This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Post Properly or Risk Being Banned

edited November 2007 in Forum Stuff
As the moderation here has been, shall we say, lax of late, I simply wish to remind all of you that basic spelling and grammar are prerequisites for the continued privilege of posting in these esteemed forums.

Certain among you have been particularly egregious in your offenses, and I have doubts as to your basic intelligence or past performance in primary school, let alone that you will contribute meaningful content at any point in the future.

Be aware of your grammar and spelling. Only post if you have something to contribute. Fail at either, and I will publicly submit you to Rym and Scott for court martial and banning. What I offer now is your single chance to avoid rebuke. Take heed. From this point forward, I will be vigilant.

Comments

• Ok everyone, the self righteousness has landed. Time to emigrate.
  • Our savior has returned!
  • Forums? I was under the impression that there was only a single forum, with multiple categories.
  • Hail! Hail Mr. Period!
  • Oh crap.

Can I, and all other people in the same situation, get a special something, like treatment, or a blank-looking card, or something (no ideas)? Seeing as English is not my native language and that English high school classes here are pathetic. There is so much grammar that has never been taught to me properly. Stupid school system, but then again, where isn't the school system crap in some way?
  • If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have guessed English isn't your first language. Compared to 80% of the internet, you're fine. People worry about this, but really, it's very easy to tell an ESL speaker with poor English from the lazy idiots who populate the internet. The types of mistakes made are very different.
  • Everytime that I post I try to be as clear as possible. Granted it would be a lot easier if there would be a grammar check buttom, like the one we used to have. Also, for some reason when I make a mistake in this forum the browser does not underline my mistakes.
    Anyhow, I will do my best to not expose my horrible grammar and spelling :P
  • edited November 2007
    In the last two hours I have seen a noticeable improvement in spelling and grammar.
    Suggestion: Go easy on people with a comment count under fifty. Just a caution for their first offense.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • In the last two hours I have seen a noticeable improvement in spelling and grammar.
    Suggestion: Go easy on people with a comment count under fifty. Just a caution for their first offense.
    No. We hold everyone up to the same standards. I don't care if you have one or one thousand posts.
  • In the last two hours I have seen a noticeable improvement in spelling and grammar.
    Are you crazy? You have to fix these problems before the members think it is OK to post drivel on the boards. I've run enough forums to know the basics and letting members post crap is never a good idea. Even worse is the fact that these boards have a built-in spell checker and it is only your laziness that prevents you from using it. Well that and if the admin of the PC you are using to post with has it so locked down you can't use the spell checker.
  • Oh crap.

Can I, and all other people in the same situation, get a special something, like treatment, or a blank-looking card, or something (no ideas)? Seeing as English is not my native language and that English high school classes here are pathetic. There is so much grammar that has never been taught to me properly. Stupid school system, but then again, where isn't the school system crap in some way?
    Don't be that down on your grammar skills in English, you're really quite good. When I joined the site, I was actually surprised when I learned you were Dutch.

• Certain among you have been particularly egregious in your offenses, and I have doubts as to your basic intelligence or past performance in primary school, let alone that you will contribute meaningful content at any point in the future.
    I am a fan of Mr. Period (although I suspect he is actually Rym). Grammar policing is necessary.

Yet, I do not believe the above quoted sentence is quite right. It is a bit of a run-on in that it makes four points that could have been split into two or three sentences. But my main problem with it is that it's not parallel. "I have doubts as to your... let alone that you will contribute..." does not follow. "I have doubts as to your basic intelligence or past performance in primary school or contribution of meaningful future content" would have been better. You may have been able to make better use of punctuation as well. "Certain among you have been particularly egregious in your offenses; I have doubts..." is tighter.
  • I don't think those are as much grammar mistakes as they are writing skills and style preferences.
  • Ha ha ha, I am glad I am a lurker. I shall not feel the wrath of your dreaded red highlighting (often).
  • edited November 2007
    I don't think those are as much grammar mistakes as they are writing skills and style preferences.
    I've always thought my style was "poor grammar and spelling".
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • The best example of a poorly run or simply chaotic forum is Gaia. I believe everyone knows what I am referencing and why that place is total crap. Thank you for implementing a set of rules that heighten the overall enjoyment of the forum experience.
  • The best example of a poorly run or simply chaotic forum is Penny Arcade.
  • This thread seems to be as good as any to ask: What are the rules on bumping/reviving old threads?
  • edited April 2008
    I can't believe I managed to find this.
    So take part in new threads. Don't bring back threads from three damn years ago.
    Why not? The purpose of having threads is that discussions are consolidated. I have no problem at all with people posting in old threads, and in fact I'd encourage it.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I love how Scott says that the podcast lacks "readership." I assume it still does.
  • I would just like to ask, Mr Period - What is your position on the spelling of words that have slight spelling differences depending on which country you are from, for example, colour/color?
    Do you take a hard line on American English spelling, or is some British English spelling acceptable?
  • I would just like to ask, Mr Period - What is your position on the spelling of words that have slight spelling differences depending on which country you are from, for example, colour/color?
    Do you take a hard line on American English spelling, or is some British English spelling acceptable?
    I don't think they will be that anal about spelling or grammar. As long as u dun tipe lik dis.
    Ok everyone, the self righteousness has landed. Time to emigrate.
    I had the same feeling. Encouraging people to type with good English is great! Banning people because they typed "Your" instead of "You're" (or something else, maybe not as extreme) is taking it too far.
  • edited April 2008
    I don't think they will be that anal about spelling or grammar. As long as u dun tipe lik dis.
    Good point, actually.

(Pardon for wasting your time, Mr Period.)
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Banning people because they typed "Your" instead of "You're" (or something else, maybe not as extreme) is taking it too far.
    Making fun of them isn't.

• I don't think they will be that anal about spelling or grammar. As long as u dun tipe lik dis.
    I will fix misspellings of words but I don't worry about different English spellings (i.e British or American). We have a check spelling button down at the bottom right of the input box so you guys can make sure you are correct.
  • Someone please tell me why this has been brought up again.
  • Someone please tell me why this has been brought up again.
    You know, I never even realized this was an ancient thread.
  • I love how Scott says that the podcast lacks "readership." I assume it still does.
    Oh, no. I print out a transcript for every day and read it newspaper-style with my morning coffee.
  • All Hail Herr Periode! Lieferant korrekter Grammatik, revealer von gravierenden Rechtschreibung!
  • edited April 2008
    I love how Scott says that the podcast lacks "readership." I assume it still does.
    Oh, no. I print out a transcript for every day and read it newspaper-style with my morning coffee.
    Who makes those? I'd love to get a hold on those. /sarcasm
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on