This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

3650 days of Geeknights

10 years ago, two weirdos launched a forum. They also record a podcast on the side. A thousand episodes, 0 pushups, and a decade later, they're still going. Hats off to Rym and Scott.

But hokey ISPs and ancient browsers are no match for a good CDN at your side. Well, The Listener made an (Unofficial) Youtube Geeknights channel. For when you want to listen to a GN episode, but you can't get 80MB on your connection. Or their audio quality is too good for you to handle, and you need a transcode-of-a-transcode-of-a-transcode.

What's that? You want hilariously bad transcripts for every episode as well? Well, you're in luck! They're all available on this unofficial Geeknights wiki.

See you in 2025.

Comments

• Huh. Someone had found that channel a few days ago. We couldn't quite figure out why it existed. Makes a little more sense now.
  • I see the value in a Youtube channel, but if your bandwidth is limited wouldn't Youtube be even worse to stream because of the video portion?
  • Certain ISPs (I don't think in the US, but definitely in other countries) have deals where bandwidth from certain major sites (e.g. Youtube, Netflix, Amazon, etc...) don't count against bandwidth caps.
  • I thought I'd also been podcasting for 10 years this month, but it turns out I started in November 2006, not 2005.
  • This account is weird. Made in 2013, but no other comments or posts and only 2 visits. Someone's been preparing this for a while.
  • Hot dam, listened to the first episode and it was a super flash back. Was the day before I left for Nepal and my uncle came round to pick up his dog. He asked who the two idiots playing were. Man that is strange.
  • I started listening to GeekNights back in late 2009, and for all of the shit you guys talk no yourselves, the fact that you are smart yet don't always agree with each other makes you ideal for one singular purpose: keeping the listener's mind engaged and preventing highway hypnosis when driving to work at 5:15AM.

I found GeekNights by searching in a podcast app for some combination of "geek" and "PAX," as I was getting ready to go to the first PAX East. I only wound up hitting subscribe because a recent episode title mentioned NerdNYC, which I had also recently started attending.
  • Related to Matt's story, I found GeekNights after a friend went to Beyond Dungeons & Dragons at the first PAX East. I skipped the panel because I knew what was Beyond D&D (so did she), but she said the panel was great. And then she said the magic words, “They have a podcast.”

It's strange listening to the beta episodes now and realizing that I started listening to your show halfway through your run.
  • We're old, and we've been doing this for a long long time.
  • I found ANNcast and AWO through 4chan, then AWO introduced me to Fast Karate, one of those brought me to Greatest Movie Ever, and one of those brought me here.
  • Rym said:

We're old, and we've been doing this for a long long time.

Could you say that perhaps you are getting to old for this perchance?
    Also ever felt like going back and looking at some of the old episodes and seeing how you have changed.
  • I actually want to take topics from 6-7 years ago and do them again today without listening to the old ones. That would be a very clear comparison of how we may have changed over the years.
  • Amp said:

Hot dam, listened to the first episode and it was a super flash back. Was the day before I left for Nepal and my uncle came round to pick up his dog. He asked who the two idiots playing were. Man that is strange.

I started listening just before I got my learner's permit. Now I've been driving for ten years. Fucking weird.
  • I started listening in like 2006 with the Snow episode, I believe, and here I am today... older and more jaded.
  • I think the first episode I listened to was the Gundam SEED one? It's been a loooong time.
  • Rym said:

I actually want to take topics from 6-7 years ago and do them again today without listening to the old ones. That would be a very clear comparison of how we may have changed over the years.

The big notice I've had is when you guys moved to New York proper. The tone changed a bit, its like you grew up man.

Amp said:

Hot dam, listened to the first episode and it was a super flash back. Was the day before I left for Nepal and my uncle came round to pick up his dog. He asked who the two idiots playing were. Man that is strange.

I started listening just before I got my learner's permit. Now I've been driving for ten years. Fucking weird.
    Yeah you track it back and your like, wait it can't be that long can it?
  • Once we got to New York, we had shit to do.
  • Seems to be the way.
  • I discovered GeekNights because of the run in you recorded and sent to AWO way back when.
  • It appears that the Listener is slacking off, I wanted to use a YT link for something. Ah well going to be doing plan B.
  • I wonder how hard it would be to automate this. I'll look into it if anyone is actually interested.
  • Oops. It was kinda-sorta automated and I let it break. Does anyone really care about this?
  • Oops. It was kinda-sorta automated and I let it break. Does anyone really care about this?

I don't, but out of curiosity how was it "automated"?
  • I wonder how hard it would be to automate this. I'll look into it if anyone is actually interested.

Oops. It was kinda-sorta automated and I let it break. Does anyone really care about this?

It's kinda nice to send a yt link instead of a mp3 file to some of my family. I'd say keep it going.

Parse the feed every so often, compare latest feed entry to latest known episode, download the mp3, create the video, upload to the youtubes.

I didn't have the downloading and uploading entirely wired together in one hands-off pipeline.
  • edited July 2016

Oops. It was kinda-sorta automated and I let it break. Does anyone really care about this?

Parse the feed every so often, compare latest feed entry to latest known episode, download the mp3, create the video, upload to the youtubes.

I didn't have the downloading and uploading entirely wired together in one hands-off pipeline.
    Ah. I may look into this.
    Post edited by SuperPichu on