This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Ad Blocking

Tonight on GeekNights, from host file to adblock, we discuss the technology of ad blocking. European telecoms are considering blocking ads on mobile networks (in an egregious and bad-faith violation of basic network neutrality). A drug dealer was caught in a particularly interesting way. Windows 10 isn't a free upgrade for pirates. Slashdot's community has gotten increasingly conservative and regressive.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• I use AdAway on Android and it still uses the hosts file method. You need to be rooted but I haven't had any problems with it. It even seems to work on the ads on Crunchyroll, although for some reason I have to click back during the point where the ad would be, but there's no waiting. And on the desktop ublock seems to block all the Crunchyroll video ads as well.
  • edited May 2015
    "If you need an airplane to get there, I would not go." -Scott

...I am taking an airplane to CTCon. Meh, probably better than Anime Expo anyways.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Only convention you should fly to in my opinion is MAGfest, since I'm not sure where you can get a similar experience.

And before you say PAX, since there are now three in three different parts that while the crowds might be different and layout they fundamentally have generally the same stuff they are not worth flying to.

*of the conventions I'm familiar with, I'm sure there is some other convention I'm not familiar with that's totally worth it.
  • edited May 2015
    Cremlian said:

Only convention you should fly to in my opinion is MAGfest, since I'm not sure where you can get a similar experience.

Well, there's always...
    Cremlian said:

And before you say PAX, since there are now three in three different parts that while the crowds might be different and layout they fundamentally have generally the same stuff they are not worth flying to.

Well we're not taking you out for parmos in Melbourne then.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I would fly to PAX Prime rather than go to PAX East if I were to choose.
  • Another example of Europe being generally afraid of and specifically targeting US-based companies' practices on the Internet.

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=18395

• I don't think it's unjustified to be leery of private corporations collecting quite so much data on everyone who happens to have an account with them (and even in some cases those who don't.) I don't think it's reasonable to expect every internet user to maintain a comprehensive and constantly updated blocking/filtering solution if they don't want some server at Facebook Inc (or Google, or Microsoft, etc) to contain some significant portion of their complete internet activity.

That said, I don't have any problem with a total pantopticon society if all of the data is open to everyone. I do have a big problem with it if it's accessible mostly by the privileged (properly positioned to collect/see it, wealthy enough to buy it, etc.) There's plenty of reasons to be concerned about a lack of symmetry in tracking, gathering, and access to people's demographics, day to day activities, etc.
  • Bing street view is a thing that exists
  • Yes, but Europe always takes it to derp level, goes after the wrong targets, generally pushes for increased surveillance by the governments while fighting private data gathering, and squarely targets US companies over European ones for these initiatives.

Europe is also the place that decided every web site needs a HUGE legally required warning that they use "cookie technology."
  • I can't disagree with anything you just said. Absolutely right.
  • Churba said:

Not saying it's not worth to go to somewhere to visit:-p Would love to go to AUS. Just not going to go just for PAX AUS.
  • Cremlian said:

Churba said:

Not saying it's not worth to go to somewhere to visit:-p Would love to go to AUS. Just not going to go just for PAX AUS. I'd say it's worth it at least once or twice, you make a bit of a holiday out of it, go do other stuff as well as PAX. After that, dunno. I like melbourne, I suppose.

• Dazzle369 said:

Bing street view is a thing that exists

They've had that for a long time. When Google Maps borked themselves for a while (and eventually fixed) when the new version came out, I gave Bing Maps a try. It doesn't cover as many streets, but it has a neat feature that Google doesn't have: Bird's eye view.
  • Satellite view not down to earth enough for ya?
  • Satellite view is a strictly top-down perspective. Bird's eye view is slightly tilted so you can get a better look at buildings and landmarks.
  • You can tilt the camera on Google maps, or is that Google Earth?

Pretty sure Google has tilt.

Google is still way ahead in streetview acquisition, not to mention interiors and building geometry.

Even if Bing matches Google in quality of service, they're still behind. If they're only ever catching up to what Google does, why duplicate efforts.

What has Microsoft gained with Bing, really?
  • Churba said:

Cremlian said:

Churba said:

Not saying it's not worth to go to somewhere to visit:-p Would love to go to AUS. Just not going to go just for PAX AUS.
    I'd say it's worth it at least once or twice, you make a bit of a holiday out of it, go do other stuff as well as PAX. After that, dunno. I like melbourne, I suppose.

The big bonus is if you want to meet the Australian branch of the forums in real life otherwise the draw cards to Melbourne are minimal compared to natural attractions or tourist activities. Holidays and the memories I take from them are based upon the social and culinary experiences rather than any tourist activities. (Unless I'm counting working at Singapore Zoo which was fucking awesome and didn't feel like work except for when I had to prepare the Macaque's rice balls in the mornings).
  • edited May 2015
    sK0pe said:

The big bonus is if you want to meet the Australian branch of the forums in real life otherwise the draw cards to Melbourne are minimal compared to natural attractions or tourist activities. Holidays and the memories I take from them are based upon the social and culinary experiences rather than any tourist activities. (Unless I'm counting working at Singapore Zoo which was fucking awesome and didn't feel like work except for when I had to prepare the Macaque's rice balls in the mornings).

For reals, the Australian branch is 100% ace. You think I'm chill? I'm like bottom tier, you need to meet the rest of the gang.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I've notced that since I've started using adblock, when I try to download something on a non adblock PC I can no longer tell just by looking which of the 15 download buttons is the real one.
  • I'd like it if adblock was updated to block those annoying survey requests. Yeah, my first time on your website, so of course ask me to participate in a survey asking about your website.

Same thing for those email asks, I still haven't read anything on your website, but sure I'll give you my email address, website stranger.
  • 2bfree said:

I'd like it if adblock was updated to block those annoying survey requests. Yeah, my first time on your website, so of course ask me to participate in a survey asking about your website.

Same thing for those email asks, I still haven't read anything on your website, but sure I'll give you my email address, website stranger.

You can customise uBlock to block virtually anything on every page, I don't get the survey requests or email requests.

• edited May 2015
    sK0pe said:

2bfree said:

I'd like it if adblock was updated to block those annoying survey requests. Yeah, my first time on your website, so of course ask me to participate in a survey asking about your website.

You can customise uBlock to block virtually anything on every page, I don't get the survey requests or email requests.

Does uBlock recognize these requests across websites, or are you customizing it for each website? If the former, I may have to switch and try uBlock out.
    Post edited by 2bfree on
  • It's the latter I think but once it's set it applies the rule to other sites.
    Adblock is just inferior to uBlock, it selectively allows ads through. Hell it only takes a few seconds to disable Adblock and install uBlock, try it out.
  • The Munich Regional Court ruled that ad blocking is entirely legal.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/05/27/1745203/adblock-plus-victorious-again-in-court
  • I find it hilarious that the places that tend to portray AdBlock and such as moral imperitives are also one of two types of sites:

1) Content mills (BuzzFeed, etc. type sites that throw up content hoping for free money from the sky)
    2) Skeezy streaming sites (KissCartoon, etc.)
  • I just don't get when people say they don't use adblock because they want to support the sites they go to. If you really care, just whitelist the sites you actually want to support. Some sites I'd really rather not support, and a fuckload more I don't trust the ads, besides just making the sites look shittier.
  • If you want to make money from the Internet, go the route of bands. Make merch or allow people to donate. Don't do ads.
  • MATATAT said:

If you want to make money from the Internet, go the route of bands. Make merch or allow people to donate. Don't do ads.

• What's the best way to block ads on an iPad? The default browser is safari but doesn't allow for extensions. I downloaded an ad blocking browser this morning before going to work but it kept advertising the premium version of itself!
  • What's the best way to block ads on an iPad? The default browser is safari but doesn't allow for extensions. I downloaded an ad blocking browser this morning before going to work but it kept advertising the premium version of itself!

Set up your own personal ad blocking proxy and route all your tablet's wi-fi through the proxy which filters the ads or run a Windows Surface / Pro then install an ad block. I'm not sure if there are any tablets that run Linux but that would also be an alternative.