This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steven Universe (and general Cartoon Network chat)

Comments

• Maybe it's not as criminal in Delmarva.

I hope.
  • That's only 100 potential combinations excluding area codes.
  • I think the show is smartly written and is probably better than any cartoon I watched as a kid and most that I've watched since, but it still really annoys me. I think it's overly melodramatic more than half the time, and the cliches are flying.

I think the cliches might bother me mostly BECAUSE the rest is smart, though. I dunno. I have love/hate relationship with this show that I can't figure out.
  • I let the cliche bits flow past because original or not, what's there to see is good and it all mostly fits as a cohesive whole.

And when it comes from left field, oh yeah.

Also, got to 100% on Attack the Light. Wish there was something to follow it up with. Like a Beach City exploration game
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOokay that's reasonable, especially considering the tight schedule they have been on for so long.
  • Okay, well, now I have to choose:
    1. Jump to reviewing another show (MLP, mayhaps)
    2. Go back over OLD episodes of SU that aired before I started my show.
    3. Re dedicate SUU time to Behind the Screen
    4. Chillax.
  • Hulu just got a bunch of Cartoon Network shows.
  • Start watching Star Wars Rebels, because it's sick as hell.
  • Churba said:

Start watching Star Wars Rebels, because it's sick as hell.

This is a correct opinion to have.
  • Or maybe you can try Harvey Beaks, which I started a thread for and I feel deserves more love (the show, not necessarily the thread).
  • Watched the first episode and it's super cute, but not really my jam analysis-wise.
  • Star Vs. The Forces of Evil is a super fun new show too. Takes a more direct approach mocking the Mary Sue/Magical Girl genre, but I really dig the characters and style. Not sure if it's fit for analysis...yet.

You should go over some of the older episode to look at their context when their aired versus now. You have a pretty huge backlog starting from starting at Winter Forecast.
  • There is indeed quite a backlog to fill, and you could organize it into groups of thematically similar or resonant episodes.
  • Not sure when the next Adventure Time break is, but you could do Adventure Time Time.
  • I think this week I'm gonna do an episode that's a condensed version of the sound design lecture that I give at conventions. Gonna highlight stuff like lietmotifs, diegesis, and other stuff.
  • edited May 2015
    Been binge watching this, and just finished Steven and the Stevens.
    That got dark really fast.
    The sword fighting episode was pretty great too, and I agree about the Utena nods.
    I'm constantly surprised at how quick and subtle the revelations are of the deeper and sadder plot of the show. It's always hinted at and just beneath the surface.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Oh, Adam... Dear, sweet Adam...
    YOU HAVE NOT YET BEGUN.
  • edited May 2015

Oh, Adam... Dear, sweet Adam...
    YOU HAVE NOT YET BEGUN.

Oh, he has begun. That's why he is known as a beginner. One who begins. Not to be confused with one who begets or begats.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2015
    Mirror gem, lapis, no faith in the planet....
    I figured the damaged gem thing early on, but shit is getting real.
    Edit: Also, how intimate did Lars and Deb (the other employee, I forget her name) get during their evening of games? It's suggested, but some of her reactions to him later in the show suggest it is not as serious as it was hinted at when is first revealed.
  • Warp Master answered that question a little bit for be.
  • The voice actress for Sadie is a singer/songwriter. *crosses fingers*
  • The voice actress for Sadie is a singer/songwriter. *crosses fingers*

That's half the cast. Garnet, Pearl, Opal, Sugalite, Rose, Lapis Lazuli, Stevonnie; I'd even include Harold Smiley!

• edited May 2015
    I'm up to Stevonnie and Peridot.
    I'm speculating in on what the crystal gems ate not telling Steven, because it's surely no good. I also liked how it was hard to tell if Steven and Connie were happy or disturbed by their adventure as a fused being. How even is?!
    Also, anyone else think that the VHS episode was close to the Cowboy Bebop VHS episode?
    Also, I am nursing a healthy dislike for Raynaldo.
  • edited May 2015

Edit: Also, how intimate did Lars and Deb (the other employee, I forget her name) get during their evening of games? It's suggested, but some of her reactions to him later in the show suggest it is not as serious as it was hinted at when is first revealed.

Her name is Sadie. Her mom is a postwoman named Barb. And I'm 90% sure Sadie and Lars toooooootally banged.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on

• Also, anyone else think that the VHS episode was close to the Cowboy Bebop VHS episode?

Go look at what Victor said on page 3
  • edited May 2015

Her name is Sadie. Her mom is a postwoman named Barb. And I'm 90% sure Sadie and Lars toooooootally banged.
    My only reservation on this is that Sadie made a big deal about Lars kissing her on the mouth during the Island Adventure episode. I think she and Lars got to second base or something, but I could be utterly wrong.
  • I think the big deal about the kiss was just the case of her excitement over the rekindling of what was, at the point, a one time romantic moment.