This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fuck Police

Comments

• http://www.ktul.com/story/28987833/dui-arrest-sparks-controversy
    Cop proceeds with DUI arrest of influential business leader despite being told by no less than the police commissioner and city planner to let the man go. Now he's facing threats to his job for simply performing it.

I was going to post this. Serves as a good example that the corruption is not low level but spread throughout.
  • Its not just a few bad eggs. The whole clutch is rotten except for a few who will likely either spoil eventually, or get stepped on.
  • edited May 2015
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Also, even if you're innocent, if the police tell you to drop your gun, DROP YOUR FUCKING GUN.
  • edited May 2015
    Kidnapped lady's family has to go save her. Police weren't moving fast enough.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Whats the saying? "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."
  • Whats the saying? "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

Police response time: 10 minutes
    .357 response time: 1/10 second
  • MATATAT said:

I thought it looked old/familiar: "Posted: 11/11/2013 11:34 am EST"
  • Photographer was a dick, but are we praising cops for just not beating people up, now?
  • MATATAT said:

I thought it looked old/familiar: "Posted: 11/11/2013 11:34 am EST"
    Looking back at it, there was a news source that reported just yesterday on it. Doesn't seem like they added any information on it weirdly enough. But it was some lame source, so I read one of the related items that was a bit more reputable. I didn't think to check the date on the second source, my bad.
  • muppet said:

Photographer was a dick, but are we praising cops for just not beating people up, now?

That's a big step forward for cops these days...

• https://youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

Even if we assume that the complaints are unreported or the substantiated rate should be higher it's clear to me that our perception does not match reality.

Much as the FBI has been saying that crime is down in almost all areas, that we're at levels not seen since the 1950's, you wouldn't know that with what we see today on twitter, TV, the internet.

I've seen pictures from New Jersey in the 1970's that look like Beirut during the civil war, it was much more dangerous then, but it's easy for me to go online and on youtube and watch video after video of people being victimized, beat up or assaulted. Is it more dangerous out there, no... The same with bad cops, I can get online and look at video after video, but does that reflect reality? No.
  • AaronC said:
    There's so much bullshit in that video it's sad until you realise who made it.
    So the first 1 minute is trying to confuse the watcher into thinking that a police officer deals with 84 people a year and that this contact is overwhelming.
    The number 26000 is used as the number of complaints but then taken as a percentage of 630,000 interactions of which there are 13 types. Only 1/13 of these are arrests and the weights of each are not divulged.
    For some reason the video starts talking about 630,000 as if it is millions rather than 630,000.
    Only 8% of complaints were sustained and investigated - because you need money and time and the system is fucked.
    Then the video goes on to talk about how many rapes, murders and crashes happen.

All this leaves the viewer with is that the police don't stop all these rapes, are possibly rapists, don't stop the murders or are not present at motor vehicle accidents to save people from dying. Plus on top of not stopping these things they are adding to violence by causing 26000 reported abuse cases.

Get that bullshit video out of here.

• No, thanks anyway, I'm going to stay.

Rape isn't going to be stopped by the Police, it will be stopped by education and a change in culture. Murder won't be stopped by the Police, many many factors must change for our murder rate to drop in the USA. The Police won't stop people being killed in motor vehicle accidents until people stop driving like idiots.

If you think about what it would take to have the Police for a moment you'd realize that we would be living in a Police state with a motorcycle cop at every intersection, in every bedroom and every house.

I think the point of the video is quite clear, cases of Police abuse happen, they don't happen nearly as much or are as common as you would think (from the exposure we get on the internet and our media sources.)

• AaronC said:

I think the point of the video is quite clear, cases of Police abuse happen, they don't happen nearly as much or are as common as you would think (from the exposure we get on the internet and our media sources.)

Nearly as common as what? They shouldn't happen whatsoever. Every other job will fire you if you're an ass hole. As a police officer there are multiple layers of covering or denying reports of poor practices unless they are recorded at which point they are recorded.
    If the message was so awesome and basic why misuse statistics and numbers?
  • AaronC said:

The video's point is so brain-meltingly stupid I can hardly believe it. It's just a big appeal to the innumeracy of people.

If I told you that only 0.0005% of the population were killed by police every year, that sounds tiny, a mere five-ten-thousandth of a percent! But that's the rate that the Pinochet's Junta murdered dissidents, and while the videos arguments are edging towards fascist boot-licking, I doubt the spineless little moron who put it together would have the guts to apply his own reasoning to argue military dictatorships aren't as bad as the media portrays them.
  • Well Mussolini made the trains run on time.
  • Well Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Except he didn't. ;^)

http://www.snopes.com/history/govern/trains.asp
  • Rym said:

Well Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Except he didn't. ;^)

http://www.snopes.com/history/govern/trains.asp
    Now Hitler had good trains, need to bone up on your fascist train systems.
  • Well with trains like this, who would argue?
  • Well if its artillery trains you want to look at then check out WW1 or the Boar wars. Now they were hot nanners for putting massive guns on steam trains.
  • I'm gonna start telling people my hobby is studying fascist train schedules.
  • It can get depressing quite quickly. The botanical stuff is alright but most public transport had a seedy undertone.

Oh I should add that the above pic is of a WW1 railway gun that was brought out for use in Russia I want to say, during WW2.
  • Don't forget the great documentary, Snowpiercer.
  • Starfox said:

Well with trains like this, who would argue?

• edited May 2015
    Hogan funds pensions, but nothing more for schools

State approves $30 million youth jail

So I guess, just move the teachers into jail with the students too
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • I was hoping it was Hulk Hogan.