This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Halloween

2»

Comments

• I did it at boarding school, mainly because it got use out of a load of crap and got us free food. Now its just massive beving and dressing like a tit.
  • edited October 2015
    Scott, to your one-off comment about giving all your employees a share in the company: There are companies that are organized under the Mondragon System. They're not traded publicly, but when you're hired you get one share. You cannot sell it, you cannot buy more, but everyone in the company from the CEO to the window washer has equal say in the company's policies. Big company-wide meetings are held every year, and smaller meetings are organized as needed. All the managerial positions are also elected by their underlings, so generally management is looked upon nicely since the majority of people wanted them there. Mondragon companies also tend to try everything they can not to lay off workers, either moving the workforce to another Mondragon company or not paying out dividends in that year, but everything is voted on company-wide. Lastly, at the end of the business year if the company turned a profit then a percentage of that is paid into dividends for the shares, and each person's cut of that is put into an account that can only be cashed out when you leave or retire.

Also a fair few companies in the collective operate in the U.S.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • I would like to be able to sell the share. This way if the company is worth a lot due to all of our hard work, we can all sell our shares and never work again. I have a hard time trusting people for whom that is not the end-game.
  • Apreche said:

I would like to be able to sell the share. This way if the company is worth a lot due to all of our hard work, we can all sell our shares and never work again. I have a hard time trusting people for whom that is not the end-game.

Who are you going to sell it to? They're not public shares so it could only go to another employee, and everyone is only allowed to own one share.

Besides, you get the dividends (that might not be the right term for it in this system) each year you're employed as long as the company turned a profit, and it's a fair amount from what I understand. Whereas as a normal shareholder in a company you might get one dividend for your dividend account when they're paid out, in a Mondragon company you get 42 dividends put in your dividend account, only with the stipulation you can't use that money until you're no longer in the company.
  • edited October 2015

Apreche said:

I would like to be able to sell the share. This way if the company is worth a lot due to all of our hard work, we can all sell our shares and never work again. I have a hard time trusting people for whom that is not the end-game.

Who are you going to sell it to? They're not public shares so it could only go to another employee, and everyone is only allowed to own one share.

Besides, you get the dividends (that might not be the right term for it in this system) each year you're employed as long as the company turned a profit, and it's a fair amount from what I understand. Whereas as a normal shareholder in a company you might get one dividend for your dividend account when they're paid out, in a Mondragon company you get like 42 dividends put in your dividend account, only with the stipulation you can't use that money until you're no longer in the company.
  • I just want to stop working and never work again as soon as possible, but I also want to have guaranteed food, shelter, Internet, health care, and a few luxuries.

• edited October 2015
    Best advice for that, follow Cartman's system. Start up, cash in, sell out, bro down.
  • I just listened to this episode and Rym started telling a story about a theory about the Garfield Halloween Special then got sidetracked before finishing it.

I need closure on that anecdote!
  • I need closure on that anecdote!

• It was a theory that Garfield was actually a stray cat dreaming an increasingly bizarre food-obsessed life as it slowly died in an abandoned house.
  • Rym said:

It was a theory that Garfield was actually a stray cat dreaming an increasingly bizarre food-obsessed life as it slowly died in an abandoned house.

Wasn't that confirmed in one comic?
  • edited October 2015

Rym said:

It was a theory that Garfield was actually a stray cat dreaming an increasingly bizarre food-obsessed life as it slowly died in an abandoned house.

Wasn't that confirmed in one comic?
    Oh yea, now that you mention in, I remember there was a week or so storyline where it was Garfield alone in an abandoned house. It was wierd, unfunny even by Garfield standards, and out of place.
    In the end I think it was implied that it was Garfields imagination but I guess a theory could be made: "Which was the dream; The abandoned house or the loving family? "

Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • So it's scary movie night and I'm currently watching Halloween 3: Season of the Witch. What does everyone here think of this movie? Terrible movie? So bad it's great? Or underrated classic?
    Me personally, it's far from a perfect movie but there's something I love about this film. It just screams "Halloween". (The season not the movie franchise lol)
  • Nightmare before Christmas works both for Halloween and Christmas. Two for one can't beat that.
  • Hocus Pocus is pretty good too.
  • Nightmare before Christmas works both for Halloween and Christmas. Two for one can't beat that.

Literally just finished my first of two annual viewings of that
  • Well, I guess it seems some people finally decided to put some kind of razor/needle in candy this year. That is, unless there's some kind of conspiracy for attention. haha.
  • Almost surely a cry for attention
  • Tonight is the 11th anniversary of the launch of GeekNights.

spoopy
  • So it's scary movie night and I'm currently watching Halloween 3: Season of the Witch. What does everyone here think of this movie? Terrible movie? So bad it's great? Or underrated classic?
    Me personally, it's far from a perfect movie but there's something I love about this film. It just screams "Halloween". (The season not the movie franchise lol)

Season of the Witch is a great movie. Super creepy, great acting, and it pays off gloriously. People didn't like it at the time (Dur, where's Michael Meyers?) but now people enjoy it as an underrated horror movie classic.