This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steven Universe (and general Cartoon Network chat)

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Ha.
    Incidentally, remembering Garnet had three eyes means that the Ruby/Saphire fusion of closer than I had thought, since it's not as much of an abnormality. It's not 2+2=3, it's 1+2=3.
    Also, holy balls that Onion kid is messed up.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • That whole episode I'm like "man, Onion is going to grow up to be a serial killer."
  • edited July 2015
    For not really having a male presence in his life Onion could be worse. His Dad is always gone away at sea. His stepbrother Sour Cream is all about his music and doesn't seem to make time for anything else. All he has is Mom really. Kid is gonna be weird. He does looks up to Steven in his own way. And having Steven as his best friend is a good thing for him. Onion isn't on the path to ruin just yet I don't think.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • edited July 2015
    Its not just that his dad isn't there much. They didn't say it explicitly but I definitely got the vibe that he might be abusive, at least verbally, judging by the fighting they mentioned.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Possibly but I thought that was more about Yellowtail being upset with Sour Cream playing his music to loud and wanting to be a Dj instead of a fisherman. Though I understand how the fallout from those arguments would also affect Onion.
  • This is random, but today's fact on my snapple cap is "A pearl can be dissolved by vinegar" O_o
  • DJ Sour Cream had some ripe beats going, I would go to his raves. I hope he gets an episode soon, cuz you gotta love Posehn, and it seems the other Cool Kids get more screentime.
  • Everyone knows you can't rave in a raincoat.
  • Everyone else thinks Breakfast Friends is basically a meta joke about SU, right?
  • Everyone else thinks Breakfast Friends is basically a meta joke about SU, right?

I'm 300% certain that Crying Breakfast Friends is what SUverse Rebecca Sugar is making.
  • edited July 2015
    I want to make a spin off Crying Breakfast Friends about late night Snacks. Call it Laughing Midnight Munchy Buddies.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I had an idea once for a brand of decently healthy but still broadly appealing food, specifically marketed as being for when its late and you're hungry and want real food, without causing a lot of noise for others in the house. So no microwave or crinkly packaging, not just chaaaaps or whatever. But just a quick, filling food meal item to go.

I have zero idea what the menu would actually be.

I would call them "Midnight Chowls"

Terrible name? Terrible name. Awesome name too tho.

As for the continuation of Stevenbomba;

Jamie is great as a character if not actually an actor. He seems to be setup as the guy who is really driven, but isn't really all that great, at least not yet, and so you have to figure out how to respond to him. You need to be honest and critique well, but also support his ambition and not crush it. Both this episode and Love Letter seem to address that aspect of him, and those people are all around, and many probably feel they are that person in some aspect as wel. Dealing with it is challenging. I approve.

Vidalia on the other hand is shown as being at least a pretty darn good if not great painter. Her talent is obvious: but yet we don't see her with some little beachside gallery selling paintings (which, having grown up on the New England coast, beachside galleries are the hot thing.) So I wonder what gives with that. she totally could setup a little gallery (maybe hire Buck Dewey to help run it, doing screenprinting and what-not even) yet she doesn't seem to work. Yet Onion seems to be old enough to run off and do literally anything the hell he wants so I don't see her being a stay-at-home mom being a full description of her duties.

She must stay busy enough though, since apparently her and Amethyst haven't seen eachother since apparently before Onion was born. I could buy Amy just being busy and not thinking anything of 10-20 years going by without seeing a friend, but would Vidalia go 10 years living within a short run's distance from one of her good friend's houses, and not see them the entire time? It just doesn't pan out logically.
  • edited July 2015
    People lose touch like that a lot, though. Keep in mind that it would also probably be around the time Rose had Steven, and she had been involved with raising him. Also, she's not human and, from what we can tell, damn near immortal. 10 years might be an easy amount of time to get distracted for.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I want to make a spin off Crying Breakfast Friends about late night Snacks. Call it Laughing Midnight Munchy Buddies.

Hey Victor, new name for FNPL? ;)

• Who needs Kansas? Jamie is well on his way to making his dream come true.
  • Did anyone else get a serious Eva vibe from Pearl furiously trying to kill the fake Peridot?
  • The Gang is back jack.
  • "Giant... Wo-man?"

I'm sorrynotsorry.
  • "Giant... Wo-man?"

I'm sorrynotsorry.

• What is Lion? Is he supposed to be a familiar/summon that Rose Quartz had and now Steven takes care of?
  • God damnit. I've seen less than ten episodes of this show. So I go to torrent it today since I know a bomb just wrapped up. The torrent has 50+ episodes?!?!?! This show isn't that old. How did they make so many?
  • edited July 2015
    It's because each episode is so short, like an Adventure Time. There are 67 episodes so far but each is only about 11 minutes, so it's really more like 33-ish full TV episodes. Still a decent amount, but the show's been going for over a year and a half now, so it's not that unreasonable when you think about it.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Fusion is not Fucking. :/
  • Fusion is not Fucking. :/

It's not not fucking though.

It's a unique thing that has many facets, it certainly has some parallels to human procreational activities and intimacy; but has its own contexts and rules and all that jazz.

There are times in the show when the experience is essentially used as the equivalent of an intimate romantic encounter, but it also at times is used as a tool in the arsenal to achieve things that one gem can't do alone. In some ways that could be compared to 'sex for procreation' but that's a really crappy thing to have to compare to. It's more like a sort of 'ultimate teamwork' allegory where everyone puts the objective in front of their personal differences and come together to get shit done. It just happens to go beyond that as well. Which is why this last week's Steven Bomb plot was even a thing.

But if someone wants to just be like 'yeah basically the Gem version of sex' I'm OK with that as long as its mostly tongue in cheek.