This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Mario Maker

Got this today. Here's my first level. I wanted to put more stuff in but I don't have much unlocked.

Mario's Nightmare Dungeon 1-1:
1021-0000-002b-81aa

Comments

• Awesome. It doesn't take long to unlock more content. I've been watching Jeremy play.

There have been some really great user created levels. It's too bad that you can't share the code's of other people's creations. There is a level called たのしスてージ (Translation: Fun Stage) that is impressively difficult, but not impossible.

I really want the code of the PAX Omegathon Finale. I've done some searches, but came up short. Tempted to tweet @RKhoo to se if he can get the details.
  • Here is a dungeon level Jeremy made: E2F1-0000-002E-B32A.
  • edited September 2015
    Rochelle said:

There have been some really great user created levels. It's too bad that you can't share the code's of other people's creations. There is a level called たのしスてージ (Translation: Fun Stage) that is impressively difficult, but not impossible.

I think you can. I need to double check but I think when you look at a listing there's like a [ ! ] button or something like that and I think when you press that it displays the share code.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I want to play this more and more, but still not enough to buy a Wii U.
  • Apreche said:

I want to play this more and more, but still not enough to buy a Wii U.

If you hold out for the WiiU2, the craze will already have passed.
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

Oh well. Moar Rocket League.

Also, you think Super Mario Maker 2 will never be a thing? HAHAHAHA.
  • I love all of the Mario Paint references. Not just the undodog and the rocket eraser, but yesterday, a game of Fly Swatter spontaneously broke out inside the level editor. If you go back to the title screen, you can also click the individual letters of MARIO MAKER and get bizarre results.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

Apreche said:

Metroid/Zelda maker.
  • Matt said:

Apreche said:

Rym said:

Apreche said:

Metroid/Zelda maker.
    Metroid Maker would get me to buy a Wii U today.
  • It's unfortunate that the Amiibo skins only are usable in Classic Mario and not the other versions. I need to make more to unlock all the stuff.

You're missing out on all the fun, Scott. :P
  • I look at Wii U like it might be Nintendo's last hurrah. I'll never fully count them out as a company, but I also acknowledge that things are on a decline. At the same time, they are pumping out some first party gems, so I am living it up.

They are making significant changes as a company under this new leadership. They are streamlining all of their operations to save cost, but are removing their signature structure of internal competition among separate development divisions. If Miyamoto were to peace out in the next few years, it'd likely be hard to recognize the new Nintendo, for better or worse.
  • Try getting the eraser close to Mario in creation mode... he doesn't like the implication.
  • edited September 2015
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Holy fuck that was great.
  • Polygon is having amazing game designers make Mario levels. The latest is Tim Rogers of VideoBall fame. His level is so pro.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/9/16/9338957/videoball-tim-rogers-mario-maker-stage-super-mario-maker-level-design
  • Rochelle said:

Holy fuck that was great.

He just narrated the plot of Heavy Rain, still freaking awesome though.
  • Never played Heavy Rain.
  • Well, it's not quite Heavy Rain, but sort of similar.
  • Heavy Rain is actually really fun. Played it all in one sitting at my friends house, dramatising every action through my own narrations. Was hilarious.

Makes it fun for other people to watch you play. It's a choose your own adventure game with quick time events, there's multiple endings.

Fun times, I recommend playing.
  • I tried theming levels off song titles.
    4FF2-0000-005A-2E27
    D302-0000-005A-33CE

• When Antoine Bauza designs a level, you play it.
  • edited September 2015

2A8F-0000-0049-9485
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Whoever made that level deserves a kick in a painful area.
  • There was a sale on Amazon for $50 and I caved. Arrives Wednesday.
  • It's surprisingly fun to make levels. Beyond Rocket League it's the game I've been playing the most.
  • It gets bonus points for being playable entirely through game pad, which leaves the monitor free for PC usage.
  • Apreche said:

Whoever made that level deserves a kick in a painful area.

More like a high five. That is some level craftiness creation right there. To be able to beat that level, you're among the truly Mario-Pros. Also make note, for anyone that wants to upload a level, you have to beat the level before being able to upload it.
  • Apreche said:

Whoever made that level deserves a kick in a painful area.

Sometimes you need to die in order to learn how to progress. You fail, but gain knowledge. This is a hallmark of retro games, but one that Mario does not lean on as a crutch. Then you get something like this monster of a level. It's impossible to clear on your first try, OK, but it's not just 1, 2, or 3 puzzle points where you need to die. The whole level is a giant fucking puzzle. It'd probably take you 50+ lives to grind through the solution to every step.

That's not to say i don't appreciate what's been done here. Much like the Rube Goldberg stages, I think it is impressive as all hell. Much talent is needed to create such a level. It's just not what I want to play when I sit down for some Mario. Much like I didn't want to play a hacked-together RPG using the StarCraft level creator back in 1999.

There is one real flaw with Mario Maker, and that is its challenge mode. They give you 100 lives and throw you 16 levels. If you beat them all, you unlock one of a hundred skins. Luckily "hard" mode tends to not give you abomination levels like the above. "Expert" mode is to be avoided at all costs. I assume they assign a category (easy/hard/expert) based on the clear rates. Nintendo has also done a good job by curating a featured level tab in the stage selection menu. If you sorted only based on user upvotes, it is a shitshow, of course.