said:

Ok, let's take bets.

I'm betting on 2 but I think what could happen is that the court proceedings will be excessively long and allow for the situation to dissipate enough that when the light sentence is handed down they hope that people have forgotten about the event.
    Effectively allowing median level racism as ok in the USA.

• edited May 2015
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2015/05/sheriff_allegedly_shoots_real.html

Fuck that guy, and the people who elected him despite the corruption charges.
  • edited May 2015
    http://www.ktul.com/story/28987833/dui-arrest-sparks-controversy
    Cop proceeds with DUI arrest of influential business leader despite being told by no less than the police commissioner and city planner to let the man go. Now he's facing threats to his job for simply performing it.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on