This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• Apreche said:

can you imagine the British flying the flag of the USA? Could you imagine Russia flying the flag of Germany?

Yeah, but the US and Russia won. It would be more like... East Germans still flying Nazi flags.
  • Apreche said:

Can you imagine Scott flying the flag of Rym?

Well, the south still flies the regular US flag, doesn't it?

• Starfox said:

It would be more like... East Germans still flying Nazi flags.

• edited June 2015
    I've always been curious to read a northern textbook on the civil war because I've heard it's quite different from the most likely (read certainly) southern version I read in middle/high school.

Edit: found this after browsing a bit http://www.mtgriffith.com/web_documents/southernsidecondensed.htm
    Post edited by Dubyaz on
  • edited June 2015
    Churba said:

Apreche said:

Can you imagine Scott flying the flag of Rym?

Well, the south still flies the regular US flag, doesn't it?

The South isn't flying the US flag. The USA is flying our flag in the South.

We're also flying it on the moon, so every other country can suck it! 'MERICA!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

Actually, with sun bleaching, you're flying a White flag on the moon. On behalf of the Nation of Australia, we Graciously accept your unconditional surrender, and would be happy to see you flying our flag by Monday at the latest.
  • *grabs popcorn*
  • Churba said:

Apreche said:

Actually, with sun bleaching, you're flying a White flag on the moon. On behalf of the Nation of Australia, we Graciously accept your unconditional surrender, and would be happy to see you flying our flag by Monday at the latest.
    At this point, you can have it. I think Australia, more than any other country, knows best how to govern lots of completely uninhabited and desolate land.
  • Apreche said:

At this point, you can have it. I think Australia, more than any other country, knows best how to govern lots of completely uninhabited and desolate land.

Looking at the current leadership, I'm not sure I'd go quite that far...

• Apreche said:

Churba said:

Apreche said:

Translation

• Hey man, we might have our problems, but you know we'd have a resort and camel races, and discovered at least five horrible things that want to kill you there within the month.
  • Churba said:

Hey man, we might have our problems, but you know we'd have a resort and camel races, and discovered at least five horrible things that want to kill you there within the month.

Thus discovering life on the moon. How fast can we get them up there, again?
  • Churba said:

Hey man, we might have our problems, but you know we'd have a resort and camel races, and discovered at least five horrible things that want to kill you there within the month.

How high can a kangaroo jump?
  • Not as high as Bruce Lee.
  • Starfox said:

Not as high as Bruce Lee.

Or Michael Jordan.
  • Amp said:

Churba said:

They normally keep it between about 1.5-3 meters when they're on the bound, but if they're jumping for height and they have the space to get moving, they can clear 9 meters - about 30 feet.

• Churba said:

Amp said:

Churba said:

They normally keep it between about 1.5-3 meters when they're on the bound, but if they're jumping for height and they have the space to get moving, they can clear 9 meters - about 30 feet.

And I think we have our answer as to why Auz should not get the moon, as after about two weeks it will be over run by killer space roos. Now if we got it we could finally have the Queens Royal electric fusiliers.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2015
    Now that SCOTUS has shut down every legal challenge to the ACA, the GOP is doubling down on "repeal" as a campaign issue.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2015/06/26/rubio-among-lawmakers-vowing-to-repeal-obamacare-following-supreme-court-ruling/

It's not unlikely that gay marriage and "Obamacare" are going to be their primary issues in 2016. What is it with conservative jackoffs and lost causes?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I really can't fathom why conservatives hate Obamacare so much except that they see it as some sort of slippery slope towards further government involvement in healthcare (and they all hate Medicare even though most of them are on it...)

Maybe that's all it is.

Because the ACA has really done FUCK-ALL to change the broken-as-shit, mostly privatized healthcare and health insurance industries in this country. They're still making plenty of money, the inefficiencies and book-cooking are still going on as always, and if anything, my premiums have gone sky high compared to ten years ago (though they have probably flatlined partially as a result of the ACA in the past 2 years, which is sort of a band aid applied too late.)

I don't understand why progressives love it so much except that it's a tiny, TINY toe-hold towards maybe having something better in the future. People keep telling me that Obama is gonna back door an American NHS using the ACA as his starting point. I don't see it. I hope they're right, but I don't see it.

Great, a bunch of people now have (pretty terrible) health insurance where before they had NO healthcare coverage at all. That's good, but it's not even close to good enough nor do I see how it can possibly rise to the level of something that conservatives can justify being angry about.
  • I really can't fathom why conservatives hate Obamacare so much
    Because of tribal politics. It doesn't matter if the idea is good - the messenger is hated, and so is the idea.
    I don't understand why progressives love it so much except that it's a tiny, TINY toe-hold towards maybe having something better in the future.
    I don't believe most progressives actually like the ACA - what they like is that it's progress towards a useful system.

It has had modest success in slowing the growth of healthcare spending (which was one of its goals), and has brought insurance to a great number who didn't have it before. It'll still take a while for more benefits to hit the market, but it's a very small step in the correct direction.

Now if we could get basic income and single-payer universal healthcare - well, we'd almost be civilized.
  • I don't get why people think you should have to pay to stay alive. It'd be one thing if one side of the debate believed it, but even most people who support the ACA think that not dying should come with a fee.
  • edited June 2015
    I think it comes down to poor education, tribal thinking, and lots and lots and LOTS of propaganda.

Then there will always be the people who think that raising the boats of others somehow lowers theirs.

Also, WhaleShark, I think basic income is a literal inevitability. We'll get it kicking and screaming, but we'll get it because there won't be any other option except for the homeless problem starting to look more like a zombie movie.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Between the Confederate Flag coming down from government buildings, the ACA being held up, and now gay marriage becoming legal, it's been a rough week for the old, bigoted Republicans.

In case anyone is interested, here is a twitter feed of some of the most vocal anti-gay people and organizations who are acting like the world has come to an end. https://twitter.com/Qqmarriageequal/lists/bigottears

Their tears are so delicious.
  • edited June 2015
    I read some vaguely concerning things about the TPP and privatizing education and it makes me suspicious of all these progressive victories clustered so closely together at the same time, but it's hard to do real, actual research on the thing since apparently it's all a state secret or whatever. I'm struggling to understand how an international trade agreement gets to have an NDA that can't be broken by the elected officials of democratic countries.

Otherwise: hooray! This is good stuff.

Deciding whether to panic: http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/9/29/history-largest-tradeagreements.html
    Post edited by muppet on
  • From some of what I have read or heard the tpp will allow businesses to sue countries for practices that impede their business (at least to some extent) and force countries to pursue copyright infringement.

In addition the NDA is set to lift in about 15-30 years after it takes effect. So by the time you know what all is in it it will be so embedded in systems it will be a bitch to try to do anything about it assuming mega corporations don't just make countries their do whatever they want.

Though I could be entirely wrong about any or all of that the prospect alone is frightening.
  • Yeah so, hmmm..

https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp

The EFF says that this has some scary stuff about the internet in it, at least.
  • Yeah, the TPP has a lot of scary copyright stuff - basically with it passed, signing countries have to adopt American copyright law and allow our media companies to bring suits in their courts. Among other things.
  • I knew it was bad news when Republicans joined with Obama.

In other news the Supreme Court ruled that it isn't any of the government's business who you marry, so that's some good news that is no doubt distracting everybody from the TPP.
  • edited July 2015
    The South Carolina House has voted to remove the Confederate Battle Flag from the grounds of the State Capitol. So for once they did something right.

Also, this.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on