This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

edited July 2015 in Board Games
Coulda sworn there was already a specific Hearthstone thread, but a reasonable amount of searching turned up nothing.

Anyway, so, Blizzard has announced the cards for the next expansion, and I don't know what's going to be more hilariously overpowered: The common that reduces the cost of your hero power, the Dragon that allows you to use your hero power as much as you want per turn, or this mess:

Post edited by Apreche on

Comments

• Ballista Shot?

ME GO FACE!

• I'm more expecting to see Face Druid with this. And Knife juggler Trueheart Pally.
  • Neito said:

I'm more expecting to see Face Druid with this. And Knife juggler Trueheart Pally.

Imma just keep playing mage. No matter what card they print, Unstable Portal just wins games.
  • Apreche said:

Neito said:

I'm more expecting to see Face Druid with this. And Knife juggler Trueheart Pally.

Imma just keep playing mage. No matter what card they print, Unstable Portal just wins games.
    Tempo Mage is so damn fun. Flamewaker/Sorcerer's Apprentice Combos.
  • I've always been disappointed with how lacking shaman has been as a class. I hope it gets some love to at least be a blimp on the meta because right now, it isn't.

And looking at the dragon that lets you use your hero power unlimited times, it's a little narrow to look at that versus a universal common. As for the hero powers, it's all relative. It's only in the context of an individual game that the real impact is felt. It could move the meta by itself but I don't think so. Asking decks to commit to a 6 mana legendary is...a stretch.

Over all, I'm happy they are going to a view that the hero power is important and should be emphasized. The paladin hero power has been more or less meaningless for months now and the new version isn't going to make it any more so, imho.
  • Decks already commit to EmpT. I don't see how another six drop can strain most decks. Except face hunter.
  • Nukerjsr said:

Apreche said:

Neito said:

Tempo Mage is so damn fun. Flamewaker/Sorcerer's Apprentice Combos.

This is my most used deck right now. I usually rank in the low teens, sometimes get down to 10 or even 9 in the late seasons. My brother is way better. He gets down to rank 5 or so. I think it might just be because he plays a lot more games. I steadily rank up the entire season, but then it ends and I get sent back to like 18 or 19.
  • Oh, also. Apreche#1865

I have the spectating quest right now. Please win.
  • Neito#1592.

Also, given where I tend to end up in the rankings (15-18), it's weird seeing decks that aren't just netdeck bullshit.

Also also, you might be right, Scott. Based on how ranking works, any deck with a 50.1% winrate or better will eventually, over enough games, hit legendary.
  • Neito said:

Neito#1592.

Also, given where I tend to end up in the rankings (15-18), it's weird seeing decks that aren't just netdeck bullshit.

Also also, you might be right, Scott. Based on how ranking works, any deck with a 50.1% winrate or better will eventually, over enough games, hit legendary.

Not necessarily. You don't have enough time in a season to win that many games. Also, once you get high enough, you stop getting bonus stars for win streaks. With 50.1% you will hover at the same rank. You need to maintain 60%ish to keep moving forward.
  • I got to Rank 8 with my Shadowform Priest Deck. And that's the highest I've been and the most fun deck to play.

Right now I'm up at 9 with a control Warrior! I just crafted Baron Geddon and Grom. I feel like a total bully with these big expensive cards!

I don't bother with golden cards but I'm levelling up Rogue to max to get the gold Sen'jin Shieldmasta.

TeeGuy#2881 on EU server. :smile:
  • The thing is, it's a fact that the patron warrior is OP #1 best right now. I feel like I should just use that deck to get the highest possible rank. Hopefully the expansion makes it no longer the #1 so I can play something else.
  • So, they announced a few new cards. The only one that's interesting is the new 'lock legendary, Fizzlebang. "Cards you draw using your hero power have their mana cost reduced to 0."

Hello, insane handlock builds again.

Hello, return of Zoolock.

They also announced that they're not bringing any new classes into the design anytime soon, but rumor has it we'll finally have more than 9 deck slots.
  • I never understood the desire for so many deck slots. I only use like, 3 at a time.
  • Apreche said:

I never understood the desire for so many deck slots. I only use like, 3 at a time.

I have a deck for each class, plus a few for classes I really like.
  • Scojo#1534

Yeah, essentially find a deck that has a 60% win rate and you can climb over time. The rest of it is understanding the meta game and what to expect when your opponent plays Turn 3/4/5. Patron Warrior is not only the best deck, but it is incredibly fun imo. Surprising thing? Oil Rogue is also incredibly powerful, but I barely see it. (So it's good to play right now)
  • Nukerjsr said:

Scojo#1534

Yeah, essentially find a deck that has a 60% win rate and you can climb over time. The rest of it is understanding the meta game and what to expect when your opponent plays Turn 3/4/5. Patron Warrior is not only the best deck, but it is incredibly fun imo. Surprising thing? Oil Rogue is also incredibly powerful, but I barely see it. (So it's good to play right now)

Yeah, Oil Rogue is dangerous. You don't think you can die, but weapons are basically minions with charge. What's the damage on that thing again?
  • +3 to your weapon, combo: +3 to a random friendly minion.
  • Neito said:

Decks already commit to EmpT. I don't see how another six drop can strain most decks. Except face hunter.

Not every deck and not every circumstance. Your position is accepted, however I still stand by mine.

Emperor T. didn't pave the way for whole new archetypes, he just opened the door a little on existing ones. Any deck with him could stand to lose the slot and have anything else drop in. I've won plenty of games with my patron warrior without a sniff of Emp T.

I'm sure that it'll see play but not a cornerstone of any one particular deck. Hearthstone, as Scott's video pointed out, is about smashing faces and it takes a special circumstance for a statistically unimpressive 6 drop to move the needle.

Just my few cents.
  • It's going to be interesting to see it in practice. Remember, this time last year we were all talking about Foe Reaper and dissing Dr. Boom.

That said, you do have a point that she's statistically unimpressive, but I see her replacing "utility" five-six drops, like Loatheb or EmpT, in hero power based decks like Handlock, especially with Fizzlebang being a thing.
  • I forgot to mention. Everyone should refrain from spending their gold. Now that we know an expansion is coming, you don't want any of the current packs. You want Grand Tournament Packs. I guess if you are ridiculously good at arena you can spend gold on that and profit, but otherwise start hoarding!
  • Same with your dust. I can see some very important day 1 crafts in this set already.
  • Play Tavern Brawl for Packs and do all the quests, but save the money.
  • I have over 6k gold.

My body is ready.
  • That wasn't much of a comeback. He has complete board control when the video starts, and the Shaman has no cards. The real comeback happened before that video started when he somehow killed off the last of the Shaman's useful minions.
  • Apreche said:

That wasn't much of a comeback. He has complete board control when the video starts, and the Shaman has no cards. The real comeback happened before that video started when he somehow killed off the last of the Shaman's useful minions.

Yeah. I didn't realize I had a chance to come back until I already had major board control. I think I'm going to start recording all my matches now that I have the Win10 XBox Game DVR thing. Or just set my "Record that" for Hearthstone to like half an hour.
  • Yeah, that video is just top deck wars. Not really much of a comeback because you had the board control with all those creatures. Why trade the Black Knight instead of the Novice and Axe Flinger anyway?
  • Enjoying the Masquerade Tavern Brawl this week. I'm using a deathrattle shaman. Lil' Exorcist is great. Cult Master is working well with the line of Wisps and spiders that come from my 2 drops. Baron Rivendare is excellent this week too. I'm thinking of adding in a pair of Undertakers although they won't benefit from the deathrattle effect themselves.

I don't think the event was well described. I'd misunderstood it myself first time and I keep coming up against others that clearly don't get it yet. Best one was when a druid killed my minions with Poison Seeds and it filled my board!
  • Enjoying the Masquerade Tavern Brawl this week. I'm using a deathrattle shaman. Lil' Exorcist is great. Cult Master is working well with the line of Wisps and spiders that come from my 2 drops. Baron Rivendare is excellent this week too. I'm thinking of adding in a pair of Undertakers although they won't benefit from the deathrattle effect themselves.

I don't think the event was well described. I'd misunderstood it myself first time and I keep coming up against others that clearly don't get it yet. Best one was when a druid killed my minions with Poison Seeds and it filled my board!

Yes, Hearthstone does a very bad job of explaining its rules. That's why you get stuff like this.

Some cards people aren't considering very much for this challenge are

Nerubian Egg, when it dies get TWO things.

Pint-Sized Summoner, Mechwarper, Faceless Manipulator, Volcanic Drake, Summoning Portal, anything that lets you put out a minion for less than it's actual cost.

Void Terror has won me a ton of games.