This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Trusting Application Downloads

How do you trust the software you download is what you think it is? Tonight on GeekNights, we explore that question in light of Sourceforge's disgraceful ad-fueled intrusion into the GIMP's installer on their site. In other news, MinGW conflicts badly with MSVCRT in some situations to mess up your floating point numbers, and Google has made a big move by separating Google Photos from G+, giving it unlimited storage, and having a killer UX.

Don't forget that there are many different feeds for subscribing to GeekNights exactly how you like! Also, if you want us to come to our third PAX Australia in a row, let us know!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• You better talk about PuTTY.
  • What's the story about PuTTY?
  • We talk about PuTTY at length.
  • Pegu said:

What's the story about PuTTY?

You don't wanna know what PuTTY's problem is.

TLDL: you can't download it securely.
  • Download it with Ninite?
  • Gmail or Inbox by Gmail?

Google Play Newstand or Google News and Weather?

Why 4 r u so many redundancies Google??
  • Gmail and Inbox are for different people. Inbox if your lazy, Gmail if you're all pro.
  • I'm lazy and I use Gmail.
  • Switched completely to inbox. Don't miss gmail.
  • Speaking of baffling shopping experiences online - I tried to order curbside take-out from a major chain restaurant, and found that their credit card form had a drop-down for expiration date that topped out at 2019. My card is good until 2020. Way to go!

And on the topic of frequent flier miles, one of the first things Bush actually did when he got into office was to change the law for employees and their travel miles. In the past, the miles were government property and could only be redeemed for official travel. Bush put a clause in that year's defense authorization bill allowing employees to keep rewards. Like Rym said, it's just another perk that keeps the employees happy. Besides, tracking miles at an organizational level sounds like a huge pain in the ass that likely wasn't cost-effective.

We also have mandatory city-pairings, pre-negotiated with all the different airlines. So of course I have a small pile of miles with just about everybody. The only time I ever got enough for a free flight was when several airlines bought each other, and my accounts merged!
  • Holes! I need holes!
  • Oh, we also talk about air miles and how eDreams is some scammy bullshit. ;^)
  • Rym, your Turkish Airlines miles should be good for any Star Alliance flight. Same with all the One World airlines and Sky Team airlines. They share flights and miles and all that.
  • Pegu said:

Download it with Ninite?

I've never used that, but I suspect using a third-party downloader is not going to fix your problems. Where does Ninite get it from?
  • My brother-in-law works for Kayak, I'll email him and see if he knows anything about that eDreams business.
  • UncleUlty said:

My brother-in-law works for Kayak, I'll email him and see if he knows anything about that eDreams business.

I'm just really curious. That site is the shadiest I've ever seen.

• A lot of people swear by Ninite. Mostly Windows sysadmins, who want to install a bunch of apps at once with less hassle. Personally, I don't trust it.
  • edited June 2015
    I tried ninite very recently when I did a fresh install after changing my mobo and CPU. It's convenient but I was a little irked by it. It didn't quite work the way I thought it would. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me at some point.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I didn't get to see the feature in action in the Windows 10 preview but it has a package manager that works from Powershell, which you can also try out if for some reason you're running Windows Management Framework 5.0 beta. It's called OneGet.
    These are the commands I used to install VLC on the machine -

Find -package -name VLC
    Install -package - name VLC

I've been using MinGW for some of my C coding so I could write it in Notepad++ rather than an IDE.
    I'm still trying to work out why 80 bits are used for double and long double. I haven't had to use longs for any of the tiny programs in C yet.

Not sure why the industry continue to keep using Java for non object oriented projects and regular applications, likely because it is opensource and cross-platform (but isn't C++?). Most University students don't like it, most working programmers have also said it is inefficient in terms of the characters typed to getting stuff done (e.g. try and read in and write out information in Java vs C or Python).

I was using a Machine learning program that was written in Java and if you didn't regularly clear the buffer, it would suck up all the memory while doing the next few calculations. Looking back on it, the program may have just been written poorly.
    Apreche said:

A lot of people swear by Ninite. Mostly Windows sysadmins, who want to install a bunch of apps at once with less hassle. Personally, I don't trust it.

I would be wary of the stuff they're including. I just have a repository of old installs on one of my hard drives so when I do a refresh and need to do something and don't have it installed, I install it and it usually auto-updates. Ninite looks like the EDreams of installing programs.

Rym, your Turkish Airlines miles should be good for any Star Alliance flight. Same with all the One World airlines and Sky Team airlines. They share flights and miles and all that.

Yeah Turkish Airlines is part of the Star Alliance which might sound like a futureempire but is actually a comprehensive airlines network, you might even be able to use them to fly to Australia.
  • I have used ninite for a while and haven't run into any problems
  • I've used ninite multiple times and never had any problems. That's not to say they couldn't turn evil though.
    sK0pe said:

I would be wary of the stuff they're including.

Yeah. Some of the stuff in there used to be good but has recently turned evil like foxit reader is still included. Supposedly they don't include the extra taskbars and adware that is sometimes bundled with software these days, but they could still screw up and it might be harder to tell right away because it's all automatic.
  • nmap is having a similar problem. The maintainer basically disavow the sourceforge downloads.
  • Good news everyone! PuTTY might die soon!

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/looking_forward_microsoft__support_for_secure_shell_ssh1/archive/2015/06/02/managing-looking-forward-microsoft-support-for-secure-shell-ssh.aspx

Keep in mind, this is the third time Microsoft has tried to implement SSH and failed. If I read correctly, it seems they're also apparently trying to make it so you can SSH INTO a Windows box? At least they're working with the OpenSSH team.

I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Apreche said:

Good news everyone! PuTTY might die soon!

Yeah I've been using Kitty and WinSCP for quite a while but if the functionality is built into the shell it will be pretty good.
    Seems that Powershell is the way Microsoft is trying to appeal to people who use both Linux and Windows operating systems. Also they've been very open with all the other products in the last year or so (and as a result I've been using more of their products), it seems to be falling in line with other decisions. Windows 10 seems to be give me feelings of the very early release of Windows 95 where you were competent if you could use the GUI but you were a wizard if you could exit to DOS and do everything (and more) from there (for muggles anyway).