This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• What's funny is that they're mad the new technology makes the game less athletic and more skill based. They want to be rewarded for their mechanical strength and the time it took them to build it.

They're MMORPG players.
  • If the only complaint was "the brooms are damaging the ice" I'd be right with them.
  • TFA said:

Top curling teams say they won't use high-tech brooms

Not for long, they're not. With that attitude anyway.
  • There is something to be said for limiting technology to make a specific kind of competition.

But at the same time, I increasingly am uninterested in sports that are at the high end of play purely determined by (in order):

1. Money (for professional lifestyle and training)
    2. Genetics (high potential without resorting to drugs)
    3. Drugs (and the tech to hide their use from officials)
    4. Luck (when there is no additional input for skill or athleticism and tiny fractions of a second determine the winner).
  • Got some examples?
  • I'm deeply bored with olympic/professional footraces of any kind. The margins of victory are so small, the top competitors are the freakish results of lifelong training and professional preparation of their bodies, and breakthrough times come almost entirely from genetic variations.
  • Ah right. I read somewhere that a large part of improvement over the last 40 years or so is down to better running track surfaces and shoes. Roger Bannister broke the four minute mile on a cinder track. His calculated time on a modern track is way quicker.
  • Imagine baseball if crappier bats/balls were used to prevent home runs and force a lot more field game.
  • Rym said:

Imagine baseball if crappier bats/balls were used to prevent home runs and force a lot more field game.

That was the deadball era, maybe minus bad bats