This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Today I Learned...

Today I learned that is is actually, really, not-even-joking, a ticketable offense to sit on any New York city subway or platform seating if you are obese to the point that your body isn't fully contained within a single partition.

If you're mega fat, you can get a ticket if you sit down.

Comments

• Also if you're fat, the floor is lava

• Dazzle369 said:

Also if you're fat, the floor is lava

I will not mock that man for he has skills that I shall never have.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Yeah. Also points for not touching the bar.

• Every year the bench makers should make their seats narrower and call it social progress.
  • Today I learned that developers of Data Mining, Machine Learning and Data Warehousing programs think we still live in the 90's and program UI to resemble this.
    Also that most University software has ass for UI.
  • Rym said:

Dazzle369 said:

Yeah. Also points for not touching the bar.

Nothing to mock there. Just some badass DDRing.

• Who's mocking? Tell me their names!
  • Here's something I learned today while writing another section for PATROL.

You know the term "fragging", for killing your superior officers? Term comes from the Vietnam War, which I knew. What I didn't know is that there were nine hundred suspected cases during the conflict. That's 1.5% of the casualties total.

Don't get involved in a land war in Asia.
  • Interestingly, it's also an almost exclusively American phenomenon. Australian forces also had "fragging" incidents during the Vietnam war - A grand total of three. One of which was a shooting which was confirmed to be due to a soldier suffering from PTSD. Another, with a grenade, because the officer had busted members of the regiment for drinking within the tent lines, but allegedly held drinking parties in his own tent, along with other inconsistent leadership.

By sheer coincidence, one of the people who was minorly injured in the incident was Lieutenant Peter Cosgrove, who later went on to become the Chief of the Army, and later, Chief of the defense force. He's the current Governor General of Australia.
  • There was a lot of p crazy factors involved. An endless parade of green draftees for an incredibly unpopular war who more or less met their officers in the field before spending months at a time crawling through the jungle getting shot at with no respite was a big one, but another stand-out factor was unbelievably disgusting racism; the US was pretty much using the black population as cannon fodder. At one point, something like 41% of draftees were black when they only made up 11% of the general population... but pretty much all the officers were conservative whites. You can see how this would lead to some pretty shitty stuff.
  • OBS works well when you need to record clips for a presentation
  • There was a lot of p crazy factors involved. An endless parade of green draftees for an incredibly unpopular war who more or less met their officers in the field before spending months at a time crawling through the jungle getting shot at with no respite was a big one, but another stand-out factor was unbelievably disgusting racism; the US was pretty much using the black population as cannon fodder. At one point, something like 41% of draftees were black when they only made up 11% of the general population... but pretty much all the officers were conservative whites. You can see how this would lead to some pretty shitty stuff.

I believe it.

Don't forget, my city's only race riot was because US troops in WW2 got real pissed off because we refused to play nice with their demands of segregation. And I know civil rights and race relations were still not exactly in tip-top shape by the time Vietnam rolled around, so it's no surprise that it was the same old fucked up shit.
  • edited May 2015
    I got a few things:

1 - A diplomatic victory in Civ V is a lot harder then it needs to be since the UN can not be built anymore but rather earned once someone goes into the information age.

2-Locating PBS Documentaries online for panel work is a pain in the ass and the only means I could get it was in a physical copy (hope I can rip the damn thing)

3-When trying to record your desktop to create videos to use at a convention, ignore all of the obvious software stuff that is out there and modify OBS. It works better then you would think.

4-I need to do some damn good trickery things to edit the NXT panel to go within an hour.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I didn't realize fragging was specifically a friendly-fire, superior officer. Thought it just meant kill. Videogames.
  • ...they've grown more capable. Soon they'll adapt...

• Great. It can jump over things that are bright magenta.
  • You gotta crawl before you dominate humanity
  • TIL that Edison never electrocuted an elephant.

I already knew that he didn't electrocute small animals - that was his associate, Harold P. Brown - but I thought that he had been involved in the execution of Topsy the Elephant.

Turns out to not be the case - thanks the the Rutgers project "The Edison papers", which have been studying the 5 million bits of documentation about Edison's life, we have documentary evidence that proves he wasn't even present, and had nothing to do with the whole sorry spectacle. The electrical work for the execution was carried out by electricians from New York Edison/Edison company, but Edison himself hadn't had anything to do with the Edison company for a number of years, by that point.
  • Loudr actually gets the royalties to the original artists for the various cover bands
  • Continuing my Vietnam War-themed Today I Learns as I research my RPG, today I learned of the XM-2 Personnel Detector. It was basically a chemical sniffer backpack with a wand you connected to the end of your rifle, and you used it to find hidden people out in the jungle.
  • 12 minutes of Hodge podge music sampliers takes about 3.5 hours to edit...
  • Today I learned that I hate YouTube and would do just about anything for a less-terrible, viable alternative to exist.
  • Today I learned that I hate YouTube and would do just about anything for a less-terrible, viable alternative to exist.

Why?

• Rym said:

Today I learned that I hate YouTube and would do just about anything for a less-terrible, viable alternative to exist.

Why?

Let me guess, takedown notices by bots and the teeth grinding process to prove them wrong.
  • Coldguy said:

Rym said:

Today I learned that I hate YouTube and would do just about anything for a less-terrible, viable alternative to exist.

Why?

Let me guess, takedown notices by bots and the teeth grinding process to prove them wrong.
    The teeth grinding process of clicking a button?
  • Female military vets nearly 6 times more likely to commit suicide than civilians http://circanews.com/s/sSN

The rates for people are approx. As follows
    Female non vet 5
    Female vet 29
    Male non vet 21
    Male vet 32

All numbers are approximate per 100,000.
  • edited June 2015
    Shouldn't the story be that female veterans are just as likely to commit suicide as male veterans therefore gender should not be considered when deploying soldiers?
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • The story just mentions how female veteran suicide rates are approaching to be equivalent to male, but both are overall greater when compared to non-vets with additional statistics.

There is no indication of any sort of gender bias in regards to deployment of soldiers. Do you just like seeing some sort of conflict where there isn't any?
  • Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

Rym said:

Why?

The teeth grinding process of clicking a button?
    Oh, ContentID I have no problem with beyond the fact that, when it strikes, it eats up the first 30 days of revenue for me. I've never lost a ContentID Dispute.

What has really gotten to me lately are the emails asking to prove I have the right to use media commercially in my videos. They've been coming after my old Thing of the Day videos HARD recently and, according to a Google phone representative, there are no computers involved in the process, That wouldn't be a problem if the computers understood what a creative commons license was. All of the Thing of the Day videos use a song that is CC BY-SA for BGM, but YouTube wants me to get in touch with the artist and get them to sign an agreement that I can use the songs commercially. That is stupid because that defeats the whole purpose of Creative Commons. The phone rep I talked to couldn't do anything about it because the process is mostly automated and suggested I email Google Legal.

If you have a fully automated system, you NEED to have some way for customers to contact you if something goes wrong. And they just don't. Not within YouTube. I have to talk with the LEGAL department of ALL OF GOOGLE? Who are probably not going to be able to do anything about it anyway?

This is a major driving factor behind me seriously looking into starting a Patreon and eventually making all of my old videos non-monetized. Just to avoid this bullshit. I make maybe $5-6 a month on YouTube Monetization and it takes $100 total earnings before they send me money so I don't even really consider my channel as any revenue.

Even moreso, I'm looking around at other platforms because having all your eggs in one basket is a bad idea in general.
  • This is what happens when you try to make moneys.