This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Time Crisis 5

Time Crisis 5 is the topic of GeekNights tonight, having just played a bunch of it in Wildwood this past weekend. We haven't discussed Time Crisis since 2006! Time Crisis is (was) a staple of arcade gun games, and 5 is a fine addition to the franchise. In other news, the Megaman Legacy Collection is coming and stress is driving developers out of the videogame industry. Come see us at ConnectiCon in a month!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• I think at the end of the day, people care about Mega Man because it's a chance we can pay Capcom for Mega Man gaming content and prove to them that it makes money.

Not that they need that to know, but...Still.
  • The PlayStation port of Time Crisis absorbed an entire summer of my life. I still play other Time Crisis machines when I can find them (ie. never)

• edited June 2015
    I played that shit with a goddamn Playstation controller. There was a point where it was just too difficult to proceed. I had most of it memorized up to a certain point.

I really dislike those videos about people reacting to things because the point is always "look how stupid this younger or older generation is."
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • re: Mega Man Legacy Collection: They are taking the restoration super seriously.

I trust Cifaldi implicitly when it comes to emulation.
  • The original rail shooter (for me at least), Virtua Cop on the Sega Saturn.

Time crisis on the Playstation 1 with GunCon, and House of the Dead shotguns/ machine-guns on the arcade machine at the cinema.

Who remembers Silent Scope?

Then a long while later played Ghost Squad in the arcade, which had a pretty good force feedback sub machine gun. Then got it on the Wii to use with my zapper.

Along with Links Cross Bow training and House of the dead Overkill.

Time Crisis has always been the superior rail shooter though. I find Virtua Cop use to be the most hilarious. Overkill is offensively terrible.

My friend owned Guncon 3 for the PS3, for Time Crisis 4. Was really accurate, came with a bunch of sensors to surround the TV. I don't remember the game being too much fun though.
  • Omg silent scope! Of course I remember it, but why did I forget during the show?
  • Scott, could you have been mistaking the plot of Timesplitters for Time Crisis?
  • I know I retweeted several Frank Cifaldi Mega Mantweets into both Rym and Scott's timelines, so I'll take partial responsibility here. I am fully on Team Rym in this debate. When I heard guys like Frank Cifaldi and Mike Mika were heading this up, I knew it was going to be the 100% NES authentic "this is what we put in the museum" edition that would serve a few purposes beyond the existing compilations.

My excitement is not tied to Mega Man. Like Scott, I already have all these fucking games! I'm more excited that a company like Capcom is willing to pay people to do 100% authentic preservation, and that they picked the best people on the planet to do it. I am excited for the future.

You can laugh at the 100% authenticity if you'd like. I laugh at the audiophile crowd. Emulators are fine for me and most people, but I would like the original stuff to be preserved somewhere.

The company has developed an entirely new game engine (the "Eclipse Engine") that will be used to achieve this super-authentic emulation for Mega Man and all future projects. I'm interested to see how that works. It's all PR buzz. It's obvious what the end result is, but there are literally zero details of what's going on technology-wise.
  • Scott, could you have been mistaking the plot of Timesplitters for Time Crisis?

Never played Timesplitters. The beginning of Time Crisis 1 definitely takes you through a medieval castle.

• Scotts memory is having a... time... crisis AH-TEHEHEE

(″・ิ_・ิ)
  • I want to play some time crisis now. Where do I can?!
  • Dazzle369 said:

I want to play some time crisis now. Where do I can?!

Wildwood NJ.

• Rym said:

Dazzle369 said:

Wildwood NJ.

Somewhere not America
  • Dazzle369 said:

Rym said:

Dazzle369 said:

Wildwood NJ.

Somewhere not America
    Japan.

• Dazzle369 said:

Rym said:

Dazzle369 said:

Wildwood NJ.

Somewhere not America
    arcadefly/ has the list you are looking for.
  • Rym said:

Dazzle369 said:

Rym said:

Dazzle369 said:

Wildwood NJ.
    Somewhere not America
    Japan.
    I'm still kinda bummed that I haven't seen the table flip game anywhere.
  • I wonder how well Time Crisis would play on a PS1 emulator for the Wii. Alternatively, I wonder if a pc PS1 emulator would emulate the lightgun with the mouse well. Its no lightgun, but it would beat playing the game shittily with a gamepad.
  • The important thing is to go play Time Crisis now, because all of the guns will be broken in about 2 days.
  • While I always enjoyed Time Crisis, for me, the best gun game was always Point Blank for the original Playstation. Also put out by Namco, Point Blank was a mini-game competition where you and your friends compete in a bunch of different challenges. I loved all the various mini-games from shooting targets to having one bullet to shoot a falling leaf form a tree. My friends and I used to have a blast having 4 person competitions.

Apparently, they made two more sequels, but I don't think the franchise ever made the jump from PS1 to PS2, which is a shame. I would love a modern Point Blank or at least a way to play the original, with Guncon. I have one of the original 60gb launch PS3 with true PS2 and PS1 backwards compatibility. I'm sure the game would work on it, but have no idea if the PS1 Guncons are compatible, or if my PS3 Guncon for Time Crisis would work with Point Blank.

• One of my favorite DDR jams to play and just listen to
  • http://namcofunscape.com/

This may be the last remaining arcade in London, can't be sure. There are some bowling alleys and pool halls with arcade machines, but it's not quite the same.
  • What kind of teleprompter did you get?
  • It is not hard to make great lightgun games for the home consoles. They just have to be on Wii/Wii U!

I was seriously excited for the Wiimote when it first hit, not for the stupid waggling, but for the mouse-like control that pointing at the screen could give you. It made Resident Evil 4 even better. It made the Pikmin series better. It also made lightgun games trivial to produce, and we did get a few: two Resident Evil shooters, a House of the Dead compilation, and that new grindhouse-style House of the Dead. Even Nintendo put out Link's Crossbow Training. Where are my Wii U lightgun games at?

Having a serious stable of gun games was one of the things that made me love the Dreamcast so much. I think I've said this a few times before, but I sunk serious hours into House of the Dead 2. The challenge modes they added the game were fantastic. I'll never forget how satisfied I was at finally perfecting the "shoot zombies off of the hoods of cars that are swerving at you" challenge. That shit was hard.
  • Playstation has been supported minimally by the guncon controller, but now has the PlayStation Move which can be used as a gun. Gun con is the most accurate for the consoles, but the wii remote will suffice most games.

But to mention peripherals that made games more fun.

The game the kept giving. I remember loading my VMU with the item library for Powerstone 2, which enabled you to have access to your own crafted items during the match. My friends would call cheats because I would always have wedding cakes and super items like the meteor. Pahaa good times.

Think I played Mario party with the bongos once at an ex's. Can't remember how well I did.

imageimage

Never had this hardware combo, I still cry sometimes.
  • I always thought the VMU's were cool, but the batterylife was shit and they use those damn little lithium cells. Would AAA's not suffice?

I liked those little bongo's. I wanted to like Donkey Konga but my main problem with it is that it made a little drum noise along each note rather than just adding that note to the song like in Guitar Hero or Rock Band. Jungle Beat was actually pretty fun with the Bongo's though, and I wish Donkey Kong Barrel Blast was released with Bongo support like it was originally supposed to.

My Gameboy camera was basically my first digital camera. I got it quite a few years after its release at a thrift shop but still probably more than ten years ago. Man the pictures look shit now, but there's a lot of interesting stuff in there besides the camera. I always wanted the printer though. I managed to pick one up a couple years back but I never managed to get any paper for it.
  • I never once killed the battery on a VMU. I guess my use was lighter than I thought. I really miss the Dreamcast. It got shorter shrift than it should have. If they had just included a second analog stick it would have made a nearly perfect system. I can't recall the names of the Sega arcade ports that I really enjoyed back then (tanks and mecha in a 1v1 arrangement) but they were glorious in their time.
  • Once the battery is gone, the VMU will continue to function as storage, but it will make an annoying beep every time you turn the Dreamcast on.
  • muppet said:

I can't recall the names of the Sega arcade ports that I really enjoyed back then (tanks and mecha in a 1v1 arrangement) but they were glorious in their time.

Virtual-On?

• edited June 2015
    @ninjarabbi You can buy the paper on Amazon.

The VMU batteries weren't so bad, I used to buy a bulk of batteries off Amazon though.

If the Dreamcast was modernised, these things would last forever. Leave all the functionality the same, but improve the hardware. Make the motherboards integrated chips, replace batteries with USB chargeable lithium packs and we're good to go.

@pence you can turn the beep off
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Really wanted to try the fishing game, with the fishing rod, never had an opportunity.