This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Halloween

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about Halloween (we skip talking about apples because we've talked about apples before). In the news, Kickstarter became a Public Benefit Company, and we're still reading the Wheel of Time books. We're also coming up on the 10th anniversary of GeekNights!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• The hanging skeleton.

The ultimate skeleton.
  • pence said:

The hanging skeleton.

The ultimate skeleton.

Is he coming to your house?
  • Dumbest thing I've ever heard of, regarding Halloween, is township regulation of trick-or-treating. Many towns around me have "official hours." Fuck, one of the bigger towns actually moves Halloween to the day before in order to supposedly prevent antics on mischief night (which apparently is only a thing in NJ and Michigan)

They claim that the real reason is they want everyone in town to be participating in the township Halloween parade on the actual day of Halloween, but everyone knows that is bullshit. And the parade blows.

As for ridiculous childhood Halloween costumes, I was once a walking advertisement for Crest. Does anyone remember this obscure-as-fuck mascot from the very early 90's?
    I don't know why there was an official costume of him sold in stores, but I sure as hell bought it and wore it. The mask was pretty deluxe. Plush, not a cheap plastic one. However, the rest of the costume was just a cheap plastic cape.
  • Devil's night didn't fuck around when I was a kid in Detroit.

Firebombs through windows. Abandoned buildings straight-up burned down. Cars destroyed. Serious shit.
  • We used devil's night and mischief night interchangably. Worst that happened was eggs and TP.
  • Apreche said:

We used devil's night and mischief night interchangably. Worst that happened was eggs and TP.

"The destruction reached a peak in the mid- to late-1980s, with more than 800 fires set in 1984, and 500 to 800 fires in the three days and nights before Halloween in a typical year"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Night
  • Yup, eggs and TP here too.
  • So you weren't fucking around when you said it was too dangerous to go out in Detroit.
  • So you weren't fucking around when you said it was too dangerous to go out in Detroit.

Kid was murdered in my backyard. Kitty corner neighbor was stabbed to death in an armed home intrusion robbery. Someone poisoned our dogs once (rat poison) to prevent them from barking at robbery attempts.
  • Rym said:

So you weren't fucking around when you said it was too dangerous to go out in Detroit.

Kid was murdered in my backyard. Kitty corner neighbor was stabbed to death in an armed home intrusion robbery. Someone poisoned our dogs once (rat poison) to prevent them from barking at robbery attempts.
    Trick or treat!

• Rym said:

So you weren't fucking around when you said it was too dangerous to go out in Detroit.

Trick or treat!

• Watching this again I thought, hey, Garfield sounds like Bill Murray. Actually, it's Lorenzo Music, who also did the voice of Peter Venkman in The Real Ghostbusters. So not too far off!
  • Everyone thinks it's Bill Murray if they don't know who Lorenzo is.
  • Apreche said:

Watching this again I thought, hey, Garfield sounds like Bill Murray. Actually, it's Lorenzo Music, who also did the voice of Peter Venkman in The Real Ghostbusters. So not too far off!

• Well, that explains how Rym already knew something I had to look up on Wikipedia.
  • Apreche said:

Well, that explains how Rym already knew something I had to look up on Wikipedia.

I knew because when I was a kid, I said "hey, that's Bill Murray!" and my dad was all "no, it just sounds like him."

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

We used devil's night and mischief night interchangably. Worst that happened was eggs and TP.

"The destruction reached a peak in the mid- to late-1980s, with more than 800 fires set in 1984, and 500 to 800 fires in the three days and nights before Halloween in a typical year"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Night
    Wow, '80s Detroit was a Purge Planet.
  • Peru has a purge festival.

Takanakuy. The word translates as "to hit eachother." It takes places Christmas Day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takanakuy
  • Halloween, that time of the year when we would route the garden hose from the backyard to the front yard so we could spray down any idiot who thought they could "trick or treat" outside of the US.
  • edited October 2015
    Wait, you folks don't do Halloween? Huh, I feel like I should have known this already.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited October 2015
    Trick and treating only became a big thing in the UK after the release of E.T.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Wait, you folks don't do Halloween? Huh, I feel like I should have known this already.

Yep. The closest you'll get to it here is nightclubs and bars sometimes having Halloween-themed nights.

Though I've never been on board with bothering people who do want to trick or treat, I just never went in for it much myself.
  • Teru teru bōzu
  • If you guys are looking for a new Halloween special to watch I have one for you care of some adult puppeteers in MN. Its less than an hour and hilarious.

• edited October 2015
    In regards to the discussion about investigative people not doing their jobs, what about starting an organization that goes after those low hanging fruit like the guy that logged into Scott's Xbozz account? Should be fairly easy for tech savvy gentlemen to do, and I believe possession of stolen goods is a felony so you can make citizens arrests (please for the love of god correct me if I'm wrong, IANAL). Could be like the cyber Watchmen.

Edit: Actually I just remembered that I can do you one better. In a lot of states you can get a Special Law Enforcement license, which makes you a leveled up security guard. Ticketing powers come standard but you can go through training to get full arrest powers. So we could start a company based on investigating cyber crimes and crimes that have a cyber component and have agents that could full on arrest the criminals.

Edit 2 Electric Boogaloo: Looks like those are only in specific states, and only Kentucky and Virginia look like they allow what I described.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • We never got to do Halloween when I was little. My dad would insist it was an American only thing and it just wasn't done in England.

It's funny, now that he's trying to become an American citizen he seems to love it!