This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

YouTube Red

I don't think I have been as torn on a tech development as I have on this in a while. On one hand, $10 for ad free YouTube with the ability to download videos for offline watching and no need for browser ad ons to do so is neat, but it sounds like smaller creators are getting the shaft money wise and it's causing ESPN to pull its videos in the US. What do you all think about it?

Comments

• Regular YouTube is ad free, so meh.

it sounds like smaller creators are getting the shaft money wise

Honestly? I don't really care. Any business model related to "ads served by a third party on their own website" is omae wa mou shindeiru.

it's causing ESPN to pull its videos in the US.

I'm sure they'll have luck getting as many views on their own website. Shame their own website is garbage.
  • If you've decided to put your videos on Youtube instead of hosting them yourself, you've already agreed to YouTube's terms of service. You've already decided that you are going to cede control in exchange for not having to deal with the enormous task of managing the infrastructure of video hosting, transcoding, and streaming. If you don't like what YouTube decides, you're lucky they even let you take your videos down in the first place. They could just keep them up if they want to! What are you going to do about it?

Host your own videos or just learn to deal with it.
  • As someone who currently makes about $100/month on YouTube ads: I don't care at all. My plan from the beginning was to jettison ad-based revenue once I had enough viewers to make Patreon a viable option. Patreon is about to become a viable option very shortly, so this is convenient timing for me.
  • That's a lot of money from Youtube ads!
  • it really does seem like, instead of spending a bunch of money with Comcast or whoever you're going to be giving a little money each to a lot of people in the near future.
  • it really does seem like, instead of spending a bunch of money with Comcast or whoever you're going to be giving a little money each to a lot of people in the near future.

You mean the right now?

The thing is, the total money is still less overall. Also, as content changes you can cancel and renew different subscriptions, so you aren't paying every single month.

Netflix has a good show? Watch it all, then cancel until they get another good one.

Between Hulu, YouTube, Spotify, Amazon Prime, and Amazon Music I'm paying 12+10+10+10 = $32 a month.

I'm paying about $50 a month for Internet service. To get a measly 20 TV channels I would have to add $15 a month to that. To get a real cable package of 200+ channels I would have to add $40 a month.

For the price of a cable package I can get Hulu, YouTube, Spotify, Amazon Prime, AND Amazon Music and have money left over.

If they gave me the full cable package for $15 a month, I might actually consider it just for sports. Otherwise it would still be a better deal to get something like NHL GameCenter which is about $11 a month. If they just didn't blackout local games, I would get it now.
  • I'll probably get it eventually. You get Google play music and ad-free Youtube Music with it, so it makes it a lot more worth it to me, since I already use ublock anyway. I do prefer Spotify better, but I already have most of my music uploaded to Google play music so that's a bonus.
  • Measly 20 TV channels costs me -$10 per month. I assume this is to get Comcast's subscriber numbers up. Real cable (i.e. ESPN) costs +$50 per month. Yeah... no.
  • So yes, you're going to give money to Netflix and whatnot, but for example, I have a subscription to Giant Bomb, I support some people on Patreon, and it looks like more people Eryn will be going that route as ad money dies.
  • Eryn said:

As someone who currently makes about $100/month on YouTube ads: I don't care at all. My plan from the beginning was to jettison ad-based revenue once I had enough viewers to make Patreon a viable option. Patreon is about to become a viable option very shortly, so this is convenient timing for me.

Apreche said:

That's a lot of money from Youtube ads!

It takes me three years to earn that through YouTube ads. And I made most of it this year. Holy shit, lady. Them Love Live videos must be quite the bank roll for you.
  • I'm already a Google Play subscriber. Getting ad free youtube is icing on the cake.
  • edited October 2015

It takes me three years to earn that through YouTube ads. And I made most of it this year. Holy shit, lady. Them Love Live videos must be quite the bank roll for you.

They really are! o_o Once you get the ball rolling on gaining subs and such, the earnings just shoot right up it seems. To put it in perspective: it took from when I first started uploading videos regularly in late 2012 to about June of this year to reach YouTube's $100 payout threshold -- so about 2 years and 9 months. Since June, I've hit that threshold 4 times over. It's goddamn crazy and I cannot believe it's working so well, so I can definitely see why it's so important to a lot of creators. Advertisers have still been paying pretty good money to big enough channels up to this point, enough for many creators to make a modest to very comfortable living.

That said: I definitely think the ad-based economy of the internet can't last forever. And sure enough, YT Red looks like the first really big step away from that model. Change, she is a-comin'. For now I'm going to take advantage of the ad revenue while the advertisers are oblivious enough to continuing paying it out (definitely not going to turn down money if it's being offered!), but in order to sustain earnings long-term, I'm definitely jumping ship for Patreon-only when the time comes, either when I get enough support on Patreon to justify turning off ads, or when YouTube ads stop paying out anything worthwhile (whichever comes first).
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I'm actually gonna start my Patreon in January. It's gonna launch along with a new YouTube show and the revival of Sounds of the Commons.
  • I'm already a Google Play subscriber. Getting ad free youtube is icing on the cake.

Yeah most people are overlooking having the music service as well.
    Netflix
    Google Music
    Youtube Red

Media done, if HBO or Amazon had a presence in Australia I might need more but since it doesn't, torrents still work great.
  • Is a Patreon-based job economy the new frontier once automation starts to dominate the traditional job market?
  • Only for an economy a few orders of magnitude smaller than it is currently.

Once automation starts to dominate, the idea that anyone should work to earn food and housing will fall by the wayside.
  • Cable companies are offering small packages that, when combined with internet, are indeed cheaper than internet-only plus two subscription services. I simply do not want that cable box in my house, nor do I want more of their garbage channels so easily accessible.

I notice that many people w/ cable wind up using it as a distraction. It's so easy to hit the power button and leave a channel on. This is something my parent's generation does with their TVs in every room, not something I want to do. I want my family to make more active decisions about what they consume.
  • Matt said:

This is something my parent's generation does with their TVs in every room

It's never more apparent than when I visit Wildwood. Scott's parents literally have a TV in every room. Every single room. When Emily and I stayed at a motel down there by the beach once, the tiny thing still have a TV in both the front and back rooms.

• Whenever my gang and I go to a convention, I feel compelled to turn on the TV and channel surf a bit. At best, you sometimes find a whacky local commercial or some wicked weird local news.

Matt's position is the closet to my own view, though. I'm fine having stuff I've already watched or listen to and can fade in and out of paying attention to in the background (low-substance media like Family Guy, for example), but anything new or mentally nutritious has to be my sole focus.
  • I've decided to not consume low-substance media passively wherever I can avoid it.
  • Rym said:

I've decided to not consume low-substance media passively wherever I can avoid it.

I have tinnitus. I either listen to Peter Griffin make lame jokes about abortion, or go crazy from the ringing in my ears.
  • I've always toy with the idea of putting some sort of computer in every room in my house, since I'm wired for it ;-p (and too lazy to carry around the laptop or tablet)
  • Cremlian said:

I've always toy with the idea of putting some sort of computer in every room in my house, since I'm wired for it ;-p (and too lazy to carry around the laptop or tablet)

I would do that if I had a larger house.

• This is pretty BS. Google should be paying out something.

• This is pretty BS. Google should be paying out something.

Mmmm, actually it makes sense.
  • It makes sense in the "why pay money we don't have to?" kind of way but it's still shitty, and they're not exactly lacking in the cash department.
  • If Google paid when accounts on the "free trial" period watched videos, botnets would be signing up for free accounts and watching videos.
  • Rym said:

If Google paid when accounts on the "free trial" period watched videos, botnets would be signing up for free accounts and watching videos.

Isn't that potentially a problem with anything based on view count? Couldn't you do that now to generate dirty ad rev?
  • Apple had the same plan with the free trial of Apple Music, but after complaints from musicians, decided to pay them even during the free trial.
  • Apple had the same plan with the free trial of Apple Music, but after complaints from musicians, decided to pay them even during the free trial.

Why didn't the musicians create a zillion free trials and play their own songs repeatedly?

In Korea this is actually a huge problem called sajaegi.

Basically in Korea/KPop the music charts are a really big deal. In the US people don't pay too much attention, but over there it's like OMG. All these music shows every week use album sales, streams, youtube views, fan votes, and other metrics to determine who wins each week. Each show uses different metrics, but they all hand out a trophy every week.

They also have a strong culture of obsessing over real-time charts. Naver, which is basically the Google of Korea, has real-time charts right on their front page. So everyone can see the list of most-searched terms and the most-streamed songs updated very frequently. If you can get on the real-time chart, then you'll get an enormous amount of clicks.

There's a huge benefit to getting a high ranking. So much so that it's worth it to buy your own album, and stream your own songs, en masse, because getting a high ranking will increase your real sales and streams into profit. Sajaegi is when companies hire someone, or have an employee, with like a zillion phones all automatedly streaming/buying/voting/4channing their own products to boost it up.

If you did that during a free trial of Apple Music you could rake in so much cash. YouTube has much bigger payouts, so there's even more incentive to do so.