This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071114 - The X-Men

RymRym
edited November 2007 in Manga/Comics
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about The X-Men. In the news, Mythwear has vanished, and Marvel takes its first halting steps into the digital era with Marvel Online. Also, remember that we are guests of and will be performing at the New York Anime Festival in NYC December 7-9 2007.
Scott's Thing - Manga: des Origines à nos Jours

Rym's Thing - Hit Me Baby

Comments

• Are any of you guys interested in doing that sword fighting contest at the NY Anime Festival? (general question - not just for Scrym)
  • Are any of you guys interested in doing that sword fighting contest at the NY Anime Festival? (general question - not just for Scrym)
    Ah, no.
  • The New York Anime Festival is December not November, seeing as well it's already November 14th.
  • edited November 2007
    *sigh* Dammit, I really want to go to the convention so I can meet you guys in person, but it would cost me about $200 to just go there for one day (and that's if i don't buy anything other than food while I'm there). Stupid tuition.
    Oh well, Maybe you guys will go to Anime Boston and I can catch you there.

Say, I wouldn't suppose some of you kind folks would be willing to help a guy go to his first anime con, would ya? :)

If anyone would be willing to donate, I'll email you a copy of my album as gratitude. My paypal name is SonicDH@gmail.com :)
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited November 2007
    *sigh* Dammit, I really want to go to the convention so I can meet you guys in person, but it would cost me about $200 to just go there for one day (and that's if i don't buy anything other than food while I'm there). Stupid tuition. Oh well, Maybe you guys will go to Anime Boston and I can catch you there. Say, I wouldn't suppose some of you kind folks would be willing to help a guy go to his first anime con, would ya? :) If anyone would be willing to donate, I'll email you a copy of my album as gratitude. My paypal name is SonicDH@gmail.com :)

Wow, if it only cost me 200 bucks to get to New York I'd be ecstatic.

Continue with the "ThINgS OF the DAAAY!!!!"
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • *sigh* Dammit, I really want to go to the convention so I can meet you guys in person, but it would cost me about $200 to just go there for one day (and that's if i don't buy anything other than food while I'm there). Stupid tuition.
    Oh well, Maybe you guys will go to Anime Boston and I can catch you there.

Say, I wouldn't suppose some of you kind folks would be willing to help a guy go to his first anime con, would ya? :)

If anyone would be willing to donate, I'll email you a copy of my album as gratitude. My paypal name is SonicDH@gmail.com :)
    You're in Boston? Why don't you take the cheap ass China Town bus?
  • I wonder if I am going to be in total disagreement with Rym and Scott on this eps. (will check back later)
  • "Gekiga, its rapetastic." - epic
  • You might want to check out the House of M TPB. It's a stand-alone written by Brian Michael Bendis - well, as much of a stand-alone as it can be anyway. It's the only underwear pervert comic I've bought in the past *counting* ten(?) years, unless Origin counts (it has no spandex in it, having taken place in 19th century Canada), which is another good one. Then there's Marvel 1602, another good one of which I am also unsure about it's underwear pervert status.

So maybe I buy more underwear pervert books than I'm willing to admit, but those I listed are in my opinion worth reading.

p.s. - Do Top Ten, Powers, and Watchmen count as underwear pervert comics? If they do, my claims of buying only one such comic in the past ten years is becoming increasingly inaccurate.
  • 1602 is great. I haven't read House of M, but from what I know about it, I don't think I will enjoy it. I don't think I'll enjoy Origin either. Part of what makes Wolverine cool is that his origin is always a mystery, explaining it sort of ruins it. I read Top Ten, it's ok. I've been meaning to read Powers, but haven't. Watchmen is certainly underwear pervert comics.
  • I've been meaning to read Powers, but haven't. Watchmen is certainly underwear pervert comics.
    *sadface*
  • I recently finished reading the most recent tpb of Powers: Cosmic. I'm really looking forward to the next tpb release in December. I hope Scott reads this series soon, so I can hear his thoughts.

Xeno,
    How are you enjoying Powers so far?
  • Man,X-men was awesome back in the Fox cartoon days. I remember watching them every Saturday afternoon. Back in the early 90s almost no one knew the rest of the characters from the Marvel and DC universe. I kind of knew Spiderman, Electro, Doctor Octopus, Superman, Batman, etc from the very old 1970s cartoon. But it was because I watched just to much TV back then. Granted that when those episode were aired in Peru it was already 20 years after they were aired in the USA. Can you imagine one day you are watching those campy spiderman episodes and then you get the Fox cartoon? It was really something.
    Anyhow the usual way to get american comics was to go to a barbershop and read them for free while you wait for a cut. It was awesome cuz sometimes there would be huge lines and you can be the whole morning just reading comic books. And if you are really lucky you might be able to read a whole story arc while you wait :P .
    Then in 1995 we got the the Marvel Pepsi Cards. I do not know if you guys had this in America but back in Peru it was huge. But we could buy a packet for very cheap or we could trade 3 seals from pepsi bottles and get a pack of cards. Then when we have enough we could trade them between friends than then we could put them on a plastic album. It was awesome because at back of each card we were able to read the back story of all the marvel characters to date and then we had no need to read all the comic books.
    I really like the artwork on those cards and some of them where "holographic" or in "3D". Now, I look back to the past I am thinking on maybe bid for that set : P
    Also if you want to read X-men and follow only one tittle, then you should read the trade for "House of M" and then wait for the trade of "Endangered Species". Basically "House of M" innactivated the mutant gene of about 91.4% mutants. I think what " Endangered Species" is trying to do is to put all the mutant stories into one single book (just like spider-man).
    However, at the moment I would recommend Astonishing X-men. Its last issue will be release on December and then I think the final trade will come later that moth. It is a very good read and very entertaining.
  • I recently finished reading the most recent tpb of Powers: Cosmic. I'm really looking forward to the next tpb release in December. I hope Scott reads this series soon, so I can hear his thoughts. Xeno, How are you enjoying Powers so far?It's consistently the best comic I've ever read. The only other comics I've read for a similar length of time are Bone and Y: the Last Man, but both of those tended to wander from their main story. Powers was designed so that so that it doesn't need a main story; it's about detectives and the cases they're trying to solve.

There are really only two things that bothered me about Powers so far. The first is the explanation of the eternal nature of powers, and specifically how it applied to Christian. However, it only bothered me initially, when it seemed like it was just shoe-horned into the story. I've since warmed up to the idea, and I like how they used it with Callista. Secondly, I don't like what they're doing with Deena, but it may make sense depending on what happened to her (and what she had done about it) before she partnered with Christian.
  • I really need to reread the other Powers, however I only have volumes 1-3. I plan on getting more this weekend. A lot of things on what happened to Deena are a bit fuzzy, however, I agree, I don't like what's happening to her, however it creates more conflict. I do hope she gets through it. I am so digging with what happened to Walker. I am excited to see what else he learns about what's happening to him and the origins of it.
  • I don't think I'll enjoy Origin either

It's absolutely TERRIBLE.
  • I enjoyed Origin.
  • When Scrym were discussing cartoons of their childhood, Batman: The Animated Series was not mentioned hand in hand with X-Men. In my opinion, that is blasphemy, heresy and sacrelige. Honestly . . .
  • Keep saying "Things of the Day", Rym.
  • Things of the daaaaay! You have to keep saying this or I will fly over there and bitch slap ya.
    edited November 2007
    YES! Upcoming swag! And I agree, keep saying "Things of the day" all Rym-like. Geeknights != Geeknights - "Things of the day". Same goes for the opener... and content. Best it to put it in the poll on the main page though, sure there are listeners out there who don't care, or think it would be better.

What was the second question again?
    Edit: Oh yes, sure filter along. We don't get your commentary on videos when we find them ourselves. XD
    Post edited by ... on
  • Sooo....

Just playing with some ideas here, I have never been to America, I have never been to an Anime con, I have 2 days holiday left... I could technically go.

But would it be worth it? Would I enjoy it if I don't have that much experience with Anime apart from some of the more main stream shows (Gits, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun etc) What if I get lost!?! Which airport is best to go to ? Hotels?
  • I doubt you're going to get a hotel room or cheap flight this late in the day.
  • How could you guys talk about the X-Men but fail to even mention the coolest of them all, Nightcrawler?!
  • How could you guys talk about the X-Men but fail to even mention the coolest of them all, Nightcrawler?!
    You mean nightcrawler, that annoying punk who could have been Beast's son and just teleports around with poofs of smoke? Right, only slightly more useful then that girl, what's her name? Yellow coat, pink glasses, fireworks from her hands?
  • I doubt you're going to get a hotel room or cheap flight this late in the day.
    Meh, I found a cheap flight, just no idea about looking for a hotel and getting round etc.

Nineless, that would be Jubilee, probably portrayed as the most useless X-man I can remember

• Nineless, that would be Jubilee, probably portrayed as the most useless X-man I can remember
    Dazzler.
  • clxclx
    edited November 2007
    Post edited by clx on
  • I know who Jubilee is. I'm saying Dazzler was more useless.
  • Ah, well when you replied to my answer with "Dazzler" another energy throwing X-man, it came across as if you were correcting my answer to Nineless, not my statement about her being useless, as there was no other words in your reply in which to establish context.