This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Anime is just Animation

Tonight on GeekNights, we probably anger a lot of people talking about how anime-specific fandom is no longer usefully distinguished from general animation fandom and it's really only Americans who flip out so much about it. This is in light of anime just being available on Hulu now, Netflix making its own anime, and AkibaExpo being a disaster that fell apart before our very eyes.

GeekNights is now on Patreon!

GeekNights T-Shirts have been re-released!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• This episode is obviously intended to anger certain kinds of people. ^_~
  • I'm going to make my own "Triple Threat" panel using this, my "The Source Material Doesn't Matter" panel, and a panel I'm planning called "Your AMV is Probably Shit".
  • Oh wow, I didn't realize that Samurai Champloo was on there. I was thinking of watching that show again. Should just sub for a month.
  • I would like to posit that the "Dave and Joel" formula must contain at least one Jo if not two.
  • On the same note, Manga is just comics.
  • *looks at /r/anime rules he helped create*

*Opens mouth to argue*

*Decides he doesn't give a shit*
  • On the same note, Manga is just comics.

It's hard to not say anime, since the word is used so widely.

But it's pretty easy to say "comic" for all comics, and I try to do so now.
  • What's anime? I thought it was called Japanimation. Will this episode be too confusing for me? Should I skip it?
  • Matt said:

I thought it was called Japanimation.

I'm betting that many modern anime fans are too young to even remember a time when "Japanimation" was used commonly, or that there was ever a time when it was even possible to spark an argument by using the word.

• I remember it being called that when I was very young. I remember specifically knowing that Japanimation was an older and less appropriate term, and that we were supposed to call it anime now.
  • I have a vague enough memory to know I was trolling this thread.
  • edited November 2015
    Correct me if I'm wrong on this but isn't anime just a shortened usage of the word animation. Japanese do love to shorten and abbreviate words in unique ways.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I personally never understood the difference even though I watched Japanimation and cartoons side by side.

Also manga are just comics.
    Being on a weekly release and in black and white is something that comics can do.
    If the weekly release in black and white is a thing, then is there a difference between web comics and web manga?

The French comic album release has been explored previously. Frank Miller did it with Hard Boiled.
    Also French comic albums have small releases in single issues like with Blacksad and The Killer even though the majority of the sales are of the collected album.
    MrPeriod said:
    Who is that guy next to Rym? :wink:
  • Watching that 107 facts about Bojack Horseman really convinced me that the artist and studio working on the show has talent, but the head writer/creator really does not. All that dramas I've watched on Netflix (House of Cards, Narcos, Daredevil) are much more engaging, and all the comedies (OITNB, Kimmy Schmidt, Master of None) are all much funnier. Hollywood is filled with idiotic, depressed, self-conscious people who abuse substances? Shocker.

I felt more in the "Unity" episode of Rick & Morty than both seasons of Bojack Horseman.
  • That unity episode...

that letter to Rick...

that ending...
  • It's the same idea that made the first season of Californication so consumable. I would never argue that Bojack is a perfect show, but I certainly agree that it is a very good one. Rick & Morty is damn near perfect though.
  • Nukerjsr said:

I felt more in the "Unity" episode of Rick & Morty than both seasons of Bojack Horseman.

Rick was a freedom fighter with a long life of victories and failures behind him. He's a broken man, but he hides even the barest glimmer of that from even those closest to him. It's a powerful moment because you see through the cracks.

Bojack is equally flawed. But, he has no victories. He has no causes. He's a broken man for nothing. But he knows he's broken. And he knows that everything he touches, everyone he gets close to, becomes broken. They break because of him. He's toxic, he knows he's toxic, and there's nothing he can do about it.

Rick had something: there is something behind those cracks. Bojack has nothing. It's like watching a slow trainwreck, and the engineer is just staring off into the void.

• Rym said:

Nukerjsr said:

Rick was a freedom fighter with a long life of victories and failures behind him. He's a broken man, but he hides even the barest glimmer of that from even those closest to him. It's a powerful moment because you see through the cracks.

Bojack is equally flawed. But, he has no victories. He has no causes. He's a broken man for nothing. But he knows he's broken. And he knows that everything he touches, everyone he gets close to, becomes broken. They break because of him. He's toxic, he knows he's toxic, and there's nothing he can do about it.

Rick had something: there is something behind those cracks. Bojack has nothing. It's like watching a slow trainwreck, and the engineer is just staring off into the void.

The analogy is apt.
    I think it's really well summed up in his fall from the balcony into the pool. He's fallen and accepted that he can't stop himself from falling and only expects his demise however human nature and the people around him keep him going to slow the fall and demise (as the pool does).
  • sK0pe said:

Rym said:

Nukerjsr said:

The analogy is apt.
    I think it's really well summed up in his fall from the balcony into the pool. He's fallen and accepted that he can't stop himself from falling and only expects his demise however human nature and the people around him keep him going to slow the fall and demise (as the pool does).
    Maybe that's why you guys think that trainwreck mentality of it is so fascinating, but I don't think Bojack is compelling or frankly fascinating enough as a character to keep watching. After the end of the second season with the teenagers and his explicable ability to fail upward, I don't think the show is really going to evolve at all or attempt to make any good commentary about Hollywood or depression. Combine the fact that all the side characters like Todd or Princess Carolyn get involved in stupid sitcom shenanigans, it really became a chore to watch the second season.

I'm not searching for a sympathetic protagonist, but Bojack is written as a broken bird in one-dimensional, melodramatic fashion and show doesn't know how to balance between drama and comedy. The show should aim more towards Louie style of honesty if it wants to really go deep.
  • All the other characters have Hollywood depression and Hollywood issues.

Bojack's problems superficially appear to be the same. But they're not. He's a black hole.
  • Just listened to the show. I feel like I should go down to Anaheim just to see if people show up for the convention that didn't know it was gone.