This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• Rym said:

Have you followed his state-level politics at all? The whole anti-union fiasco?

Check the avatar, I'm familiar with it.
    Rym said:

Good points

All that is true, but I suspect you're overestimating the stubbornness of many of his supporters. The Democrats were hugely unified before, and couldn't mount a successful recall.
  • yea generally speaking presidential campaign stuff doesn't effect people on the state and local level, see other failed presidential runs by governors who are still governors (or continued to be after their run)
  • Any predictions on who's going to drop out next?

Santorum?
    Jindal?
    Pataki?
  • There's so many bottom feeders, it seems like it'll be random who goes next. I mean, I wasn't expecting Walker to go all the way, but I was expecting him to stay around longer than, say, Lindsay Graham.
  • It's sound like the donors are deciding more than the candidates. Although, when things got tough, Walker didn't really seem to have the fire in the belly.

Santorum?
    Jindal?
    Pataki?

Jindal is in the race?

• "Republican Candidates Scramble to Court Non-Existent Supporters of Guy Who Just Dropped Out"

Santorum?
    Jindal?
    Pataki?

Jindal is in the race?

He's been stuck in the "kiddy debates" along with Pataki and Lindsey Graham.
  • I'm betting a Carson/Fiorina ticket will emerge to show that, even when they pick minority candidates, the GOP are still the most bigoted bunch around.
  • Salon has a good article explaining the GOP.

...it's time to get very afraid
  • It is interesting that the group always spouting about freedom are practically fascists.
  • They don't have the unity to be fascists. They're for autocracy, but they won't settle for anyone but themselves to be the autocrat.
  • Greg said:

They don't have the unity to be fascists. They're for autocracy, but they won't settle for anyone but themselves to be the autocrat.

The same can be said for every autocrat ever?
  • Not in a successful autocracy. The public perception of an autocracy must center around an individual, someone who all the members of the ideology can rally behind. To use Nazi Germany as an example (simply because I know it better than any other), the public image was that Hitler was in charge of everything. That faith in an individual is the heart that drives an autocracy. The Spanish Civil War was lost to fascists because no one coalesced around a single cause. The majority opposed Franco, but without a common denominator, they couldn't stop the united fascist front. In America, no single poster child holds enough support to become the autocrat. In addition to their enemies across the isle, American politicians are hostile towards other members of their party, regardless of policy, if the individual threatens their power. These squabbles are ultimately what protects democracy from a fascist state.
  • They want Jesus as their autocrat.
  • edited October 2015

They want Jesus as their autocrat.

They wouldn't want him if he were actually running, though.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • They wouldn't even want their messiah, Reagan, if he were running.
  • Yeah, they want the bastardized versions they have in their heads.
  • Reagan came out of the middle class. Jesus spent his whole life in poverty. Neither could have become influential in the caste system of modern politics and aristocracy.
  • If you want to talk about the Jesus of the Bible, there's no evidence that he lived his life in poverty. When he was a child he was given expensive gifts, including gold. Did his parents just spend all that wealth before he grew up, leaving him nothing?
  • Which Jesus of the Bible anyway? He's likely just an amalgam of a bunch of other stories about other people who may or may not have existed mashed together.
  • The national polls I keep reading just tell me that the republican party has completely lost it's mind.

1. Trump
    2. Carson
    3. Cruz

I hope something changes things up for the sake of well... our Republic.
  • Rym said:

Which Jesus of the Bible anyway? He's likely just an amalgam of a bunch of other stories about other people who may or may not have existed mashed together.

White Republican Jesus
  • Rym said:

Which Jesus of the Bible anyway? He's likely just an amalgam of a bunch of other stories about other people who may or may not have existed mashed together.

Exactly. None of the stories explicitly say he lived in poverty, but one explicitly says he was given gold and other gifts, and another says that Jesus's group had a treasurer.

And, likely, he's not any group of people, but lots simply made-up stories attached to one figure who may or may not have existed. There is no evidence that there are any multiple people behind the stories of Jesus.
  • multiple people behind the stories of Jesus.

By this, do you mean more than one person authoring stories about Jesus, or Jesus being a mashup of stories about multiple people?
  • I was replying to Rym's point. He said stories about many people were attached to one character. There is no evidence for this. What we have evidence of is lots of different people making shit up about one character.

What a character says is a different matter. Famous people collect quote attributions all the time. But stories about a person don't usually transfer from one character to another. It does happen, but there's no sign that it happened with Jesus.
  • edited October 2015
    From what I understand it's a Life of Brian kind of situation where there were often various different people (usually unsuccessfully) claiming to be the son of God or some sort of messiah, and that was also just a common archetype in myths and stories. There are other known Gods and Deities with similar backstories, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're the same characters, just that the writers didn't have a lot of originality.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • IIRC, the last I heard was that there is actually historical evidence for John the Baptist being real (and having a messianic cult). The opinion was that Christianity was largely a product of the John the Baptist cult and one other similar cult, whose messiah figures were combined into Jesus.