This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• I really regret the game broke so bad on that podcast. I went back and made some tiny adjustments immediately afterward to force a shorter playtime and it's worked perfectly every time since.
  • See, Churbs, We helped!
  • edited July 2015

See, Churbs, We helped!

#SaveTacoGrande

Also AV must be a ridiculous ab workout for Sketch every time he's on because I swear every time it's just 45 minutes of giggling at each other.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

See, Churbs, We helped!

#SaveTacoGrande

Also AV must be a ridiculous ab workout for Sketch every time he's on because I swear every time it's just 45 minutes of giggling at each other.
    I like to think my games are just that funny, but the reality is I have poor emotional self-control. I laugh if its even a little funny and cry at children's television.
  • I don't mind, I fucking love it. You laugh easy, but it's infectious.
  • Found out I can do my Tax online, site was competently written but some of the double negative questions are a bit silly.
    However I was able to do my entire tax return in under 15 minutes which is crazy because I usually set aside a few hours to half a day for the task.
  • My student won my school's speech contest (these are popular in Japan) hands down!
  • Bumped into a former student the other day who said she's not only doing well, but got interested in art because of me and is planning on going into college for art history.
  • Bumped into a former student the other day who said she's not only doing well, but got interested in art because of me and is planning on going into college for art history.

Best feeling ever. I'm not a teacher, but I've had similar experiences through tutoring and mentoring.

Best feeling ever. I'm not a teacher, but I've had similar experiences through tutoring and mentoring.
    Oh yeah, this is the best. A freshman journalism major decided to go into CTVA after working with me at the school newspaper. Best feeling.
  • edited July 2015
    Months ago, my brother agreed to not buy any toys with the money he earned doing chores and, instead, save up to build a computer for himself. Recently, he got over the $200 mark, so I ordered the first batch of parts for him.
    A bunch of parts arrived on Friday, but the case got here today and he was so excited that he could start building it.

As you can see, he learned about proper cable routing and management.

He put in screws for every component and plugged a lot of the stuff in too (the front panel headers were a little tricky, so I did it for him). He can't wait until he saves up enough to buy the processor. Personally, I'm so proud of how much he saved, I'm ordering the ram right now.

I am so proud of my lil bro. ^_^
    Post edited by Victor Frost on

• As you can see, he learned about proper cable routing and management.

Comeon you're not going to teach him the dark arts of sleeving or colour matching?
    At least give him the challenge of putting on a CPU cooler of sorts so the back plate window makes sense.

But for real you have to let him choose one accessory for you to buy e.g. mouse or keyboard. I bought my brother a mouse, mouse pad and replacement quieter case fans for his first ever build.

• edited July 2015
    You shouldn't buy a computer a few parts at a time like that. You should buy it all at once.

You just bought a motherboard, case, and PSU. You won't be able to turn that computer on for a long time now. You don't even know if that motherboard works. If it doesn't work, you might be past the point of being able to return it for a replacement.

Not to mention the fact that things might change technologically during the time between when you buy this and buy the other parts. There are A LOT of reasons.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • sK0pe said:

But for real you have to let him choose one accessory for you to buy e.g. mouse or keyboard. I bought my brother a mouse, mouse pad and replacement quieter case fans for his first ever build.

He chose the case. He liked that it has fans with blue LEDS.
    Apreche said:

You shouldn't buy a computer a few parts at a time like that. You should buy it all at once.

You just bought a motherboard, case, and PSU. You won't be able to turn that computer on for a long time now. You don't even know if that motherboard works. If it doesn't work, you might be past the point of being able to return it for a replacement.

Not to mention the fact that things might change technologically during the time between when you buy this and buy the other parts. There are A LOT of reasons.

Actually, getting it a few parts at a time was part of the plan. He's pretty flighty when it comes to saving money and having parts just sitting there for him to see acts as a reminder for what he's saving for. And now that I bought the RAM for him, he's only got $118 left to save, of which he's already got $20. He'll have that processor in no time.

And if things change, no big deal. I built this thing with upgrading in mind. Once he's outgrown 8GB of RAM, we'll replace it with 16. If he needs more graphics power down the line, we'll drop in a dedicated card instead of using the Intel HD graphics on the chip. We could even upgrade the processor to an i7 or an i5 from the i3 we're gonna get. He won't have the fastest rig on the block (that would be mine) but that's not the point. The point was to teach him delayed gratification, savings, and to learn how good it feels to build something yourself. All of which he seems to have learned.

And, yeah, you make a good point about the warranties and all that, but I have a feeling he'll have that processor very soon.
  • He chose the case. He liked that it has fans with blue LEDS.

This can only mean that 2 rigs from now he will have surpassed his teacher. :^)
  • Pfft. LEDs in a case without a window is silly to me. I like my towers to be as silent and dark as possible.
  • Apreche said:

Yeah, you make a good point about the warranties and all that, but I have a feeling he'll have that processor very soon.
    Well, we bought the processor yesterday and it arrived today. Surprise surprise, the mobo isn't working. Checked the power supply with my mobo and ran a continuity check on the power switch for his case. Both work. Amazon is sending a new one that'll arrive tomorrow.
  • On Monday of last week, we started a jury trial for my Murder client. The facts alleged by the Commonwealth, as briefly as I can state them are:

In the early morning of August 23, 2013, my client left his girlfriend's residence in Columbia, KY and traveled to his residence in Tompkinsville, KY. The Commonwealth alleged that he stole $400.00 dollars from her as well as her car. He arrived at his residence, entered and proceeded to his bedroom, where he found a man in bed with his wife. My client says that he doesn't really remember what happened next, but the other guy ended up dead after being shot twice at close range with a .45 cal handgun.

Afterwards, there was the type of chaos one would normally expect after a shooting. My client and his wife remonstrated with each other and his wife claimed that she suffered serious physical injuries as a result of my client assaulting her. The other five people in the house were wakened, and the two people not related to my client by blood claimed that he pointed the handgun at them and dry-fired it at them. Then they claimed that he forced them all into a car and fled to TN, where he threw away the handgun.

My client made a rambling statement to the police that they deemed to be a confession, and they had his wife testify at trial as an eyewitness to the shooting.

My client was charged with Murder (Sentencing Range 20 to 50 or Life), Second Degree Assault (Sentencing Range 5 to 10), one count of Kidnapping with Serious Physical Injury (Sentencing Range 20 to 50 or Life), five counts of run-of-the-mill Kidnapping (Sentencing Range 10 to 20), two counts of First Degree Wanton Endangerment (Sentencing Range 5 to 10), and one count of Tampering with Physical Evidence (Sentencing Range 1 to 5). Oh yeah - he was charged with felony theft as well, but I was able to get that charge severed from the trial.

The best settlement offer we received from the Commonwealth before trial was 20 on Murder, which would be an 85% parole eligibility crime, meaning that he would have to serve 85% of 20 before he'd be eligible for parole.

So, we started the trial on Monday. The jury came back with a verdict on Thursday - Guilty of Second Degree Manslaughter (Sentencing Range 5 to 10) instead of Murder, guilty of Fourth Degree Assault under Extreme Emotional Disturbance instead of Second Degree Assault (Sentencing Range 0 to 90 days in the county jail). They recommended (KY has jury sentencing) a sentence of 10 on the Second Degree Manslaughter and 90 days on the Fourth Degree Assault. He was found not guilty of every other charge.

Second Degree Manslaughter is a 20% parole eligibility crime, and my client has been in custody since the event, so he is immediately eligible for parole. He'll probably be released before Christmas.

So, my client is happy, and we're pretty happy.
  • Joe! We've missed you mate.

Also, good work. I'm glad you're finding some enjoyment in your work again, regardless of field.
  • edited August 2015
    Thanks, Churba. It's been kind of hard to even look at this site lately, what with all the prep we did for the trial. We had to spend a really substantial amount of time with the client to polish his testimony and make him sound at least a little less like a hooligan.

It actually was pretty good work. The client and his family were happy, and the prosecutor and the judge were both PISSED.

But, yeah - Things are going slightly better. I've kinda come to the decision that, even if I can't get traditional employment in Baltimore by the early part of 2016, I'm just gonna pick up and move there ANYWAY since I'm now licensed in MD. One of the only good things about being a lawyer is that you can just start working for yourself. Many other jobs don't give you that option.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited August 2015
    I bet the family of the guy he murdered was pretty pissed too. Congratulations on providing what must have been excellent representation.
    Post edited by AaronC on
  • Man. I assume you can't share too much of your personal opinion as to what was deserved independent of the legal proceedings.

I feel like your line of work would wear me down.
  • I know I wouldn't be able to deal. My natural inclination when I hear about a crime is that everyone involved should probably just be imprisoned to be on the safe side; suspects, victims, witnesses, relatives, bystanders, police, lawyers, judges, jury...
  • There we go. I think I'm officially 100% done the rules part of my Vietnam War RPG PATROL. Now I gotta find people willing to do blind tests of the thing, which... I've never really done before.

Bleh. It never ends!
  • What's that? You want to be on another episode of Acceptable Vices? Why, I don't see why that would be a problem, do you @Churba and @YoshoKatana ?
  • I can dig it.
  • I am getting a large TV for free this afternoon, was told it is good quality but won't know until I pick it up. Time to hook a computer to it...
  • What's that? You want to be on another episode of Acceptable Vices? Why, I don't see why that would be a problem, do you @Churba and @YoshoKatana ?

Churba said:

I can dig it.

Heh. I can definitely set up a tiny map, in media res type game for Acceptable Vices. Who wants to play Australians?

Churba said:

I can dig it.

Heh. I can definitely set up a tiny map, in media res type game for Acceptable Vices. Who wants to play Australians?
    I will, if only to utterly wreck Churba with my "Crocodile Dundee meets Dick Van Dyke" accent.

• This win put me at the top of the Fight Night Combat rankings.